“Excellent food slightly expensive”

Bamboo Buddha Bar Lounge Restaurant
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 25
Cuisines: Barbecue, French, Grill
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Durango, Colorado
“Excellent food slightly expensive”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Very friendly owner, smoked duck was awesome! Decor was beautifully done.

Visited March 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Melbourne, Australia
“Amazing food and atmosphere”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Went there for dinner with mum and dad on our last night in Hoi An as we were craving something besides cao lai and springrolls, so were tossing up between Green Mango and Buddha Lounge. We decided to go with Buddha Lounge as the menu looked less pretentious and was off the beaten track. It was a fair way from the city but definitely worth the hike up there.

Service was a bit patchy, the girls did not really know what to say or do but we could tell that they were trying quite hard. I have to admit, the place looks amazing - fantastic fitouts, very swish and spacious, perfect to hold an event! Unfortunately the place was close to empty when we went there for dinner.

Mum and I tried both the set meals, and dad had the rib eye steak. Coming from Melbourne, we are extremely critical of our food, and let me tell you - the pumpkin soup was pretty much spot on, and they gave us little parmesan cheese puffs to start of with before our mains. For our mains, I thought the pork was caramelised too, but the waiter clarified that the pork is actually marinated and grilled, and came with a caramelised sauce which was fine with us. But of course if we did not ask the question, I would have expected something totally different. Nonetheless, the pork was absolutely delicious and the slightly pickled mango went with it perfectly. As for my butter herbed chicken, skin was cooked to absolute crispyness, and chicken was so juicy! Dad's steak was also cooked spot on - medium rare as requested! Sometimes places in melbourne can't get a medium rare steak right, and we end up sending the steak back as it's overcooked.

Probably only negative was the dessert. Mum had the spiced creme bruele, and for me the chocolate fondant. The sugar coating on top was too thick and definitely too sweet, and took a lot of effort to break through to get to the custard on the bottom.

As mentioned in previous reviews, the chocolate fondant was a failed attempt and came out more like a brownie. However still delicious, and paired with vanilla bean ice-cream.

Overall, have to say the set meals are definitely value for money. If you're looking for something besides Vietnamese food, give Buddha Lounge a go!

• Visited March 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“Highs and Lows”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Lovely setting, we sat in the garden, which was lovely with a nice breeze and lots of bamboo and plants, but you could also sit upstairs. The entrees: my husband had the Goat cheese « nougat », onion preserve which was the outstanding dish of the night, I had the bruschetta with gorgonzola and cured ham, I received mini bruschetta with a tiny amount of gorgonzola (hard to taste), heaps of tomato with a twirl of cured ham, I was surprised by the appearance of the tomato at it was not mentioned on the menu -bruschetta was very predestian. For main we both ordered the caramelised pork, it was explained to us as spiced pressed pork which was then grilled, however we found it was neither caramelised or tasty, when I asked the head waiter about what part of the pork was supposed to be caramelised he said that the pineapple/ mango sauce was the caramel part, which I pointed out was very misleading and he totally understood and asked if there was anything he could do to rectify the problem – nice to offer.
For dessert we had the spice road Crème brulée, which didn’t have much spice but was a fabulous brulee with a very thick crunchy top, my husband had the chocolate mousse which he said was totally delicious. At the end of the meal they offer some digestive drinks to compensate for the poor main course, which we finished with a lovely late harvest dessert wine – very nice.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank TravellersBrisbane
Melbourne, Australia
“Great food, excellent service, nice atmosphere. Pricey but worth it.”
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Based on reading about it in TripAdvisor, we decided that we absolutely had to eat at Bamboo Buddha, and we are glad we did.

This restaurant is slightly different than the other restaurants we ate in during our stay in Hoi An. It has more of a international feel, and would be similar to some of the higher end restaurants we go to back in Melbourne.

We were greeted straight away by the serving staff, who were very friendly and helpful throughout, attentive to all our needs, without making us feel smothered by the attention.

We chose to have set menus, both myself and my wife choosing a different set, and then sharing the dishes. The food was magnificent. The pumpkin soup is a work of art, easily one of the best ive ever had. The desserts too are to die for.

While this restaurant is a little more expensive than some of the others in the area, its not expensive in general, with our meal and drinks costing under VND750,000 between 2, bearing in mind I was drinking Mojitos.

Highly recommended if you are in Hoi An

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank raphec
London, United Kingdom
“Delightful owner and manager, good food, attractive setting, deserves to succeed”
Reviewed 1 March 2012

It is slightly off the beaten track but worth the effort to find it. The service is first class, the menu is interesting (the ice-cream itself is worth going for) and the food well prepared and presented. It was relatively quiet when we were there but clearly frequented by the expat locals and has a lovely, very genuine feel to it.

• Visited February 2012