All reviews onsen hotel welcome drink food was amazing onsen station western style kaiseki meal omi beef japanese sweets gift shop train station japanese experience amazing ryokan private onsen tatami mats pleasant stay breakfast and dinner shabu shabu
Reviewed 11 April 2015

Our recent trip to kyoto led us to this hotel. The service from all the friendly staff and food was exceptional! Traditional japanese breakfast and absolutely impressive dinner was always the highlight we were looking forward to during our 2 night there. The private onsen was also clean and nice. Definitely recommend this for anyone visiting japan.

Room tip: Try their private onsen.
Date of stay: March 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank S Y
hanakaido1075, 営業本部 企画課 at Biwako Hanakaido, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2015

Thank you very much for your contributing a very good opinion. We exert ourself so that various customers can also like it.

Reviewed 8 February 2015

I stayed one night in this hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful. The first impression is good until I stepped inside the room; the room tatami floor was covered with broken tatami mats from door entrance to centre part of the room. I guess the reason for doing so may due to they want to protect their tatami floor from being damaged by the guests. This creates a very bad room image (untidy and run-down). As a guest, I straightaway don’t feel welcome. I have been visited many traditional onsen hotels but this was the first time I saw broken tatami mats laying on the floor. Anyway the hotel room is old and it’s time for upgrade especially the sink area with all the dirt can be seem clearly. Good points are: 1- the dinner and breakfast are good. 2 -both outdoor and indoor onsens are ok.

I definitely don’t want to stay in this hotel again!

Date of stay: December 2014
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank CKP02
hanakaido1075, 営業本部 企画課 at Biwako Hanakaido, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2015

Thank you very much fou your visiting our hotel the other day.
we are also glad in contributing.
Thank you very much for your suggestion the matter of an interior mat.
By a variety of preparation in order to unneind, and we have welcomed everyone,
but we would be harm your mood this time.
Pointed out capped point is willing to greatly reflect.
So as not to waste your opinion we have received this time,
We would like to continue to the nerification and improvement again.
And with the aim of futher satisfaction service and hospitality will continue to more forward
in the future.
thank you very much valuable opinion.

Reviewed 24 May 2013

This is our second trip to Biwako Hanakaido and they didn't disappoint. Someone from the hotel quickly came to pick us up at the station. The staff is so courteous and the facilities are clean, modern and beautiful. There are many who speak some English so communication is not a problem. The general manager, Sakae Naito, speaks excellent English and is so wonderful to talk to. The food is excellent. We had a delicious 11 course dinner in a private dining room and the girls explained each course. The breakfast was also delicious and we loved the well made tofu and condiments. The gift shop has a nice variety of goods to buy. There are two onsen offerings that switch daily for males and females so be sure to go to both. The larger facility is definitely more beautiful but both are equally relaxing. The massage is a really good deal so I highly recommend it. If you have the time I also recommend a visit to the Enryakuji Temple on Mount Hiei. It is very near the hotel and is just a tram ride up the top of the mountain. The view is fabulous and it is a nice walk through wooded areas. This is a World Cultural Site.

Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Gary S
Reviewed 25 December 2012

From the pick up at the Ogoto train station to the time you check out your stay at Hanakaido Onsen will be a great experience.

The staff are courteous and very efficient. The several courses dinner is more than adequate.

Rooms are very clean and comfortable and all with a view of Lake Biwa, the largest lake in Japan.

The large onsen bath is nice and relaxing. The natural hot spa waters will soak away your aches and warm you on a cold night.

Breakfast is traditional Japanese. If you're not a fan of raw eggs they'll fry one for you. Now, if they just offered free coffee with breakfast it would be even better. Coffee is available at the lobby cafe but don't be shocked at the 600 yen per cup (no free refills) price.

Date of stay: December 2012
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank jp2005
Reviewed 1 September 2012

I was with Super Value Tour group and we stayed at this hotel for 1 night. I really enjoyed their welcome drink and red bean bun when we first checked in. The staffs are so nice and they always smile... ;-)

The room is very clean and well organized. Everyone has to remove the shoes and put on their slippers to walk around the hotel. There were not a lot of guests during our stay, so I felt like we were having the hotel to ourselves.

The hot spring bath was so nice and I really enjoyed it for the first time. It was so amazing that the shower place is so neat with all the shampoos and body gels for both Westerner and Japanese.

The hotel also has the outdoor hot spring which is a little cooler than the indoor one. I used the outdoor to cool down after about 10 mins soaking inside. This gives a very good feeling on the body and relaxes all my muscles.

Date of stay: August 2012