New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Melas Lara Hotel

Melas Lara Hotel
Ranked #6 of 244 Hotels in Antalya
Minsk, Belarus
“You can find what you want”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

My husband, my 4 year old son and I stayed end May - beginning July 2011 there. The hotel was new, clean and very friendly. The territory is small, but you can always find a spot to feel comfortable. Beach is nice and wide. My husband enjoyed beach volley. I did morning gym and sometimes boccha. Entertainment is not annoying, you can join the fun shooting, playing darts, etc. or it can be absolutely unnoticable. Good food and drinks. Very nice herbal teas. Spa does not offer a lot, but I enjoyed their very relaxing foam massage. The view from the sea restaurant is great.

Room Tip: I think all rooms are sea view there, but kind of partial sea view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Nata_Hryh
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

I am female and went on my own to the Melas, I must point out that I felt very safe at all times. I arrived early morning and was shown to my room, which was very nicely decorated with balcony and side sea views. I also had a jacuzzi bath in the room. the main restaurant the food was tasty but very repetative, the fish restaurant on the top floor is certainly a must and the beach bar served up lovely dishes the fish of the day was great. staff friendly and polite. the Melas is one of Lara Beaches smallest hotels it does have aprivate beach, beach beds are easy to get, but very difficult to get a bed around the pool. now for my gripes! As I was on my own the internet is very inportant to me as i needed it for skype to call home in the evenings.WIFI is free in the hotel lobby but if you want it anywhere else ie. in your room you willl have to pay 60 euros a week! also on arrival you are told that there is a beach towel in your room, (A very thin beach towel) if you need this replacing with a fresh one it will cost you 1 euro!!! As i had a n evening flight on my last day, I had to vacate my room at 12 noon, I was told that I could leave my luggage in a store room behind the reception desk. I was also told that I could use the wellness centre to shower in the evening, I was to take the beach towel from my room and use it for the day and use it in after my shower! after showering I found that someone had taken my clean towel and replaced it with a used towel. I ended up having to put my dress on wet! In my opinion this is not 5* treatment to have to pay for clean beach towels and wifi internet access. last year we stayed at Beleks 5* Gloria Verde and we knew we were in a five star hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mandie B
Canterbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2012

We found this a very nice hotel but wouldn't stay longer than a week. There isn't much else to do in the area and the trips the rep tried to sell us seemed over-priced. The food was extremely good and the pool area / daytime entertainment was probably the best we've had on holiday. The inside bar is OK but very sparse and the evening entertainment is good compared to other hotels but still, frankly, a waste of time! The staff were friendly and the spa / massage facility very good (the turkish bath / massage is a MUST for your first day!!). The transfer from Antalya airport is only 20/30 minutes. If you want a good value week away where you rarely go off site, eat well, sunbathe happily and do little in the evening then this is a great choice, if you want anything else then you may be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank Dave294
huddersfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

I arrived with two female friends, we'd booked a single and a double but we were offered a luxury room for three, with our own private pool, large balcony with chairs, tables and sunbeds! We were so pleased to accept. There was room for the rest of our friends and the manager kindly fetched another couple of sunbeds to use. The staff are perfect, nothing is too much trouble and one or two (the omelette chef in particular) made 'special' drinks or food for us. We tried to speak a few phrases in Turkish which amused but pleased the waiters etc. Sometimes we'd tip them but not all the time.
The hotel and lifts are spotlessly clean, those lifts are made of mirror and I can't imagine the work that goes into keeping them smear free! The carpets are shampooed, and everything is gleamingly fresh. The restaurant is also kept hygenically perfect. No food left on floors or dirty tableclothes when you sit down.
Food is lovely, something to please everybody, we booked an evening in the fish restaurant which was beautifully presented and very tasty. This was on the 12th floor and the sunset was pretty to see. The one small complaint is that dishes in the buffet restaurant are cleared away on the dot of 9.00p.m. So although the evening meal is from 7.00 to 9.00 p.m. you can't eat at 9.00 because the place has been cleared. Also the dishes which become empty from around 8.00p.m. are not always replaced, we missed out on a few things if we went into dinner at 8.30. But if you know this, you know to aim for around 8 at the latest.
Entertainment is a little amateur but done with fervour and enthusiasm. There are step classes, volleyball, darts and shooting etc. but these events are there if you with to join in but not forced upon you. We also had a turn around the crazy golf course and played skittles. The pool and slides are fun and very popular and of course well maintained. Beach bar does tasty lunches, or buffet in the main restaurant if you prefer.
We went into Antalya on the dolmus (about 35-45 minutes journey) a couple of times, which is a bit of a squeeze but not a problem. The harbour is very pretty and we did a short boat trip to a waterfall. The shopping is good for the usual fakes!
Around the Lara area there are lots of shopping malls, you have to barter for a bargain, and some fakes are better quality than others. Otherwise not a lot to do, but we went walking to admire other hotels in the area and all in all had a thoroughly good holiday.

Room Tip: can recommend room 1540
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Sue Bellwood
Yorkshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Just returned from one week at this hotel. No complaints whatsoever. The staff on reception, bar, restaurant and even the cleaners were very professional, friendly and polite. The food was excellent with a good choice although if you ate at 9pm (the latest time to eat) there wasnt much left. The fish al la carte was also very good. The beach and pool bar were great for snacks at lunchtime and cakes at 4.30 daily. We played crazy golf and skittles on the grassed area. The rooms were nice (we originally got a very small room by the lift so asked to change to one a little better - my sister had room 1540 which had a plunge pool on a large balcony!). The room had a free safe, pool towels in the wardrobe and jacuzzi bath which was wonderfully relaxing. The all inclusive included drinks in the mini bar which was replenished every day and included 2litres of bottled water. The drinks in the bars were good, especially the gin and tonic which actually tasted like it should and the whiskey was also top notch. The beer of course is efes and is fine. The weather was spot on, no rain all week. We went on the bus to Antalya a couple of times but it was nearly an hours journey on a very stuffy dolmus, quite an ordeal! We did the boat trip from Antalya marina to the waterfall (2hrs with swim stop) for 8euros. The waterfall was spectacular. We did not like the location of the hotel as Lara beach is basically just a collection of hotels on a beach which was like building sand. There are a lot of shops selling fake designer goods. All in all I wouldnt return as we like to walk and there was nowhere to walk to apart from along a busy road. If the hotel was in a different location I would return tomorrow. It would be good for children as they would enjoy the slides etc.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends