“stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of El Mouradi Skanes

El Mouradi Skanes
Ranked #25 of 43 Hotels in Monastir
Reviewed 27 April 2012

rethink and ask for up to date photos.............
absoulute building site nothing to do and poorly advertised totally miss leading......
trust me go the houdi golf and beach club next door definatly will be good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
16  Thank Kylie T
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

"Turn back! turn back!" - is what I felt like chanting to the crowds of 'fresh blood' that arrived each day, as in prologue I sympathised with them before they even got off the coach. However I bit my tongue at that point, for who knows, maybe it was just me that was having the bad experience? As I found out in the doomed days to come, we were all in the very same sinking ship I'm afraid...

Talking of sinking ships, the moment I arrived (as a new lamb to the slaughter) a bulky tunisian guy went through his repertoire of escapades and excursions, and the 2nd thing he was recommending was going out in a pirate ship in Sousse (the local town), I'm not sure how he hoped to sell me that one (with intent to jump into the sea) when it was pouring with rain. Anyway, avoid spending that nicely earned-first-day-holiday-money straight away, listen to them by all means but do the intelligent thing and have a think about it- other people (such as your holiday rep) may well have the same deal for a better price. They wont let you go unless you are pretty rude I'm afraid, not without a signature and a deposit. Anyway, let me get to the bones of this one as easily put as I can:

Value: I paid just £309 all inclusive for this 'four' star hotel, and all the pictures looked pretty lush. So to be fed, watered, sedated and transported for 7 days didn't raise the national debt, but I did regret going per se I'm afraid. As I will explain though, this hotel would only rate as two stars in my opinion - an opinion shared with everyone I spoke to.

Problems.

Food was worse than any bad Butlins. I haven't been to Prison (yet) but I wouldn't have thought it would be much worse there either. Everything buffet style, only one restaurant, and it was clear the food was from previous days - rolls, croissants all stale and hard, meats left to swelter in tandem with the cheese, very basic, very boring, and in the end I thought I'd simply make it atkins and elect to lose some weight. For example fried eggs/omlette in the morning, meat by day (they don't do - pulp fiction- 'dirty meat' - remember, as Muslims so no sausages, bacon, pork, but sadly no burgers either. When I finally found myself back at the airport there was a stampede of burger-hungry brits, chomping at the bit to get a Royal with Cheese in the 'Burgerhouse' in the terminal. Made me think that most of my fellow travellers had also been burger-starved for their week in paradiso, too. Beef is not a dirty meat so why this couldn't be in any of the buffets must only be a cost-related thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a macky-dee's freak but you do get sick of 2 day old spag bol, pasta, and battered turkey for 7 days. I knew where this stampede was coming from. They could use at least one other restaurant. I avoided the salads due to the tap water there, they would no doubt wash it down with this which leads to gandhi's revenge syndrome. On balance though, service was generally with a smile and I didnt see any evidence of flies or other uncleanliness in that buffet room.

the locals: I'm afraid everything is just one big scam for this culture, apart from an exceptional few (the girls in the gym/wellbeing/massage downstairs, and the animation guys near the pool) everyone and I mean everyone is out for a tip no matter what. I understood that the normal wage was only about £7 a day for most menial workers, so perhaps you can understand that, but I tipped probably 200 TD (c.£100) and it didnt get me in any better position than I would have been. Everything is how can they scam us? From the porter at the airport to even the concierge cashier person - WARNING - you give him £20 and he will give you 40 TD in exchange and then time delay himself by some 10 seconds, many of us walk away at that point, thinking, hmm, 2 is 1 here so that's the deal done. In fact look at your receipt and its 48 TD to £20. Go back and he pays you the outstanding 8 TD (£4). He must have done this to me 3 times before I realised. My bad I suppose but be careful... To the jeweller in reception. Knowing how much gold is worth here now, his gold (which really does look 9 plated) seemed good, when I got a chain down from about £150 to about £70, but I got close with someone "on the inside" who kindly told me the shocking truth is the entire lot is gold PLATED. He was angry when I said this to him, demanding who had told me this (they would have been sacked had I of said). He will tell you he has 9ct, 18 and 24. all BS. its plated, he refused me an acid test. Say no more. It didnt stop there I'm afraid, who has ever been to a golf course? spoken to the pro? many of you probably. You dont expect the hard sell on a £250 round accompanied by a pro when you just fancy a fun 9 holes on your own, but he'll leave you feeling pretty ugly for not having taken him up on his deal. It goes on and on, from waiter, to the guy on the beach who asks you what his (fake) £2 coin is worth in the hope you give him 4 TD. Noone will leave you alone unless you are with one of their own. I guess this is rather like Morroco.

the drinks:

Some positive news, the Tunisians make their own wine so their house red and white (on A.I) is not just pallatable but pretty nice. The beer is good, the vodka and whisky actually taste like their duty-free counterparts and you can see brand names. They do have a 'happy hour' in which they give you things like Jim Bean, JD etc. and also some lethal cocktails. I wasn't dissappointed on the alcohol side of things. Coffee and tea available always and good stuff. They got that right. But I didnt go just to be drunk all the time, did I?

the rooms:

air con didn't work. Bed was uncomfortable, sheet may have been something that Anne Frank once sported at night, you cant call it a sheet or a duvet really, just an itchy thing. I now know where the term "blows hot and cold comes from" - it comes from El Mouradi, Skanes, it must have been coined there, somewhere in room 316 under the shower. If it wasn't it should have been. I elected to cleanse generally with the quickest few drips under that then into the pool, where one can rest assured the chloride should kill any other infestation on your skin. The TV requires payment for the remote, and all channels in foreign, my TV then broke. They did have major football on downstairs in English, a saving grace twice. The room is simply good to get your head down if you are tanked enough. Its not pleasant. It isnt quiet either if you want an early night in readiness for an excursion. Now this will sound unlucky but the only (super) cockroach I saw happened upon my hotel room. As long as a cigarette box I actually heard its scuttles. I didnt see any others which was weird, but I had to scoop it out the room onto the landing and then squish it. The one bath I had was ok but rust coloured. Towels ok but dont take them anywhere (like the pool) or you will be charged. Safe in room costs money.

the complex/pools

As entitled, the pool photo's are really not what they are in the goggles of life. Also too cold even in the blistering sun. There is a side bar that gives pizza only. Table service demands tips. The animation team outside seemed to help make some peoples holidays more fun and didnt want anything in return, well not of a currency. One of the reps seemed to have a fling with a girl of questionable age and lichtenstein descent. Perhaps that's their payload (no pun intended). Indoor pool is nice for cooling down and I do recommend the massage, skin peeling, jacuzzi, steam room and algaetherapy. I even had a cut-throat-blade shave for the first time. Watch out when you buy the package though as they will invariably do a deal. Incidentally, this should really be free for the most part (esp. the gym) but isn't - they claim they aren't related to the hotel. There are two bars. both like an airport. unfriendly and vast in nature. somewhere that is A.I should really have a selection of different bars. They have american pool and arcade machines straight out of the 80's (i.e street fighter, tekken 1, robocop, neo geo, streets of rage, gauntlet, felt like some nostalgia there). They do karaoke downstairs on a select few nights but stop at 11pm (just as one may be getting suitably warmed up for such an embarassing experience) so get in there quick if you want the time to give out autographs afterwards. Not sure about what the kids had to do, there seemed to be a clown and some games but understand I am not recommending anyone really go to this place, ever.

the beach

Disgusting. The photo's lie. I would say 12 foot of sand to the dirty part of the med. I've seen the med in all it's beauty believe me but they had a direct sewage pipe going from hotel to sea, even in what was, I guess, a pretty cold time of the year, better you than me getting in there. I did see a paraglider who seemed to be having fun, but none of the del-boy type miami jet ski's I'd hoped for - if there was one I may well have hoped that the steering was also jammed so I could get the hell out of dodgeville! There are millions of sandflies in the little sand there is, all ready to bite you, I'm told. they then urinate in the bite, I'm also told. Add to that super ants, who bite you like bees as they die immediately. I was fortunate enough not to be bitten but my firends got hit by mozzi's too - I didnt see any of those.

the people

50% german, 40% french I'd say. French is the sub-dominant language there along with Arabic. Generally a nice bunch staying there I have to say. I met some friends (I hope for life) there who really cheered up things. As I say, we were in the same sinking ship and had to laugh or we would cry. Much love to Mel and Derek.

Sousse itself:

A culture shock. You feel like you stand out and because of this you are ushered by anyone wanting a deal. Having said that I entered a nice restaurant and had a glorious fresh fish 3 course meal for about £15 with half a bottle of wine. The only con there was I chose fish of the day which was listed as 7 TD per 100g. How was I to know the fish would weigh 4 times this amount? Well presented though and anyone would do well to eat out in Sousse as opposed to this hotel. It felt quite cosmopolitan there too. Although I'd say the majority of shops all have stolen fakes in terms of the sports wear and brand names. Thats just how it is there. Didnd go to Monastir. PS: it should be no more than 6 TD to go to sousse in taxi from hotel, yet they will try 20 TD on you first. I took a quirky bus one day for just 1 TD but with an unclaimed sports holdall on the floor and a guy nervously looking to press the send button on an old Nokia 3310 I soon said "stop the bus please driver".

summary:

One thing I didnt mention is the nice couples i met out here, it really is a couples 'break-away' at best, and if you are looking to test the first holiday of your relationship, have a low budget with below minus expectations on food and hostelry, and you get a spanking good price, fill your boots. Just dont expect anything than the worst. I hadn't seen anyone visibly complain until the moment I left (you may be reading this if you know who you are!) they wanted to be relocated and were complaining about the VILE FOOD - as they put it - and the terrible rudeness of staff - I didnt receive the latter but then again I tipped well, too well I think.

NB: The excursions are, a day at the zoo (rained that day) and then a shaka-zulu experience in an african restaurant, about £35, a 2 day excursion to where star wars filmed tattoine in the sahara, sounded cool but sand is sand and 2 days is a long journey when you wanna chill. The pirate ship, about £40, where you dive out to sea and eat on the boat, and some quad biking which I heard was good. Golf club opposite seemed ok if you are going for that. Oh and I recommend a cafe called west side at Tollers (just over the road) for a mixed grill for about £7 which made eating enjoyable again whenever I went there. Other than that, you are stuck in the middle of nowhere with whoever you are with as very VERY close company - make sure you take cards or other games you can play in your boredom. I actually became a sudoku master in my time there so got something out of it. The golf is a staggering £60 for 18 holes, double it would be in the UK. NB2: the weather was a mixture of rain or blistering heat the type that just makes you red, funny kind of sun there. A bit like the shower it blows hot and scold.

Hope this covers everything.

Pat, London. UK

Stayed April 2012, travelled alone.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
13  Thank pestrick
Reviewed 15 April 2012

arrived after a 2 hour journey from Tunis, and at midnight all that was offered was a bottle of water. Reception staff were generally unhelpful unless you were young and female. Internet was patchy with no coverage for a day at a time. Food was occasionally disgusting, and mostly of poor quality, Over the weekends the place was crowded out with Arabs (refugees?) and it was impossible to get a table to eat at during breakfast or dinner as they all seemed to be in groups of 7 or 8. Rooms were clean but uncomfortable with metal furniture, so most people sat in the lounges, which were ok. The beach was dirty and my partner did no feel safe to walk there alone as she was followed at times by Arab men. The place was being refurbished while we were there, and it needed it badly. The public rooms were in good order, but the general plumbing and oufitting needed to be modernised. The place felt as though it had gone to seed and was in no way worthy of 4 stars, just about 2. . I would no go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank colin578
Reviewed 14 April 2012

ROOM
Immaculate. We had a twin with an extra child bed. TV was as reviewed previously on TripAdvisor, so we were prepared and took our own digibox and RF cable. Once the digibox was reprogrammed we got extra channels, including BFBS (British Forces from Malta) and AFN (American Forces from Sicily). This was handy if you wanted to go to your room for a snooze and watch Friends, Simpsons, Corrie and a decent film. The bathroom was clean, but the tap was a bit dodgy.

DRINKS
I'm not really a vodka drinker and I heard complaints about the taste of it, but the wine was fine - think of the wine box you get from ASDA or TESCO - that's what you get. That's what I drink at home so it was fine for me. Orange Juice was proper orange juice, and Coke and Fanta was the real thing - until the machine broke and you got Rolacola, but that was only occasionally. Beer was the same as San Miguel or Cruzcampo in Spain.

BREAKFAST
Freshly made pancakes covered in chocolate or omelettes made while you wait were the best on offer, Lots of cereals and croissants, cheese? eggs, fruit.

LUNCH/DINNER
Massive selection, try the Tunisian speciality. To be honest, it did become a bit repetitive.

POOL SNACK BAR
Pizzas. Nuff said

POOL
Fun pool on the beach side of the hotel - lovely place to plant yourself for the afternoon - but watch out for the bridge if its wet - its really slippy. Massive pool around the back - not used when we were there.

INTERNET
Internot more like. No Wifi. Two computers in reception (one of which didn't work ever and the other only worked sometimes). Here's a TOP TIP. You have to pay 8TD for 1 hour (£3.50). Use this code EIMQMA. it's the over-ride code so you don't have to pay.

AIRHOCKEY
There are two machines that will annoy you for the duration of your stay. When it is quiet, and nobody is looking, put 1TD (45p) in, take the plastic puck and fling it in the sea. That'll ensure you don't hear that annoying ping ping noise all night.

OUT AND ABOUT
the Go Karting is brilliant. About 3TD in a taxi.
Monastir is worth a visit - the Medina is where you get the bargains

FURTHER AFIELD
We hired a car and went to ENFIDHA COMMONWEALTH WAR CEMETERY, about an hour's drive, but really, really worth the visit. The least we could do - to pay our respects as we passed by.

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR TRAVELLERS
As all-inclusive guests you are allowed one evening meal in the Al-a-Carte restaurant. Book it for the Saturday evening meal. Here's why. When hotels are not at full capacity, local Tunisians are entitled to use the facilities (some deal done following the revolution). So, if the hotel is nice and quiet on a Friday, it'll be rammed on Saturday night. Time to avoid the serve-yourself restaurant.

SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENTS (If El Mouradi bosses read this)
Make the main atrium lounge a non-smoking area. Sort out Wifi.

Room Tip: Second Floor
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank DALEAFC
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Animation team- fantastic. Food- basic, cold, and the same food repeated every lunch and evening. The hotel fills with locals on a Friday until Monday and the food in the restaurant was eaten out of the serving dishes directly ( no utensils used). The staff did not know what to do. The room was clean and a very good size, however we had workmen on our balony and outside of our room from 7.45 each day until 4 pm, the main reception area/ bar iris was filled with smoke which ou smelt in your room. The pool area has up to 10 workmen painting and rendering the outside of the hotel. The beach is scruffy, filled with rubbish as the local people have no sense of responsibility for their surroundings. The indoor pool was cloudy (albeit warm) and lots of human hair floating around, and was not cleaned once during our 10 day stay. We travel all over the world and this is a poor standard hotel- it would be a 2/3 star max anywhere else. For a cheap/ basic week in the sun with low expectations and standards then this place is for you- personally I would travel elsewhere!

Room Tip: Corner rooms are huge, request one away from the Iris bar and one certainly which has had all buildi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family