“In a nutshell....Breathtaking..!!!”

Ranked #19 of 96 Hotels in Thalang District
London, United Kingdom
“In a nutshell....Breathtaking..!!!”
Reviewed 22 September 2012 via mobile

Presently staying here in the middle of a 7night stay. Have to say the resort tranquility is amazing! I came here with a view to completely de-stress from day-to-day and BTP has completely fulfilled this objective.
Staff are awesome everywhere and everyday at the resort, have not yet encountered any staff who has not stopped to say hello/swadeekap and engage in conversation if we have time. Makes my wife and I feel so welcomed and special at this resort.
I would definately tip the room cleaners, even if it's just 100 thb every couple of days. These guys must be on very low wages but the tip must go along way, and they start to recognise the utilities or services that one tends to use in the room and will replenish straight away.
room wise, we stayed in a 2bed pool villa, absolutely stunning! Plenty of space and modern, I hear they only have 20 or so of the newer ones so ask before or when u arrive if available.
Food is good, both wife and I are veggie and although there were not too many options on the standard menu, the chefs at the restaurants were more than happy to create veggie set menus during stay! The service at this resort goes a very long way.
Area of Laguna resort is fairly quiet, be prepared to travel into Phuket town/Patong beach which is prob 30mins and 500 thb each way.however this was fine with us and main priority for me was to have the tranquility banyan offered.
Spa is known as world class, but to be honest I preferred Maldives. Having said that, it is good so defo worth a visit.
Previous reviews have mentioned the resort to be old and need of rework, I think the old and classic look suits btc best. We went to visit one of the newer resorts in Laguna and although brand new, their service was no match for BTP.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sunny_UK1982
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 September 2012

The five days we stayed in Bay tree resort is amazing.Thank you for the honeymoon arragement for us,it's wonderful.There're the natural environment surround us,this fell is great.The service is warmly and kindly.We hope the next time come to Phuket and live in Banyan tree again.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with BanyanTree.com

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed 21 September 2012

We stayed here in February 2007 in a double villa with an infinty pool despite there only being 2 of us. The service and hospitality was the best we have ever had and it has still not been matched to this day. The buffet style breakfast with unlimited wine / champagne was fantastic and everything was well maintained.

I am an airline pilot and stay in many hotels around the world both for work and pleasure and I think we will be returning to this hotel early next year.

Room Tip: All rooms are really good. We bought the CD with the relaxing Banyan Tree music to remind us to rela...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank seanbr0wn
Australia
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Banyan tree staff are wonderful. Helpful, friendly and very polite. Stayed in a two bedroom pool villa. The villa is gorgeous and very spacious. We loved the pool and used it every day. The cons: small details tell you the villas need update, the lamp shades were stained, we had rain leaking in the kitchen, ants also in the kitchen, mold in the bathroom. Cobwebs in the windows outside, the king bedwas a bit saggy, the timber needs some tlc., things like these drag the place down and the longer you stay they start to become more noticeable. 5 star? I guess not. However We were happy but I can see how some of these things could bother people who are expecting real 5 star. Other things such as mosquitoes didn't bother us as much. U need bug repellant, even as we sat next to our pool we were getting harassed by them. Maybe some of the spraying needs to be done in the gardens in the villas. I got 5 bites on me. Not bad. Geckoes are everywhere, They are wildlife!! There were some mozzies in our room but I thought when people came to clean up they left the door open. Like I said. Small details. The staff are wonderful, ready to help with any request. The facilities at the beach are extremely tired and I felt sorry for the staff and people working there. They don't earn much and I feel the hotel should be doing more to look after them, particularly when they are doing an excellent job. Beau at reception, Anne at saffron, Robert the tour guide. So many others. All wonderful. Now the really bad stuff. The night prior our departure we had dinner at saffron and got severe food poisoning, including my two daughters 8 and 10. I can't recall the last time We were so sick. The staff were very apologetic and helpful, however at no point we were offered a refund for the meal. We ordered some boiled rice and other things to try get some food in, we also had to pay for that. We got offered a dr and electrolytes. But no refund. We were told that we could have gotten sick from something we may have eaten somewhere else....having eaten and drank all over the island without any problems, there is no doubt in my mind that we got sick from what we eat/drank that night. Being so very sick, I had no energy to argue. We had to catch a flight in 5 hours, not a nice prospect when you can hardly walk. I feel that if the same thing had happened here in australia we would have been given an immediate refund. In my opinion a five star resort/hotel shouldn't take the risk of speculating wether or not it was that particular meal that made you sick. If the customer believes so, then that's what it is. No refund given. If the money of the meal was going directly to the staff i wouldnt complain, but i know that somewhere some rich entrepenour is enjoying the high life while thai people work very hard for pennies. Would i go back? Yes, only because of the staff who as i said made our holiday wonderful and maybe after a renovation. Regardless of our bad luck, the hotel is absolutely beautiful and so are the staff. We hardly made it to the airport, arrived yesterday and are still sick at home. A bummer after having had such a wonderful time. My advice...don't have ice in your drinks and eat everything cooked.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank misumbini
BTGroup, General Manager at Banyan Tree Phuket, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear misumbini,

