“Not what it used to be! If you go there for the Fish Fry - DON'T! -The place SUCKS! I feel sorry for the waitress/waiter”

Randy's Up the River
Ranked #1 of 17 Restaurants in Allegany
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 13 June 2017

Years ago this place was GREAT! This was THE PLACE to go for - to get the best FISH FRY. NOW you get a dish of grease. Seriously!!!! I used to be a short order cook years ago when I was young. I know how the deal works in the kitchen. Whoever is working in the kitchen very literally takes the fish out of the fry oil and plops it directly onto your dish. Doesn't let it drip - nothing. ALSO - the oil is not at the correct temperature - I know this because there is SO MUCH grease on the food. The oil is not hot enough.
I went three times in the last year at different times and days, just to give the place a chance. I even ordered different things. I tried chicken wings. That time the waitress was APPALLING. The level of unprofessionalizm is without words. I suppose if you are not her personal friend you should not be sitting in her section is the impression I got.
I'm out of here! Not one more penny of my money! You guys better wake up - there are SO many more in the community that are at EB's now eating what YOU used to serve. Too bad, so sad.

1  Thank Let_It_Be_HJ

Reviewed 3 June 2017

This restaurant is casual, crowded, fun, almost rowdy with a popular bar crowd. The other is Randy's Fireside on the other side (east) of Olean, NY, which is a more traditional restaurant atmosphere. Both have the pretty much the same menu. As often as I've gone here, I almost always time it to Friday for the Fish Fry. One of the best around with fries, potato and macaroni salads as sides (all of them!). Good choice of many local beers, too. If you go on Friday, go early of be ready to wait. Reservations are availble.

Reviewed 17 April 2017

It's a family restaurant and bar. The food was wonderful! I ordered a Bacon Cheeseburger and asked for the bacon to be extra crispy and it was perfect. The fries were perfect too. We didn't have to wait too long and the waitress kept on refilling the drinks almost as instantly as we finished them. Really great place.

Reviewed 17 October 2016

Most of the staff is great,,, Randy says you can not fix stupid and a few of his long time people have that afficition. Randy is extremely loyal; to his people but two Chyrstal and her mom meth are beyond help.
All the rest of the staff are the very best.

Reviewed 30 September 2016 via mobile

This is a "locals" place. Period.
I went there by myself on a business trip for dinner. It was recommended by the hotel staff.
Place is a local legend and has a historic background. Outside of that, it is akin to every other "local hangout". Nothing spectacular but again not hateful.

I ate at the old bar, along with the locals and listened to a waitress complaining that she had a "bump" on her breast. So other people working, decided to personally check it out, right at the bar.

The salad, while large was quite unappealing. It had been made or had set for quite some time before it was placed in front of me. Dark, slimy lettuce just turns me off completely.
The steak I ordered was tasty, cooked as requested and was alright. For the price, it was excellent.

I ordered a glass of wine and was quite surprised that it showed up in an individual bottle, not chilled and served with a side glass of ice. Nothing like watering down your wine.

Overall a pleasant experience, but not one I will repeat on my next monthly trip to Olean.