“Upgrade necessary if you're going to stay here!”

Vinh Hung Library Hotel
Ranked #53 of 162 Hotels in Hoi An
Reviewed 29 June 2012

We decided to stay in a mid-range hotel whilst in Hoi An to vary our accommodation costs throughout Vietnam. Based upon the reviews that we had seen on TripAdvisor we decided to book this hotel owing to its location and value. I can only compare the hotel based upon my stay in hotels of a similiar price bracket / rating in other cities. We went with the standard room which had no window and as a result was unbelievably claustrophobic and dark. The hotel itself was quite dark we found. The pool was a nice addition but we only used it once as the beach in Hoi An was a much more attractive option to us. The hotel is quite close to the old town which was a saving grace for us. The breakfast was average in comparison to that in other hotels of a similiar calibre elsewhere. All in all, if I were to stay here again I would absolutely book a superior room to that which we had, I'm sure if we had spent a little more money on the room it would have made a world of difference to my opinion of the hotel in general. Again, I was not expecting 5 star service given the price, I am basing my review on hindsight having completed my whole trip of Vietnam and having stayed in multiple hotels there.

Room Tip: Upgrade for a small price, it makes a big difference!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jill_Dublin_12
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 June 2012

This hotel is close to the old town and has a great value. The rooms are nice and there's an added bonus of a roof top pool. The staff was nothing but friendly and accommodating. The breakfast buffet was a nice addition to the hotel. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 June 2012 via mobile

Two couples travelling together stayed at this hotel originally booked in 4 nights but stayed 6. Staff very attentive, rooms clean and services each day. Pool water great but could benefit from some more shade and bar service.
Breakfast was very good with fresh fruit and eggs as you like them cooked.
The staff were helpful with local travel and transfers and always happy and ready for a chat.
No lift but easy steps.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I had a deluxe room at the back of the hotel. The room had a small balcony, and was quiet, spacious and clean. AC, security box, wifi, and large screen TV were in the room. Room was serviced daily. Thuy, Nhung, Nhum, and the rest of the staff were excellent. Coming and going, I was greeted with a smile and pleasant, sincere conversation. There is a small pool on the roof, which I used at the end of the day for exercise. Location is good. You can easily walk to many places, and you can rent bikes out front and pedal to the beach. It's only about a 15 minute bike ride to Anh Bang beach. Some of the rooms have a view of a brick wall. I recommend trying to get a room with a balcony, and preferably in the back of the hotel, as it those rooms are quieter.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank rucksack67
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Had scheduled an airport pickup in Danang (which the hotel said they hadn't received). Cost from Danang airport with taxi was $20. Excellent hotel location just a five minute walk from the old town, past the hundreds of dressmakers and sellers of women's clothing. Swimming pool on the roof (they call it the terrace) is great after a hot day touring. Very large breakfast buffet selection of western and Vietnamese specialities. Good size even for one of the less expensive rooms, although two large double beds were in the room; not sure if four people would have found enough space. Very friendly and personable staff, who seemed really interested in their visitors. I forgot my glasses when I left to get a tour bus; before I realized my mistake, a hotel messenger arrived at the bus station with my glasses.

Sightseeing/Attractions Tip: If you arrive in Hoi An around the full moon, be sure to go down to the river at nightfall, when the local citizens float boats with candles down the river and have a late-into-the-night civic festival, with singing, music and special street foods. (It was actually the new moon when I was there, but the festival was still being held. No one could clearly explain why to me, so maybe check the new moon as well.) Unfortunately, each of the private houses you can tour seems more interested in selling souvenirs than in showing the house, unless you happen to meet the actual owner.

Room Tip: No elevator, but the staff were very quick to come and help. I ask for a higher level room as it esc...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo