All reviews hotel lobby matsumoto station shuttle alps sleeping onsen ryokan
Reviewed 31 August 2017

We stayed here for 2 nights with breakfast and dinner included. The breakfast was delicious with both western and asian options. Dinner was fixed traditional Japanese and equally divine to the eye and taste. They were able to accommodate my daughter who is gluten free and prefers vegetarian. The onsen was fantastic. Outside the Lobby is a foot bath. They provide shuttles from Matsumoto station in the afternoons and mornings. They even dropped us off at Matsumoto castle.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Sageandsydney
Reviewed 24 March 2017 via mobile

Although my senior parents loved it, I suffered. The thin Japanese-style mattress and small pillow were awful. I couldn't sleep and ended up with a stiff back and neck. Food was terrible!!! For ryokan fans it's probably an excellent hotel. Not for me...

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family
4  Thank YNMtoronto
Reviewed 20 March 2017 via mobile

We arrived to the hotel after a long drive, looking forward to have dinner at the hotel. The menu is fixed and included a wide variety of traditional food.
None of the dishes were fine, or even tasty. I prefer a more limited selection with a higher quality.
The hotel staff are kind and friendly, we spend an hour at the private outdoor onsen which was beautiful and rewarding.
The sleeping arrangement is traditional Japanese style, not really necessary...

Stayed: March 2017
1  Thank Sharon N
Reviewed 30 May 2016

This hotel is not in the center of town but there is a shuttle and its worth the time...no need to leave the hotel anyway. We were greeted by a full staff and check in was a breeze....even though little English is spoken. I think the clientele is mainly Japanese.

The room was Japanese style with mats and futons....very large by Japanese standards.

Fully stocked gift shop with anything you might need for eating or drinking as well.

We ate at the restaurant one night and the meal was good and service excellent...choice of low tables with mats or regular seating.

But the jewel was the onsen. Spacious, not crowded and with indoor and outdoor baths...I went several times during our short stay as did my son. We became onsen junkies by the time our trip was over !

Matsumoto itself is a clean, walkable town with plenty of small shops and restaurants to visit when you are arriving or departing and waiting for your train.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank greenchili21
Reviewed 1 April 2016 via mobile

It was my first time in Japan and in my grandfather's hometown and I stayed at this ryokan. I've never been in a ryokan and I've never imagined it was so fancy, wonderful, the staff was very great too (some of the understood English), there is a mini store inside the ryokan, a nice restaurant and a wonderful Japanese style breakfast. The problem some dishes weren't not translated. There was a farmer selling some fresh products the day I was there, I forgot his name, but he was very cool. I bought from him small strawberries for ¥100. I really enjoyed my stay at this place! Oh, I stayed there in April of 2015.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family