All reviewssmall bagenglish instructionsshuttle busonsen etiquettewestern bedshakone yumoto stationpublic onsenone nightjapanese styleoutdoor hot springbreakfast and dinnerdishesbaths
Reviewed 22 July 2016

First things first, whilst this is a hotel in Hakone, it's not in the centre. It is walkable, but I'd suggest getting a taxi or shuttle from the station. At least whilst you've got your cases. It's up a gentle slope, and would take around twenty or so minutes on foot.

It is a modern hot spring type hotel, catering more for large tour groups and schools rather than something chic and exclusive. It doesn't have a "wow factor" that some other hot spring resorts have in Japan. That said, the rooms are a decent size and clean, and the staff were friendly. The layout, if staying the annex, is a little confusing - up one lift, walk over into the next building, then into another lift. But nothing that should flummox anyone.

We ate dinner as a family in one of our rooms, and it was better than I had expected. As described in my other onsen reviews, the meals are elaborate but follow a set menu. They will simply bring you course after course after course. Great if you love Japanese food or if you're adventurous/curious... a little challenging if your prefer to order exactly what you want. We enjoyed it. The seasonal food was cooked well, varied and nicely presented.

The spa facilities were good, as was the massage. If you want any form of massage or other treatments, you will need to book early with reception, as they are popular (but do stay open until late).

Breakfast was a buffet in a large canteen type room. We had to wait to get in, as it was so crowded. Not the best breakfast in the world. There should be something that you can eat, but I was surprised to see things like chicken nuggets and french fries served. Not what I'd want to eat first thing.

It's in a nice setting on the river, and there is plenty to see and do in and around Hakone. Would I stay there again? I wouldn't look to, as I'd prefer something a little more central and perhaps not as big. I also found it a little pricey for what you got. But I wouldn't actively avoid staying there - it was perfectly pleasant and did the job. I imagine non-Japanese speakers wouldn't struggle too much, too. It's fairly large, and some staff seemed to have knowledge of English.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river. I think most, if not all, do. But better than looking at a mountain slope
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
4  Thank Naniwa
Reviewed 5 April 2016

The service levels match those of all other places in Japan since the people are amazing all through. The food served in your room at night (as part of the traditional japanese experience)was the best meal we ate in Japan. The hotel has public baths (Onsens) for men and women as well as traditional foot reflexology and other massage services which are available till 1 am. The location is close to Hakone station (perhaps a 1000 yen taxi ride away) but an hours bus ride from lake ashi. The bus can be caught from right behind the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank neha A
Reviewed 11 December 2015

Me and my wife and in laws stayed in this hotel for a weekend getaway. Here below are my review.

Good
This is probably one of the best hot spring hotel in the Hakone area. The scene is very beautiful and the hot spring is all natural.

The hotel facilities are very new and spacious. We stayed in the best and biggest suites (Rm 101 & 102) in the hotel. Our suite (101) has a very Zen, beautiful garden and outdoor hot spring tub looking out to the mountains and forest.

The food is not bad, but I think it's not cheap either.

Bad
None of the staff speak English, which makes it difficult for foreigners to stay, especially the meal arrangement.

Ugly
In Rm 101, which we have the very nice garden, there is path and gate connect between the garden and the parking lot. The gate is NOT locked!! There was random woman trespassing to our garden and took photos of our garden in the morning. Our hot spring tub was right outside the room and is part of the garden. My wife was ready to change for the hot spring. I yelled at the woman and demanded her to leave our garden... I told the hotel staff but they didn't really do anything about it, apart from finding that woman and told her what she did was wrong... Maybe if I can at least speak Japanese, it would've been dealt with differently.

No hotel management came to me to apologize nor explain to me why someone can just simply walk straight into the private garden like that. I was very disappointed.

Anyway, it was a pleasant experience but I will try another onsen hotel next time.

Room Tip: Room 101& 102 will be the best choice for the size and view
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank eDUBShanghai
Reviewed 23 October 2015

We stayed in this hotel for one night. I think it was the costliest stay for our whole trip in Japan, even though this hotel is among the cheapest options that you can find in Hakone hot springs area. As such, don't expect views to Mount Fuji or elaborate gardens. It's more like a value-for-money option among the hotels in the area. However, we found it to be a nice introduction to Japanese onsens (=hot springs hotels) traditions.

Basically, the whole experience revolves around two things - baths and the dinner. As other reviewers pointed out, Japanese bath is something that most people from the West need some time to get used to. Still, it was fun and surprisingly relaxing.

As for the dinner, it was served in the room and it was wonderful. There were like 20 different dishes, all in tiny cups and bowls and very nicely decorated. They are bringing it in into the room in several batches and the menu is in Japanese, so we did not know when it would end!

We opted for the Japanese room, so after dinner another person came in to remove the table and unfold futons and blankets on the floor. The mattresses were relatively soft, at least by Japanese standards. They also have Western-type rooms as well.

Almost no one in the hotel speaks English, only a few people on reception. So the maids that bring in the dinners or people in the bath or in the shops would all speak Japanese to you. Somehow, it worked OK for us, but of course it's a bit of a limitation.

One final piece of advice - if you arrive early (before 3pm), then you might be better off leaving the suitcases and taking a bus or a taxi to Lake Ashi. It's about 30-40 minutes one way, but it's worth it. The view to Mount Fuji alone should justify the travel time. There is also a very nice shrine on the lake shore, a park and a few other sights. Then you can travel back to hotel, get a bath and still be done before they start to serve the dinner.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrey T
Reviewed 15 October 2015

There are a lot of options in Hakone, and I was looking for an authentic Japanese hotel/onsen experience without breaking the bank. I typically stay in hostels, so for me this was a splurge (though by US standards it was still a great deal). I decided to walk to the hotel from the Hakone-Yumoto train station (although there is an easy shuttle bus (bus 'A') for 100 yen) to see more of the scenery...with my one shoulder bag it was a little bit of a trek, but scenic with water flowing and it felt great to move the legs - it took about 30-35 minutes to walk there.
When I arrived I was greeted, had a seamless check-in, and was directed to my room, which was in the annex - no big deal...you basically take an elevator from the lobby up to the 5th floor, then walk across, then an elevator down to your floor. Overall the hotel is a little dated/has old decor - not a modern place - but I didn't really mind this. What bothered me more was the indoor smoking - though this is something prevalent in all of Asia. My room didn't have a smoky smell that I noticed, which was good. The rooms are a combination Japanese/Western style, and you can request to have a Japanese-style futon bed made up for you (which I did). To be honest, I ended up sleeping in the twin bed because the futon was very thin - not as thick as one I had slept on in Tokyo.
Dinner and breakfast were included in my stay, and dinner was quite an experience! While I didn't enjoy every single dish (there were some temperature issues since a lot of items were served at once), I did appreciate the experience of an elaborate, multi-course traditional Japanese meal, and I could tell that care had been taken to craft each dish. Breakfast was a buffet with a mix of Japanese, Chinese and Western food - good selection and no complaints here. Others here have complained that the buffet ends at 9:30, which is early, but personally it didn't affect me since I was heading out shortly after.
The onsen experience was great! As a westerner this isn't something I've experienced before (the whole being naked in front of strangers thing) - but it really wasn't a big deal. Frankly, I had the spas to myself more than once, which was great. There are two different spas you can access on a given day, one indoor and one outdoor - and the outdoor ones especially were awesome. They have a spa on the first floor and a spa in the basement, and basically men have access to one in the morning and then it switches - so that way you have access to all four spas during your stay.
Worth noting is that Hakone-Yumoto has nothing going on after 5:30pm...after I checked into the hotel I decided to walk back down to the town to do a little shopping and maybe grab a drink somewhere, but no such luck - everything was closed by the time I got down there at 5:30/5:45pm. While this was a great, relaxing stop for me for one night, I wouldn't have stayed a second night if I had any interest in dining outside fo the hotel or shopping or enjoying some nightlife.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo