“Not too bad overall” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #38 of 319 Hotels in Patong
Cairns, Australia
“Not too bad overall”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

I have just returned from a week long stay at Graceland, mixed feelings about this place. We had 2 rooms on the ground floor on the outside of the hotel. The traffic noise at night was rediculous. The beds were exactly as described in alot of the other reviews, bloody hard, did manage to get mattress overlays put on the beds which did help a little. Graceland realy need to wake up and fix the mattress problem. I found the staff to be generaly friendly overall. The cooking class at the resort was realy well done and we did enjoy it very much. On the second day at the resort I did become quite sick, I'm not going to point the finger at the resort but that was the only place we ate at that day... If you need a chemist while you are there, walk out the little gate at the front of the hotel, up the road about 20m is an english speaking pharmacist that realy helped me when i was crook. A bit about Phuket itself, if you want a relaxing easy going holiday where nobody hassles you, stay away from Phuket. You will be attaked by all and sundry from the time you walk out the front gate to the time you walk back in. Taxi, massage, suit, you name it and they wont leave you alone. Watch out for the scammers on the mopeds, they will get you within 5 minutes of leaving the hotel, they will ride up and ask if you speak english (generaly these people are from an english background) they will then launch into a sales pitch for time share. I just said "yes I do speak english and I'm not interested", say it with a smile and they generaly leave you alone. I will go back to Phuket but will not stay at Graceland again, it's not a bad hotel but when you look around Phuket you can do alot better. Enjoy your holiday.

Room Tip: Good luck with this, they all have a down side.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (701)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2012

We stayed in a Deluxe pool view room in April 2012.

The good - Great location, just 10 minutes walk from the main area of Patong. Close enough to walk but far enough to be away from the craziness. Directly opposite the beach. Three great pools. Brand new Sunset wing looks great. Breakfast was ok. Restaurants were decent.

The bad - Hotel staff are a bit hit and miss with the level of English spoken. We were initially put in a ground floor room overlooking the back of the pool bar. However, we asked to switch and they moved us to a much nicer room on the second floor. Wifi is paid and is a bit sketchy.

One more tip, if you book under a myTime provider (Flight Centre, Escape Travel etc) be sure to ask for the included room upgrade when checking in. We forgot about it and then they couldn't upgrade us after the fact.

Overall, we loved our stay at Phuket Graceland and would definitely recommend it!

Room Tip: Definitely try get a room on a higher floor. Ask to be moved, the staff were very helpful for us. N...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Zorfling
Saugatuck, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2012

The good - 10 minute walk to the main drag, across the street from the beach, delicious breakfast.

The bad - I travelled here with two friends and none of us would ever stay here again. Upon check in we were given a room on the ground floor overlooking the pool. The sliding glass doors didn't lock so anyone could easily have come into the room. When I complained about this, reception told me that none of the sliders lock (what?!). The room had a huge moisture problem - every surface was covered with condensation and the smell of mould nearly knocked you off your feet. There were also lots of insects as I killed a spider and 2 mosquitos within five minutes. I, having the big mouth in the group, marched to reception and asked to be moved to a non-mouldy room with locking doors. They gave me a key to go look at another room. This one also overlooked the pool but was on the second floor. The mould situation was even worse in this room as there was black mould growing up the walls! It was also dirty - stray hairs, hand prints on the walls, dead mosquitos smashed on the wall, etc. At this point there was no nice left in me and I was very angry with reception. I'm not proud of all of my behaviour, but it did get us upgraded to a mini suite. This room did not have a mould issue and was on the 3rd floor overlooking the lawn and pool. Fine, room good enough.

The beds in this place are horrid! Because we were in a mini suite, we had two queen beds and a couch. Let me tell you, the three of us fought over that couch! It is impossible to sleep on the beds with another person as every time they breathe, the whole bed moves. Not to mention you could feel every spring.

The hotel policy on towels is ridiculous. There was one man and two girls with very long hair in our room and the hotel insisted that we only got one towel each. I tried to order more multiple times, but they always said we could only have 1 per person. I resorted to helping myself to the stash in the housekeeping cupboard during the few hours it was unlocked.

My friend specifically picked this hotel because it had a swim up bar. Unfortunately the seats were so old and worn, you were lucky if you didn't get cut on them. Plus the bar staff didn't know even enough English to explain the drinks in basic terms.

I asked to borrow a converter one night and the hotel insisted on a deposit of 200baht stating that everyone steals the converters. When I checked out and tried to return the converter and get my 200baht back, reception said they had no record of me borrowing a converter and refused to give the money in exchange for the converter. Obviously the converter came home with me.

The gym was tiny and hot, but got the job done. The breakfast building was under construction so during breakfast we would have to listen to drills, jackhammers, and pounding. However, the breakfast buffet offered a nice selection and the crepes were delicious.

I cannot see any good reason to stay at this place. If you are looking to party the whole time, stay closer to the main bar scene and pay less for something that is good enough to sleep and shower. If you're looking for a romantic getaway, stay the heck out of Patong! If you're looking for a family holiday, stay the heck out of Patong (shame on you if you expose your children to that)! If you're looking for a holiday filled with sunshine and relaxing, pay a bit more and stay at a top notch resort.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank greenbeanjean26
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2012

Our family recently stayed here for 8 nights with a group of 60 to celebrate a friend’s birthday. Our room was exactly what we requested. We received a drink on arrival and the resort put on free drinks and finger food the first night we arrived. Service was fantastic; staff couldn't do enough for you. The buffet breakfast was awesome. They cater for all tastes and there is no excuse to leave hungry! The location was good - slightly away from the all the hustle and bustle of Bangla Road, but still within walking distance to all the shops and markets. There are restaurants and bars all near the resort but the resort has two restaurants of its own which were nice, particularly if you didn't want to venture to far. Both pools were clean and big enough to cater for all their guests. The pool on the second floor has amazing views of the resort gardens and the beach and is much quieter as kids seem to prefer the bottom pool. Oh I nearly forgot the beach is right across the road if you want to get some sand between your toes! My only negative and it’s only a very small one is that the resort is starting to show signs of age - hopefully with the new section being built as we speak that the existing resort will get a makeover in the next 1-2 years. Overall would recommend!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank heych
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2012

I stayed here with my partner in December, 2011 and loved every moment! We stayed in a Superior Room and could not fault it, being very modern and clean. The staff were incredibly friendly and always willing to help. We would certainly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Superior Room in the Garden Wing. No noise but average view. You don't really want to have your...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple