Book In Advance

from US$ 82.00
from US$ 39.00
from US$ 44.00
1,087 results
All reviews cu chi tunnels at noon long drive day trip worth the trip full day tour unique experience prayer service taking place take pictures hour drive dai ceremony tourists temple architecture vietnam
Reviewed 23 August 2017

When I joined a day-tour to the Cu Chi tunnels in Vietnam, one of the places we visited was the Province of Tay Nihn. Our guide took us to a Cao Dai Temple. I had never heard of Cao Dai religion before, but I thought it was a good experience to visit the place just to get a feel of Vietnamese spirituality.

The place is about 85 kms away from the city of Ho Chi Minh. It took us around a couple of hours to reach the temple. It was very colorful and artistically decorated both inside and outside. There was an on-going religious function when we got there, and we were clearly instructed not to be too invasive in taking pictures and roaming inside the temple.

Caodaism is a monotheistic religion founded in southern Vietnam in the late 1920s. Its adherents have their regular prayer, observe vegetarianism, believe in reincarnation and non-violence. Cao Dai Temple is the centerpiece of the so-called "Holy See compound," a vibrant center of a mixture of different religious traditions. There was a central altar inside the temple called "The Eye." The worshipers were all dressed in white. Some of them had a white band around their head.

Visiting Cao Dai Temple was a good opportunity to see one facet of Vietnamese reality. We were exposed to one of its local religions instead of simply limiting ourselves to visiting the country's usual tourist and historical spots and trying out the local cuisine. I would highly recommend a visit to Cao Dai Temple even for just a short time.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

A guided tour is a must. I suggest to read about Cao Dai and Bahaism before visiting the temple. There are a lot of details, message is strong, combination of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Budhism, Hinduism, Tao, Konfucyus, positivism concepts. Well matching to current culture of locals and heading to western civilization...

1  Thank utkan u
Reviewed 1 August 2017

You might find the similar temples every part of Vietnam or the world where Caodaism could reach to, but this temple is the original, the first of the kind where ONE religion is founded. The architecture is unique and representing very well the faith and belief of Cao Dai adherents. It has a great story behind so please be informed before saying "it's just a temple" because it's very disrespectful, to any religion, not just Caodaism. It used to be violence-free zone back in Vietnam War, protecting a lot of Cao Dai families from bombing and massacre. Located on the side of a huge forest, they still reserve and protect the trees and that's what I love.

1  Thank tonylS5791VA
Reviewed 23 July 2017

We joined one day trip to Cu Chi tunnel and this temple including in the tour. To me it is nothing special but a temple. There are a lot of similar temples in my country.

1  Thank hweeying
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

Never really heard of this interesting religion before so find this place fascinating! Its very very colourful. The ceremony itself is completely mesmerising. I think to say they are not set up for tourists is unfair. Its their religion and they are worshipping, they're not putting on a show! Loved it

1  Thank amycollins2016