first of all, I do hope that you are starting to recover from the food poisoning you had during your vacation. I also want to thank you for wanting to return to Banyan Tree Phuket due to the quality of our hotel and its associates. All of the minor hardware issues you have mentioned in your feedback are critical and a hotel of our stature needs to pay attention to those regardless of our excellent service standards, so thank you for bringing them to our attention and, our Housekeeping and Maintenance teams are already looking into them. I also want to thank you for your understanding of the presence of mosquitoes and lizards in a location like ours; however, we have reminded our Housekeeping and maintenance teams to adhere to our standards and ensure the doors and windows are closed while they are in the villa.

As a hotelier, I was of course, disappointed that you mentioned us as being responsible for a food poisoning case. However as a parent, I can understand that it would have inconvenienced you and compromised your holiday. Please allow me to explain that I am very well aware of your case as we had done a thorough and complete investigation while you were still in house and in fact spoken and assisted you prior to your departure. Just to explain that we were not speculating whether this was due to our food or whether to refund the money but, since we are FSMS (Food Safety Management Systems) accredited, as part of such policies whenever a guest alleges any illness due to food, regardless of whether it is from our resort or not, a thorough investigation is conducted by our Hygiene Executive. If you recall, you had in fact spoken to our associates the day after you experienced the discomfort wherein, you were kind enough to give us all the details of your recent meals. As part of this you informed us that you had lunch on the same day at one of the outlets at a local Phuket mall. Although you had alluded to the fact during this interview that it could be due to this lunch, we investigated the meal you had, the number of times those same dishes were ordered by other guests, how many guests had dined with us on that evening and a check of the ingredients receiving and storage temperatures, whether any of it was raw etc. All this due diligence and information gives us confidence to refute your claims, hence our reluctance to refund the meal – not for the revenue it generates but, more to refrain from accepting liability for something we are not culpable of. Having worked as a chef in Australia for many years, I can assure you that there is a similar protocol there too. While re-looking at your meals after the Saffron dinner, I saw that you had ordered some fried rice, pasta and soup through villa dining and assumed that you were feeling better but in hindsight, we should have realized that you were just re-fueling.

Dear misumbini,
any combination of different factors can cause food related ailments during holidays. As you have mentioned yourself, ice in drinks could be a factor, not hydrating oneself could be another. I can assure you that we have very stringent health and hygiene policies in place and a dedicated person to ensure their strict implementation.

I sincerely hope that you and the kids are feeling better; I believe that my Front Office Manager had indeed offered a hot broth or something light prior to your departure but, you did not feel like it.

Since we have your contact details on record, we shall be in touch again shortly, and in the meantime my associates and I look forward to having you back again, and wish you well in your recovery.

Warm regards,

Sriram Kailasam
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 19 September 2012

From the moment you arrive to the moment you leave, everybody has a smile on their face. Such a relaxing resort.
The atmosphere created is simply wonderful. The villas are great & my family totally enjoyed the pool. We had a chef come and set up a BBQ for us one evening in our villa which was superb!
The staff were amazing, they knew everyone by name & made sure the children were well looked after as well.
Rather than catching buggies we decided to bike it around the resort which was a lot of fun.
The food was great & plenty of variety.
Great experience all round. Definitely worth the visit.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3.4 km away
Trisara
Trisara
#2 of 96 in Thalang District

Been to Banyan Tree Phuket? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK