“new hotel: advantages and remarks”

Golden Rock Beach Hotel
Ranked #25 of 234 Hotels in Marmaris
Reviewed 3 October 2012

This brand new hotel opened in May ' 12 . The whole infrastructure is brand new , from top to bottom . Free internet is available in whole building .Rooms are spacious, comfortable and quiet Kitchen works well ; alas the service is left to young people , working more with enthousiasm than experience. Work to be done ! Very nice promenade ,along seaside , hotel situated halfway between Marmaris and Icmeler . Beach is well equipped and easily accessable .
principal disadvantages : no possibility ( yet ) to dine outside and lack of garden .

Room Tip: Rooms with seaview are preferable .
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank dickwynants

Reviewed 2 October 2012

I spent 10 nights at this hotel in September, first of all I want to just let you know of the type of holiday maker I am, myself and my husband are quite fortunate to travel on holiday at least 4 times a year and although I don't always write a review on trip Advisor I felt compelled to do so after my stay here, there are good and bad points about this hotel, firstly I just want to point out that I am fully aware of the star rating here in turkey and that 5 star does not mean 5 star to English standards.
On arrival at the hotel the outside looked impressive along with the foyer however staff on reception I found to be miserable apart from the gentleman named Amin who was pleasent to talk to, check in was swift and within minutes of arrival we were in our room which was sea view as paid for. The room was clean and spacious with a small double bedand single bed in the room, I found the double bed to be two small to accommodate myself and my husband due to our height, I'm 5 ft 11 and my husband 6 ft 2, the beds were also very hard which took me a few days to get used to, bathroom had a great power shower which you could adjust the settings for different types of spray however many times there were pools of water on the floor even though you had a proper shower enclosure, I didn't expect to try and mop up the water in the bathroom on my holiday.
Storage space in the room is an issue, there is one small bedside draw and a wardrobe with insufficient amount of hangers so you may wish to take a few of your own, spare pillows are kept in the wardrobe but imagine my horror when my husband opened the wardrobe when unpacking to find a pair of dirty underpants!! I also found the bedding to be a bit strange, a white flat sheet on the bottom and then a croched blanket on top, no top sheet, air conditioning works well in the room.
You are given a card each for a beach towel which can be exchanged for a towel each day once you have finished with the beach towel for the day hand your towel back in and you will be given your card back, don't take your bath towel out of your room as you will be charged if housekeeping find your towel not in your room!!
The restaurant is nicely decorated, however I feel that this is where the hotel lets it's self down, as previously stated you do have to reset your own table as it seems the tables are only set once, I found this unacceptable as you had to leave your belongings on the table when you went for your food if not and someone saw a table set you could say someone else would be sat there when you got back, i certainly don't expect to set my own table when on holiday with cutlery and glasses.
The food in the restaurant is ok with lots of choice, soups salads and fab deserts however a lot of the meat dishes seemed to be stewed and also the dishes had the wrong labels on!
The bar areas are a bit bland, there are no drinks menus so you have to ask what they stock, all the spirits are local and the hotel does not offer the option to buy premium branded drinks, this I would have like to have been an option as I only drink vodka and coke and it tasted mediocre, I would have liked a proper alcoholic drink.
Finally the pool area is ok with plenty of sun beds we never struggled to find anywhere to lay our bodies to catch a few rays always plenty of beds available and if you didn't want to stay round the pool the beach was 5 meters away so you would get a bed there.
The most annoying part about the pool was the poolside entertainment, I wanted a relaxing holiday by the pool, not to experience nightclub type dance music with silly games the music was fairly loud and annoying, I also didn't appreciate a member of the entertainment team coming and lying completely on top of me whilst lying on the sunbed, if I wanted this type of atmosphere I would have paid for a tacky 3 star hotel.
I would however recommend the spa and the hairdressers on site, I have long hair and find drying my hair abroad a pain with the heat, so on two occasions I went and had my hair blow dried and they did a good job, my husband also had his haircut and a Turkish shave, if anything I would say that the staff in the hairdressers were the most friendly staff on site and came and spoke to us each day, the Turkish bath cost £30 for facial and massage, we enjoyed this and I would recommend you have this done at the start of your holiday.
We booked a lazy day boat trip and value for money was excellent, I must admit after four days we started to eat out for our evening meals and found some great restaurants nearby and in icmeler especially no name bar which is straight opposite golden rock, 17TL for soup and any chicken dish and the staff there were fantastic and remembered us when we went back for our second visit. Would I go back to turkey..... Yes without a doubt, the Turkish people we came across outside tha hotel were fantastic and we have made some good friends, would I go back to the hotel...... No, they have a lot of work to do to compete against some of the nearby hotels in regards to standards and attitudes and I would go bed and breakfast and eat out as part of our holiday experience, I would rate this hotel as a good four star, to reach 5 star British people expect it has a very long way to go, we had a look round the ideal premium which is next door, now that has very plush furnishings and has the wow factor, from going from golden rock to next door you can see the diffence, from what I saw around the lower floors that comes close to 5 stars. If this hotel wants to improve the management need to introduce themselves to guests and ask what there experiences are and read the reviews on trip advisor and not just read the questionnaires in the room.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are a must just for the view!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank 179
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Just arrived back from The Golden Rock Beach for my husbands 50th Birthday. As you would see from any pics the hotel looks amazing from the outside and because it is brand new its very well decorated with beautiful rooms. The sunbed area was a bit too crammed for me and for the size of the hotel it could have been doing with a larger pool or maybe another pool so that people could spread out a bit i dont like the idea of being top and tailed with a stranger lol! The staff were very nice and as someone else pointed out if you are polite with people then they tend to be polite back to you and on that point being in Turkey is no different to the UK you always get people that are not so nice. Now to the restaurant as previously pointed out yes sometimes you had to set your own table but its not because the waiters were being idol they were simply busy clearing up somewhere else, if you want to be waited on hand and foot dont do buffet All Inclusive EAT OUT AT RESTAURANTS. Breakfast time was the usual all inclusive selections catering for everyone with an excellent egg station for the brits, lunch time food i felt was a bit better than evening meals but always something you can eat. The selection of drinks were the same as all the other 5* All Inclusives hotels i have stayed at in Turkey. Beach towels are provided standard with 5* accommodation, safety deposit box is extra this is just a money maker for the hotel which is not 5* standard. My husband also lost is wrist band in the sea and they wanted 50 lira for a replacement he told them to take a run and jump so got one for free. We went to the al la carte restaurant which was lovely and well worth the visit. On my husbands birthday we got a fruit box and bottle of wine delivered to our room and i paid for a birthday cake but to be honest it was not specially made it would have been one that was in the restaurant anyway (another hotel money maker) but it was worth it for a special touch for his birthday. All in all i probably would not go back to the Golden Rock again but i tend not too do this anyway, i have been to about 7 5* hotels in marmaris and they are all pretty much the same i think people expected this one to be different because it looks so special from the outside.

Room Tip: we had street view room which was ok and not as noisy as others have said so dont worry if thats wha...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lesley T
Reviewed 28 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 12 nights and after reading the reviews on here decided to upgarde to a seaview room which had a fantastic view of the pool and beach.
We could not fault the staff although they did not understand much english.
The hotel was 5 star but the food was not (more 3 star)and the staff still needed a little more training in the restaurant on how to clear and reset tables quickly as sometimes we were having to clear a table and find our own cutlery when we ate there.
They also need to give their clients the choice of been able to purchase international spirtits as your only drinks choie were their own local beers, wines and spirits.
One of the girls behind the bar did make a mean cocktail tho..
The rooms were gorgeous and cleaned and tidied everyday with new towels. I would recommend a trip to the hotels spa it ws lovely and relaxing. My husband even had a haircut in the hairdressers. Well worth the price.

All in all I would recommend this hotel as one of my top hotels that i have stayed in.

Room Tip: HIgh sea view rooms are the best, gorgeous view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pam S
Reviewed 28 September 2012

just got back from a fantastic holiday in marmaris,staying at the golden rock . have read thro the previous reviews and must say guess u cant please everyone, yes some of the negative comments are valid ....( too many stew like dishes in the resturant, suggest they do more for the brits instead of the rusians n other natioalities.. roast chicken or try n do a roast lamb or beef..stayed at the turban last yr n they did two nights where they did a roast beef night n a fish n chip night , was really appreciated ...also setting your own table etc) but really , these are very minor complaints. i think people expect too much , a turkish 5 star is equal to a 4 star most places .the hotel is nearly new , they spent a fortune on fixtures , fittings , chairs, lighting, curtains n tie backs in the public areas.. it s looks really good, very impressive. the hotel is in a great location right on the beach 10 minute walk from long beach 4 min taxi ride bac.i found the staff to be really friendly and helpful and hard working ... yes the entertainment on the night could have been better but tbh is on a par for hotels in turkey , we used to stay n have a cple of drinks watch it n then make our way down to long beach bars to end the night, malibu beach and irish bar nr the point centre our favourites .plenty of room around the pool..water slides great fun..no life guard tho so keep a eye out if takin the kids , the beach a lil bit busier . could do with bins around the pool area for genneral rubbish.rooms and bathroom are of a good size and nicely done. would deffinitely recommend payin extra for a sea view room with out a doubt !!! we did and loved wakin up pullin bac the curtains to a gawjus view of the sea and the bay .... overall a cple of minor niggles but no where is prefect and if u wanna find something to moan about u prob will..had a fantastic stay at the golden rock , would go again and would reccomend to family and friends......loved it !

Room Tip: sea view room an absolute must .. great view
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family