All reviews guest house lake victoria banana pancakes these ladies the great reviews botanical gardens felt safe and welcome within walking distance room was very clean and comfortable entebbe airport place to stay great wifi four poster shopping mall welcoming staff long stay bottled water
Reviewed 19 October 2017

This cute little guest house is my home away from home when I am travelling in and out of Uganda. The staff are so lovely and very willing to help in any way they can. No matter what time my flight gets in or what time i need to be at the airport they are ready and willing to take me, and even make me breakfast.
The rooms are so comfy and very clean and there is good Wifi here too. Definitly worth a stay in my books!!

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 October 2017

When I first arrived at Entebbe Airport, African Roots driver Charles met me just outside the exit, holding up a piece of cardboard with my name on it in the middle of a sea of strangers' faces. From that moment on I felt safe and welcome. The guesthouse is realistically about 10-15 minutes from the airport which makes it convenient both arriving into and departing out of Entebbe. It's very secure, surrounded by a privacy fence and metal gate. There are several small cozy common areas, both in and outdoors, to sit and relax or chat with other guests. At breakfast served at the one family dining room table, I met an Australian couple, a professor from Italy and a sweet gal from Northern Uganda. Being a guesthouse, you show up at the table and let them know what you'd like to eat, then they cook it up in a snap, Ugandan style. We had a private bath that was clean, with warm water, although there were some drainage issues in one of the tubs in the main house. There are also shared baths. There is little furniture to speak of, mostly just bedstands and comfortable four-poster beds equipped with mosquito nets, so I lived out of my suitcase for the day which was fine since I left early the next morning anyway. In that regard it may serve better as a stopover hotel rather than a long stay. W-Fi is free but spotty throughout the house i.e. you may be fine in one end of the room and lose reception just around the corner. At night the in-room fan makes sleeping more comfortable, and in the morning a chorus of birds outside may serenade you. If you want to go into town, Ana can drive you if she's available, or she can arrange for a boda (motorbike taxi) driver to pick you up. Luggage can also be stored for a short time if desired. Just a 5-minute walk to Lake Victoria where there are several small restaurants, and a 5-minute boda ride to the Botanical Gardens. Also perfect if you just wanted to sit and read a book as it is pretty quiet. This is not a large bustling luxury hotel. It's intimate and friendly and altogether very clean and private, like your own cozy home away from home.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 October 2017

I am thankful to a friend who told me about African Roots because it didn't appear in my (otherwise excellent) Bradt guidebook. Everything was good about this gem of a guesthouse. First of all, the staff: Anna and Catherine, as well as other staff members like Joseph, were always ready to help. The room was lovely and gave me all the space and tranquillity to repack my suitcases, have a good clean-up and have a good night's sleep. The specially made meals were to my taste. Last but not least, Anna accompanying me and my heavy suitacases to the airport, managing to get me right to the door because of my age (yes!). A perfect send-off after 7 weeks of work in this magnificent country. When I come back, I hope to spend a few nights there.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 October 2017

We loved our one night stay. The room was quaint, clean and delightful. The ladies who run this guesthouse are great. The driver was waiting for us at the airport as requested. We ordered an evening meal which was personalized just for us. An early breakfast seemed to be no trouble for these ladies. This place was recommended by E-Trip Africa, our Safari Guides and I can completely understand why they suggested this. Would recommend a stay at this lovely place.

Room Tip: Owners will place you in best room for your needs.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2017

My experience with ARGH, from the first email contact to my drop-off at the airport, rates 100%. Anna and Agnes were perfect hosts. The premises are spotlessly clean and comfortable. The service and staff super-responsive and caring. The place is not fancy but absolutely functional. I had a nice large room with balcony, so ideal for work or relaxation. The Wifi is good and they also have power backup in case of an outage of the mains supply.

The guesthouse is located in a quiet residential area and is walking distance to the row of restaurants on the shores of Lake Victoria. During the week I stayed here, I came into contact with a lot of guests from all over the world and everyone, without exception, was complimentary about ARGH.

Recommended without hesitation. You'll also be supporting the endeavours of two hard-working Ugandan ladies. All the very best, Anna and Agnes!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
AFRICANROOTSGH-COM, Guest Relations Manager at African Roots Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear Hilmy,
Thank you very much for your positive review. We are greatful for having had the opportunity to host and interact with you during your stay in Entebbe.
Thanks for having chosen to stay with us we promise to keep it better.

Warm Regards