See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

I took hot spring here. While i stay female outdoor pool, a male just walked by. I was shocked and scared! I hide myself in the water and wait till that guy going away. Then I came out and tell the staff, they told me it's normal! Normal!? No one warn me first, they know I'm a foreigner without tell me first!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank You-Hua H
Reviewed 20 January 2017

Like an actress in the twilight of her career, the shine on the Okunikko Konishi Hotel has faded but she still retains a depth of character. Fall was an appopriate season for staying at this hotel as the seasons matched the ambience of the hotel.

The dinner meal unveiled the glory of the hotel must have enjoyed in the height of its career. A multi-course Japanese style meal with the sashimi trout so fresh the gills were still pulsing!

The staff reveal the character of the hotel. From the quirky and funny doorman to the store clerk who when above call to give us directions to a sake brewery after we showed interest in the sakes on sale. Much more engaging then the usual efficient but modest staff found at most Japanese hotels.

The onsen, is a bit small but average overall in quality. Where the glow of the hotel has really worn off is the rooms. Our's, although spacious, was in serious need of an update. The mats, fixtures and molding are all very worn down.

I would go back for the meals and staff but not to stay in the rooms.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2016 via mobile

Since the very beginning upon arrival all the enployees are fun and warm and kind of grandpa for all the kids. The hotel has 2 types if rooms and Delux is spacious and beautiful with traditional japanese decoration. The standard is great, too with the confort to stay in an onsen The hot water tab outside is small but confortable and sirrounded by sbow in this season! The food was also excellent. Breakfast and dinner are included in the price so no need to worry about it. The ski center is just 1 away walking distance.

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 December 2015

Stayed three nights in an old property amidst the Yumoto Onsen area. This hotel is away from Lake Chuzenji but it is a welcome rest place. Shuttle picked me up opposite Nikko Tobu station and upon arrival, greeted by minimally English speaking staff who showed me my room and amenities. The attractions are a trek around Yunoko Lake and into the pristine forest around this lake. I also took a good look at the Yudaki Falls within the forest. At the end of a trek, you return to your comfort zone of a good onsen in the hotel. You can book the private onsen for 45 mins at Yen 2,500 as well for more privacy.

Food was breakfast buffet which I would rate as so so. Dinner kaiseki was fantastic with a wide array of dishes cooked in different methods ranging from sashimi, grilled, simmered, steamed and topped off with a glass of sake or wine. I brought my own bottle at corkage charge of Yen 1,000.

Property could be beautifully refurbished as toilets in rooms are old and worn. However mattresses and duvets are clean and I especially like each day's sweet surprises of local sweets in Nikko. I ate them heartily and ended up buying a few boxes at the gift shop on my way out of Nikko.

Overall a rather pleasant stay away from the hustle and bustle of big Tokyo.

Room Tip: Quiet location yet near to a good hiking trail with falls and wild monkeys.
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Linda H
奥日光小西ホテル2416, 広報担当マネージャー at Okunikko Konishi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 December 2015

Dear Linda H

This time, thank you for your stay at the hotel.

I'd like was able to enjoy the Yumoto hot spring area.
Private bath, but we have rented in the usual ¥ 4200, we have provided to the stay of guests at 2500 yen for 45 minutes.

Away from the hustle and bustle of the city, is where you'll spend the slow time.
We will look forward to or arriving. .

Best regards

Okunikko Konishi Hotel

Reviewed 20 June 2015

Perfect to escape from Tokyo crowds and walk surrounded by nature.

Let me go step by step: This hotel is NOT NEAR the temples. For those who want to be closer other properties are better.

Konishi hotel is for nature lovers, those who want to walk around a beautiful lake, with very nice trails, and just to enjoy the priceless environment of Japanese mountains.

We rented a car from Nikko Station to OkuNikko. There is a public bus that runs from the station and stop in the main spots along the road. One of the stops its just in front or very near to Konishi Hotel. If you want to go to the temples, and still be in Oku Nikko the only option you have is the bus, unless you have your own transportation.

The property has its own shuttle bus that departs from Nikko station at around 2:30 pm (please check the schedule). The same shuttle will departure from the hotel to the station at 09:45 am. The shuttle doesn´t stop until Nikko station, so if you want to go to the temples you can walk back around 15 minutes up to the entrance of the compound. The ride from Nikko station to Oku Nikko takes about 1hour 20 minutes in normal conditions of traffic. If you have your own transportation feel free to explore the surroundings...

The hotel is old, you can see it from the entrance. The middle age staff speak English, so for basic communication is ok. The rooms are comfortable, a mixed of Japanese and western style. The bathroom is small. (My room was in 3rd floor). Yukatas, are provided, and you can use them for dinner and breakfast as most Japanese do.

The property has a public onsen and private one. The private one can be used by couples or friends. They set time for 45 minutes bath per room (around 25USD). For those who can stand the hot water of Japanese ofuro, is perfect. For me ... :-) it was rough 5 minutes before I felt boiled. Anyway is a great experience and if you don´t want to be naked in front other people, this is the perfect place.

The food was very good and fresh. They have two kind of menus (English written) which you can combine. Be sure to tell them in case you have any allergy or other medical condition that requires special care with food.

The food is served from 6pm. The dishes has good size. As we felt full we just went for a walk outside. Perfectly safe to walk in the semi darkness of the street.

The breakfast was ok. Western and Japanese selections were available.

I gave 4 out of 5 mainly because the rooms are clean, big, the nature in fantastic in the area and the food is delicious. Yes, it is old, and yes it needs a renewal but if you stay just for a night like me and my friends, the place is perfect.

Rates are high, as in every onsen in Japan. For those in a budget I recommend to stay in Tokyo and to make a day trip to Nikko.

Room Tip: Rooms in top floors are better
  • Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Soros004b
奥日光小西ホテル, マネージャー at Okunikko Konishi Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2015

We really appreciate you liked our hotel.

As you say our hotel stands at 1500m high above sea level in the Nikko
National Park. And nature lovers go hiking, watching waterfalls,fishing
and skiing, snow-shoe trekkinig in winter around our hotel.

Okunikko is one of the most famous areas in autumnal leaves.
Especially the view of the contrast of the waterfalls of white splash and
the colorful leaves of red, yellow and green is gorgeous.

We recommend to visit some temples by car ( You can rent a car at Nikko
station) or public bus on the way up to our hotel, and then after
chekking in walking around the hotel until dinner time.

We have "Tosenkyo" meeting (Japanese traditional game) every Saturday
and many of the guest from overseas try and enjoy it.

Our hotel was build about 50 years ago and the building is a little old
but we always keep everywhere clean and make a deal of our careful
hospitality in mind.

Some foreign people feel Japanese onsen too hot.
If you feel it like that, sit in the spa only up to your waist at first
and to your breat next and all body at last.

Our sulphur spring is said to be good for backache,neuralgia,rheumatism,
diabetes,skin disease ,high blood pressure, and women's diseases, etc...

We hope we could meet you again.

Okunikko Konishi Hotel