All reviewssmall bagenglish instructionsshuttle busonsen etiquettewestern bedshakone yumoto stationpublic onsenone nightjapanese styleoutdoor hot springbreakfast and dinnerdishesbaths
Reviewed 23 October 2015

We stayed in this hotel for one night. I think it was the costliest stay for our whole trip in Japan, even though this hotel is among the cheapest options that you can find in Hakone hot springs area. As such, don't expect views to Mount Fuji or elaborate gardens. It's more like a value-for-money option among the hotels in the area. However, we found it to be a nice introduction to Japanese onsens (=hot springs hotels) traditions.

Basically, the whole experience revolves around two things - baths and the dinner. As other reviewers pointed out, Japanese bath is something that most people from the West need some time to get used to. Still, it was fun and surprisingly relaxing.

As for the dinner, it was served in the room and it was wonderful. There were like 20 different dishes, all in tiny cups and bowls and very nicely decorated. They are bringing it in into the room in several batches and the menu is in Japanese, so we did not know when it would end!

We opted for the Japanese room, so after dinner another person came in to remove the table and unfold futons and blankets on the floor. The mattresses were relatively soft, at least by Japanese standards. They also have Western-type rooms as well.

Almost no one in the hotel speaks English, only a few people on reception. So the maids that bring in the dinners or people in the bath or in the shops would all speak Japanese to you. Somehow, it worked OK for us, but of course it's a bit of a limitation.

One final piece of advice - if you arrive early (before 3pm), then you might be better off leaving the suitcases and taking a bus or a taxi to Lake Ashi. It's about 30-40 minutes one way, but it's worth it. The view to Mount Fuji alone should justify the travel time. There is also a very nice shrine on the lake shore, a park and a few other sights. Then you can travel back to hotel, get a bath and still be done before they start to serve the dinner.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
2  Thank Andrey T
Reviewed 15 October 2015

There are a lot of options in Hakone, and I was looking for an authentic Japanese hotel/onsen experience without breaking the bank. I typically stay in hostels, so for me this was a splurge (though by US standards it was still a great deal). I decided to walk to the hotel from the Hakone-Yumoto train station (although there is an easy shuttle bus (bus 'A') for 100 yen) to see more of the scenery...with my one shoulder bag it was a little bit of a trek, but scenic with water flowing and it felt great to move the legs - it took about 30-35 minutes to walk there.
When I arrived I was greeted, had a seamless check-in, and was directed to my room, which was in the annex - no big deal...you basically take an elevator from the lobby up to the 5th floor, then walk across, then an elevator down to your floor. Overall the hotel is a little dated/has old decor - not a modern place - but I didn't really mind this. What bothered me more was the indoor smoking - though this is something prevalent in all of Asia. My room didn't have a smoky smell that I noticed, which was good. The rooms are a combination Japanese/Western style, and you can request to have a Japanese-style futon bed made up for you (which I did). To be honest, I ended up sleeping in the twin bed because the futon was very thin - not as thick as one I had slept on in Tokyo.
Dinner and breakfast were included in my stay, and dinner was quite an experience! While I didn't enjoy every single dish (there were some temperature issues since a lot of items were served at once), I did appreciate the experience of an elaborate, multi-course traditional Japanese meal, and I could tell that care had been taken to craft each dish. Breakfast was a buffet with a mix of Japanese, Chinese and Western food - good selection and no complaints here. Others here have complained that the buffet ends at 9:30, which is early, but personally it didn't affect me since I was heading out shortly after.
The onsen experience was great! As a westerner this isn't something I've experienced before (the whole being naked in front of strangers thing) - but it really wasn't a big deal. Frankly, I had the spas to myself more than once, which was great. There are two different spas you can access on a given day, one indoor and one outdoor - and the outdoor ones especially were awesome. They have a spa on the first floor and a spa in the basement, and basically men have access to one in the morning and then it switches - so that way you have access to all four spas during your stay.
Worth noting is that Hakone-Yumoto has nothing going on after 5:30pm...after I checked into the hotel I decided to walk back down to the town to do a little shopping and maybe grab a drink somewhere, but no such luck - everything was closed by the time I got down there at 5:30/5:45pm. While this was a great, relaxing stop for me for one night, I wouldn't have stayed a second night if I had any interest in dining outside fo the hotel or shopping or enjoying some nightlife.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
3  Thank savorchicago
Reviewed 27 September 2015

We had a large, charming traditional suite with a private onsen. A trip to Japan should include one of these. The hotel's staff were very helpful and friendly. However, we found the meals were very overpriced. Also, we were rushed through our expensive breakfasts, because we didn't realise that the dining room shut at 9 00 am at the weekend and 9 30 am during the week. They may find it difficult to attract western visitors, if they are so inflexible!

Room Tip: Ask for a room downstairs with a private onsen
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 September 2015

This hotel is situated in a very green environment, and the city of Hakone can be reached on foot, through the valley (not over the road the bus uses!). Bus stop is in front of the hotel, which takes you to all the sites worth visiting. The food in the hotel is really very good, and much better than expected judging from the pice. Good hotel, great food, great value for money. Staff is very helpful, however just a few staff members speak English.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2015

I went there with a group of high school students (200) and 19 other teachers. I was not expecting much, so I was blown away when I got there. It was impeccably clean. The staff was excellent and really tried their best to speak English (just like all of my students). Even with all of those students there, it did not feel crowded at all. On the contrary, I often thought "Where is everyone?". The hot springs were incredible (clean, huge and stylish). Surrounded by lush greenery, the hotel is set next to a river that you can hear anytime you open your window even a crack. I did not make it to the swimming pool, but I heard it was good, too.
My room was in the Annex and again I was not expecting much....so I was again very surprised to see such a nice room (clean, awesome view and the sound of the river). I slept on a single bed, but I think I will sleep on a futon next year (I will be back!).
As for the food, since we had such a large group and meals had to be prepared a bit ahead of time to be able to seat everyone at the same time (225 people in all), it was so so. I am sure that if a couple goes there, the food would be completely different and matching the price they paid.
The shuttle bus will get you to and from the hotel, no problem. Very, very worth a stay. By the way, I would give it 4.5 stars. Enjoy!

Room Tip: From the Annex, all rooms seem like corner rooms and you can get a view of the river.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business