See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Completely refurbished 19 th century mansion has very nicely appointed rooms. Nice rooftop restaurant with wonderful views of the park, river, and mosque. Typical Turkish breakfast, with fresh olives, tomatoes, cucumbers, cheeses, etc. As seems to be the custom, too much to eat. Good accessibility for English speakers like us.

Room tip: We had a fairly large room with double bed and a separate small room with a couch (that I think would pull out into a bed) and a balcony looking out over the park and river. Some guests at breakfast mentioned their room was quite small, so you might inquire.
Date of stay: June 2014
Reviewed 13 April 2013

Charming boutique hotel made mostly of wood. If you are into boutique hotels I highly recommend this one. Very helpful English speaking staff (which was rare in Turkey!). I booked on the phone from the lonely planet and I read that the rooms facing the street were noisy, so upon arriving I asked for one that wasn't on the street side and they didn't have any available BUT they upgraded us to a junior suite instead which was very nice. Rooms spacious/clean/good size bathroom. You have the view of the Mosque and I liked the location. The restaurant is very good/breakfast was standard nothing special. Doesn't have a proper parking space. In total worth the price and we were really happy with the service and the hotel.

Room tip: Ask for room that is not on the street side and on the higher floors.
Date of stay: April 2013
1  Thank Moontab
Reviewed 7 January 2013

GOOD

1. A comfortable queen bed. Two sweets were placed on the bed when I arrived.

2. A refrigerator in the room (a bit hard to find in a cupboard).

NEGATIVES

1. My room is very noisy. There is a dual carriageway immediately outside the hotel. It is busy (and noisy) afternoon, evening, night time and early morning. The windows (although double glazed) are made of wood and don’t fit very well. I don’t find it relaxing listening to heavy traffic all the time that I am in the room. There is a mosque in sight of the hotel but the call to prayer at 04:30 didn’t go on for too long.

2. Breakfast the worst have had in Turkey. No choice. The waiter (who wouldn’t have been out of place in a British sit com as grumpy waiter) threw the dishes down in front of me and muttered to himself. The cay was weak. The portion (of what there was) – was small. Getting a second cup of cay was an effort. I was hungry and was reduced to eating the processed cheese portion – they are no better in Turkey than they are in the USA. I was joined in the breakfast room by a hotel employee – his first act was to put Turkish TV on – loud so that he could watch. I took my cay to my room to finish.

3. My room (described as a deluxe) has a seating area and a sleeping area. The sofa looks directly at the doors to the balcony – a good view of the dual carriageway and a prime position for road noise. You can’t watch the TV from the sofa – it is in the bedroom. No desk or work table – just a coffee table to work from.

4. Two small towels in the bathroom (hardly adequate for a shower) – but there are dressing gowns.

5. No tea or coffee making facilities in the room. When I arrived – hot and stressed – I wanted a cup of something – frustrating to have to go and search for a hot drink. No iron or ironing board.

6. Other reviews describe antiques – there are none in my room.

7. Photographs of the hotel seem show it has being in gardens that are immediately next to the river. By getting the angle right they don’t show the busy dual carriageway.

8. There is no dedicated parking and employees seemed concerned about where I had parked (on a small road behind the hotel).

CONCLUSION

The noise is the killer for me. For very little more I could have stayed in the Hilton – which is next to the river in gardens and has way much better facilities.

Room tip: Any room at the front will have a lot of noise. Rooms at the back have no view.
Date of stay: October 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2012

A lovely old mansion with spacious and comfortable rooms at moderate prices. All mod cons including tea making facilities, air con, bar fridge etc. Ours had a little annexe with another TV and chairs.
Very helpful and pleasant staff who were able to speak some English.
I noticed at times they were very busy with large groups of people arriving late at night.
It is located next to the river and ancient Roman bridge.
I would definitely recommend staying here/

Date of stay: October 2012
Reviewed 3 October 2012

POSITIVES

None

NEGATIVES

I booked through a popular website and arrived on the booked day. I was tired after a long day travelling. The clerk told me that the hotel was full and that my booking had not been received. She referred to a FAX machine and explained that it wasn’t reliable. That gave rise to thoughts about why is a prosperous hotel using a known to be unreliable FAX and why hadn’t the FAX been replaced? Interestingly, she referred to my next booking (for 12 days time) which had clearly been printed off on a laser printer. If you wanted to, you could replace a FAX machine with an email account or an electronic virtual FAX in 3 minutes (I assume that an average 14 year old could too – it does need a card which is for sale on Amazon for $12.). No FAXs ever lost. Clearly there already was a computer present.

However, if you want to overbook and have a convenient excuse; then an ageing FAX may appear a plausible reason at first.

The manner of the clerk was also interesting: she couldn’t careless and couldn’t be bothered to conceal the fact from me. I had to push her to suggest another hotel – she clearly wasn’t willing to suggest one. She reluctantly mentioned another hotel and said that she could get me the special rate of TL140 per night. I went to the hotel and their standard rate was TL100 per night. Was she including her commission or was she unsure about the other hotels rates?

Strange, isn’t it that one’s booking is only lost when the hotel is full. I have never arrived at a hotel to be told that they haven’t received my booking but they do have a room available. I wonder if that is because they have sold my booked room to someone who paid more?

CONCLUSION

I believe that this hotel cynically overbooked to increase its revenue. If you want to rely on having somewhere to stay I’d advise you to take your business elsewhere. I am only sorry that I booked two stays ahead of my first encounter with the hotel.

Date of stay: September 2012