All reviews small bag english instructions shuttle bus onsen etiquette western beds hakone yumoto station public onsen one night japanese style outdoor hot spring breakfast and dinner dishes baths
Reviewed 15 December 2016

Stayed with family of 8 recently. Excellent service from people greeting u from arrival at the shuttle bus to waving bye when leaving. However staff command of English and knowledge of surrounding areas is mediocre. Rooms were large but tatami floors slightly dirty. No provision of bottled water, but an electric kettle cum warmer was provided just not enough in dry weather. Onsen was great - clean and quiet. Food was alright

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank stoned84
Reviewed 22 July 2016

First things first, whilst this is a hotel in Hakone, it's not in the centre. It is walkable, but I'd suggest getting a taxi or shuttle from the station. At least whilst you've got your cases. It's up a gentle slope, and would take around twenty or so minutes on foot.

It is a modern hot spring type hotel, catering more for large tour groups and schools rather than something chic and exclusive. It doesn't have a "wow factor" that some other hot spring resorts have in Japan. That said, the rooms are a decent size and clean, and the staff were friendly. The layout, if staying the annex, is a little confusing - up one lift, walk over into the next building, then into another lift. But nothing that should flummox anyone.

We ate dinner as a family in one of our rooms, and it was better than I had expected. As described in my other onsen reviews, the meals are elaborate but follow a set menu. They will simply bring you course after course after course. Great if you love Japanese food or if you're adventurous/curious... a little challenging if your prefer to order exactly what you want. We enjoyed it. The seasonal food was cooked well, varied and nicely presented.

The spa facilities were good, as was the massage. If you want any form of massage or other treatments, you will need to book early with reception, as they are popular (but do stay open until late).

Breakfast was a buffet in a large canteen type room. We had to wait to get in, as it was so crowded. Not the best breakfast in the world. There should be something that you can eat, but I was surprised to see things like chicken nuggets and french fries served. Not what I'd want to eat first thing.

It's in a nice setting on the river, and there is plenty to see and do in and around Hakone. Would I stay there again? I wouldn't look to, as I'd prefer something a little more central and perhaps not as big. I also found it a little pricey for what you got. But I wouldn't actively avoid staying there - it was perfectly pleasant and did the job. I imagine non-Japanese speakers wouldn't struggle too much, too. It's fairly large, and some staff seemed to have knowledge of English.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river. I think most, if not all, do. But better than looking at a mountain slope
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Naniwa
Reviewed 5 April 2016

The service levels match those of all other places in Japan since the people are amazing all through. The food served in your room at night (as part of the traditional japanese experience)was the best meal we ate in Japan. The hotel has public baths (Onsens) for men and women as well as traditional foot reflexology and other massage services which are available till 1 am. The location is close to Hakone station (perhaps a 1000 yen taxi ride away) but an hours bus ride from lake ashi. The bus can be caught from right behind the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank neha A
Reviewed 11 December 2015

Me and my wife and in laws stayed in this hotel for a weekend getaway. Here below are my review.

Good
This is probably one of the best hot spring hotel in the Hakone area. The scene is very beautiful and the hot spring is all natural.

The hotel facilities are very new and spacious. We stayed in the best and biggest suites (Rm 101 & 102) in the hotel. Our suite (101) has a very Zen, beautiful garden and outdoor hot spring tub looking out to the mountains and forest.

The food is not bad, but I think it's not cheap either.

Bad
None of the staff speak English, which makes it difficult for foreigners to stay, especially the meal arrangement.

Ugly
In Rm 101, which we have the very nice garden, there is path and gate connect between the garden and the parking lot. The gate is NOT locked!! There was random woman trespassing to our garden and took photos of our garden in the morning. Our hot spring tub was right outside the room and is part of the garden. My wife was ready to change for the hot spring. I yelled at the woman and demanded her to leave our garden... I told the hotel staff but they didn't really do anything about it, apart from finding that woman and told her what she did was wrong... Maybe if I can at least speak Japanese, it would've been dealt with differently.

No hotel management came to me to apologize nor explain to me why someone can just simply walk straight into the private garden like that. I was very disappointed.

Anyway, it was a pleasant experience but I will try another onsen hotel next time.

Room Tip: Room 101& 102 will be the best choice for the size and view
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank eDUBShanghai
Reviewed 23 October 2015

We stayed in this hotel for one night. I think it was the costliest stay for our whole trip in Japan, even though this hotel is among the cheapest options that you can find in Hakone hot springs area. As such, don't expect views to Mount Fuji or elaborate gardens. It's more like a value-for-money option among the hotels in the area. However, we found it to be a nice introduction to Japanese onsens (=hot springs hotels) traditions.

Basically, the whole experience revolves around two things - baths and the dinner. As other reviewers pointed out, Japanese bath is something that most people from the West need some time to get used to. Still, it was fun and surprisingly relaxing.

As for the dinner, it was served in the room and it was wonderful. There were like 20 different dishes, all in tiny cups and bowls and very nicely decorated. They are bringing it in into the room in several batches and the menu is in Japanese, so we did not know when it would end!

We opted for the Japanese room, so after dinner another person came in to remove the table and unfold futons and blankets on the floor. The mattresses were relatively soft, at least by Japanese standards. They also have Western-type rooms as well.

Almost no one in the hotel speaks English, only a few people on reception. So the maids that bring in the dinners or people in the bath or in the shops would all speak Japanese to you. Somehow, it worked OK for us, but of course it's a bit of a limitation.

One final piece of advice - if you arrive early (before 3pm), then you might be better off leaving the suitcases and taking a bus or a taxi to Lake Ashi. It's about 30-40 minutes one way, but it's worth it. The view to Mount Fuji alone should justify the travel time. There is also a very nice shrine on the lake shore, a park and a few other sights. Then you can travel back to hotel, get a bath and still be done before they start to serve the dinner.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family