See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

Colonia is absolutely beautiful. After a few weeks travelling big cities it was so lovely to come here to a beautiful rustic seaside town. Sur hostel was great. Brilliant location, so easy to find on foot from bus or ferry port. Owners are new and a lovely family who make you feel welcome as soon as you get there and throughout your stay. Accom is basic but clean. Breakfast is basic but lovingly prepared and plentiful. Owners are planning to revamp a bit at a time so will modernise it but we very much enjoyed our stay and if we return to Colonia we'd def book there again.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AmySouster
SurHostel, Administracion at Sur Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2016

Thanks for your words.
We wait for you when you return to our city !!!
See you soon!!!

Reviewed 23 May 2016 via mobile

Long story short: don't stay here.

We were staying as a group for just a few days, and from the moment we walked in we knew this place was bad. They have drawings all over the walls and torn up furniture that looks like some college drop out's basement. No rules seemed to be enforced as other groups were allowed to yell and party in the common areas all night. The bathrooms were HORRIBLE: literally dirt all over the floor, nothing looked clean, and both mornings either the water dropped in pressure and constantly changed from hot to cold, or it didn't come out AT ALL. Both nights our room was freezing, which they said they knew about but have done nothing to fix apparently. The only good thing was location and there were no bedbugs, although we might have just been lucky.

I repeat: DON'T STAY HERE.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
SurHostel, Propietario at Sur Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2016

Thannks for your opinion.
We know, not everyone is ready for Hostel environment.
We will consider your suggestions.
Adriana

Reviewed 2 March 2016

Sur Hostel's owner, Douglas, and his staff, who are family members, are gracious hosts. A very friendly, supportive place. What a wonderful place to sit out front and watch strollers pass slowly by on a balmy evening in tranquil Colonia. Douglas is a kind and generous host. He went above and beyond to assure I received adequate medical assistance when quite sick, acted much like a family member to me. I shall never forget my time there. I heartily recommend Sur Hostel to travelers.

Room Tip: Pick a room away from the street
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
SurHostel, Administración at Sur Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2016

Hi Kevin!!!!
Thanks for yor words!!!
You are a special guest for us, we hope to see you soon.
Kindly
Por SUR
Adriana

Reviewed 29 January 2016

This hostel has a few things that many hostels do not have, which makes it stand out in my opinion

-Fans in the rooms (important!!)
-Black out shades
- Wifi that reaches the dorms.

It is a pretty threadbare hostel, but the staff are friendly and it serves its purpose.

The best part about the hostel is the people are who work there. I only really interacted with one staff member there, because my spanish is pretty bad. He, I felt, went above and beyond to make my stay good. He was always available to answer questions, and answered them thoroughly. He let me use his computer when I needed to do some things that I was unable to do on a phone, and printed some things out for me. I wanted to post flyers around the town advertising massage services, he printed them for me, and even wrote other hostels about it for me. He was great, made me feel comfortable, made me feel at home, and made me feel like I could ask him anything. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
SurHostel, Administración at Sur Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2016

Loralee:
Thank you for discharges concepts.
Just we try to give our guests a warm welcome and comfortable stay, to really feel at home away from home.
It was a pleasure to have you as our guests and are welcome every time you're in our city.
regards

Reviewed 13 November 2015 via mobile

I'm sure how to write this review because the staff here are very friendly but also made a few mistakes. We booked two beds in a mixed dorm and ended up getting separate dorms for our first night before being moved to a mixed dorm. We also paid on checking in but after we left got several emails from the owner who said he couldn't remember us paying. We assume he remembered because after a few emails we didn't hear from him again. The breakfast is very basic but nice enough and the rooms and showers are clean.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple