“OMG! What a room...”
Review of Nara Hotel

Nara Hotel
Ranked #1 of 65 Hotels / Ryokan in Nara
Reviewed 27 March 2012

So, they totally screwed up my room reservation. They lost it in fact. The guy at the checkin was about to give me a hard time...until I SHOWED him the confirmation email from THEIR website. And then he had me led to a room in the "new building" requiring an elevator that took me DOWN to level minus 4 (or 5?), and to round it off...they took me to a bloody smoking room! I almost flipped out.

So...now you're thinking "sure Chris, so why would you give them a 5 star rating after all that?"

In a word: the manager. In a near boil, I seethed my way back to reception and firmly listed my complaints: booked on the "old historic building", non-smoking, courtyard view. I work in the industry, and could see they were overbooked and had lost my confirmation some how. I asked him to fix the problem.

And boy did he fix it! He showed me to the Imperial Suite, which rack-rated at about 20 times my actual room rate. It was a once in a lifetime room experience, with antiques mixed with modern day niceties, and had a sense of time travel about it. Hotel Nara, are you listening? NEVER LOSE THAT MANAGER. With gracious excellence, he defended your reputation as one of the great hotels of Japan. I'll be speaking about the experience for years to come. That man should give a course on how to be a Hotel Hero.

But of course, that wouldn't be enough to completely overcome the near derailment of my vacation train.

The area was beautiful. The staff (excepting the original check-in buffoon) were perfect...I think I sort of fell in love with Mayumi with her perfect recommendations and soft spoken elegance (ask her where to eat, she won't lead you astray), the lounge area with a picture of Einstein playing piano...on the piano where he once played...the place was a stop on Japanese tourists' visit to Nara.

We're not judged by our mistakes, but rather how we correct our mistakes. And the management at the Hotel Nara proved they deserved a 10 out of 5 for accepting their error and seamlessly correcting for it.

Room Tip: Imperial Suite if your trust fund is paying for it;) Otherwise, just make sure you're in the Ol...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Chris_Sandeman

Reviewed 7 January 2012

Booked a single (all in the new wing ) but very luckily they upgraded me to the old wing. The sense of history was fabulous. Brilliant to be able to wander over to the Deer Park early in the morning; and to see deer just outside my window in the early evening.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank tcyokohama
Reviewed 1 January 2012

The hotel was built in 1904 as the first western style hotel in Nara. Its a nice place ti exoerience tRaditionl Japanese hospitality. Room is comfortable an spacious. A place to go to rest an relax but it's rather pricy. Breakfast was expensive but there was no other choices although nice cafes can be found in 15 minutes walk down the hill from the hotel. Free wireless is available in lobby area.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank 143b
Reviewed 21 December 2011

Nara hotel is a great place to stay for perhaps one or two nights when visiting places like Nara park, Todaiji Temple or Nara National Museum. It is an amazing structure with red carpets and high ceilings, the scenery was also very beautiful.

We stayed in a double room in the old wing, the amenities and cleanliness was outstanding, my only issue was the noise, the structure is pretty much all wooden so you can hear all the creaks from people moving around and what the person in the next room is watching on TV. But it is actually kind of charming to really be in such a historical structure.

It is a bit pricey and not my most favourite stop of the Japan trip, but definitely worth checking out for the interior and the piano that Albert Einstein had played in 1922. However I probably would not stay there again in the next trip to Nara.

Room Tip: The hotel has a bus stop right out the front that goes to Nara and Kintetsu Nara stations, use it, i...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2011

Stayed here for one night in a single room 9000 Yen. The service is excellent with the staff nothing is too much trouble. A lovely old world hotel, it is like staying in a museum with all Nara's history thrown in. A short walk to town to the shopping street and restaurants. 5 minutes to Nara Park, hundreds of deer and temples. The room was clean and cosy with a small balcony stayed in room 3106. Did not eat at hotel as very pricey.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo