“Wonderful location”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amagansett
The Ocean Dunes at Amagansett
Lewes, UK
“Wonderful location”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I stayed here a few years ago in late May. We had a couple of days in New York first then took the train out to Amagansett (got the Jitney bus back). It was a wonderful place and a beautiful location. It was easy to walk up the road into Amaghansett itself to eat or have a drink, and the beach was a stones throw away. I saw muskrats and deer in the dunes and beautiful birds drinking from the natural pond beyond the swimming pool. We used this as a base for walking and to visit a friend nearby. I would love to go again. The staff (the manager esecially) were lovely.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Hoppetlewes
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
new york
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I really enjoyed my two night stay at the Ocean Dunes resort. I had a one bedroom duplex apartment that was tastefully furnished and very comfortable. It had a fully stocked kitchen, kitchen sitting area, a balcony with two lounge chairs and a table and 4 chairs, and a living room with cable television. The upstairs had a queen sized extremely comfortable bed with two skylights so there was plenty of sunshine streaming in. It was very pretty with slanted ceilings. I didn't have a view of the ocean but the view was pretty nevertheless with lots of trees and vision of sand dunes. You could walk right into town and East Hampton was about 10 minutes away by car. It is also very close to Montauk. There was a boardwalk leading to the beach which I enjoyed. There is also a built in swimming pool but since I went off-season it wasn't in operation but it was a nice size. There was maid service and they did an excellent job of keeping the room clean. I would highly recommend this place to anybody who wants to relax in the Hamptons area. I went by myself and felt very relaxed there. The room itself can fit up to 4 people as the living room coach opens up into a bed. the bed upstairs sleeps two. For one person though it was a real treat!

Room Tip: Go in the off season to get a good price. And it's also less crowded and you can find parking an...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank darnewyork
Reviewed 26 March 2012

was the perfect weekend and i love the privacy.. looking forward to go again!!

• Stayed March 2012
New York, NY
Reviewed 28 September 2011

The location of this property couldn't be better - along a lightly-traveled road, facing the ocean dunes and the beach. In terms of condition, I found our two-bedroom suite to be spotless, and the grounds and pool were all well-maintained as well. My wife and I, along with our friend, stayed here when we were in the area for a friend's wedding, in mid-September.

Despite the good condition the property is in, it has to be said that if you imagine this will be a Ritz-Carlton on the waterfront, you will be disappointed. The property is not new and is "motel-style" meaning the rooms face a central courtyard, which could be noisy when it is crowded. While it is well-maintained, the fixtures, furniture, etc. are generally not new (the ancient microwave in our room was particularly funny), although there are new, high-quality televisions with cable. Thus, the overall aesthetic is more "shabby-chic" than anything else, even if the condition of the actual room is not at all shabby.

Similarly, don't expect amenities like room service, fully functioning wi-fi (there is wi-fi, but wow it was hard for my devices to find), gyms, etc. This is not that kind of hotel. For over $600 in the offseason (mid-Sept) for a suite, you might think it ought to be. But if you visit comparable hotels in the Hamptons, I'm afraid this might be closer to the norm than you think.

I can't help but notice that the negative reviews here are all some version of people complaining about something to do with kids, family, etc. They have a no-kids policy. I'm not sure why that is confusing to people, but if you are traveling without kids (like us) you will be thrilled that they enforce it. More power to them.

Room Tip: The corner suite, ground floor, nearest the ocean, also has its own deck and outdoor furniture facin...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank jlb3
Leverett, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 September 2011

I recommend Dogsquared's review -- for a great description of the Ocean Dunes. For me, the location with its private parking out front, its heated pool and beautiful private boardwalk to the ocean beach was what made our stay so pleasant. We picnic-ed near the pool and near the small pond out back. As for the room accommodations: It seems there is a great variation in the rooms as this is motel-like property which has been condominiumized, so all units are quite different. We walked into a kitchen(well equipped)/dining/living room area; there was a king bed which was comfortable, but all in all the space was cramped and the decor left a lot to be desired. The unit had a deck packed with furniture. We could hear conversations held on nearby deck when in our room with door shut. But I loved the pool, the nearness of the village and the ocean.

Room Tip: Discuss room details with booking staff...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sharonrose98
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amagansett
9.7 km away
Baron's Cove
#1 of 5 in Sag Harbor
8.4 km away
Ocean Colony Beach and Tennis Club

Been to The Ocean Dunes at Amagansett? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK