All reviewsbike weekthai hotelnight marketthai foodwesternersriver
Reviewed 16 December 2016 via mobile

As a person living in Thailand with own car I love this hotel. But for backpackers it's not convenient for ferry, train, bus or night market. This is provincial hotel. Not catering to international tourists. Anyone living long time in Thailand will appreciate what this hotel offers: good restaurant, excellent breakfast, large swimming pool, comfortable rooms, great cafe in lobby.

Stayed: December 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 December 2016

The Wang Thai hotel overlooks the river. It is a very "Thai Hotel." We love the real Thai food from an extensive menu. This hotel is ideal as a stop over en route to Koh Samui and SouthernThailand and the wonderfull National parks within driving distance. We recommend the mid range rooms or a suite. On our recent visit we stayed a week, our room was very clean, quiet,and comfortable. It is not a luxury hotel, but has a small gym and a good pool,. For us ,it is good value , with real Thai food, and a real Thai feeling . A double room with Thai breakfast costs around £25 .

Room Tip: Rooms away from the lift shaft.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 October 2016

Wang tai is a very old hotel since Surat thani has few hotel to choose from.
They renovated room to meet a normal 3 star bed room but rest room got only 2 star.
The good part is buffet breakfast. There are many type of food including local dish.
Don't miss to try Patongko (油條) which freshly made everyday by hotel staff.

Room Tip: Higher Floor has a better view of Tapee River
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 August 2016

It’s my first time in Surat Thani, and I stayed 2 nights in this 3-star hotel.

Location: My Thai colleague chose this 3-star hotel because it’s only 25 km from Surat Thani Airport and hence took us not more than 40 minutes (depending on traffic conditions) to reach it. It is located very close to a river. There are plenty of free parking lots for the guests.

Hotel Staff: The lady receptionist spoke some English. The service of the staff at the hotel restaurant was good.

Hotel Room: While I opened the hotel door using the traditional key (not keyless), my colleague couldn’t do so with his key.
The good pars about the room is that it is huge and spacious, and that I had a good night’s sleep. However, the room is dated and has only basic amenities – a queen size bed, 2 bedside tables, 2 chairs, a coffee table, a TV console, a dressing table, a mirror, a mini-fridge and wardrobe cupboard. I opened the wardrobe cupboard and found only 3 hangers, a middle ‘rail’ compartment and a pair of slippers. However, the furniture is mostly white, hence it gives the impression that it is bright and clean, and indeed the room is clean. Interestingly, the wall above the bed is painted green. There are no safe, no ironing board, and no iron. The bathroom is also basic, with sliding door segregated bathing area. The view from the room window overlooks into the swimming pool, the other wing of the hotel and Surat Thani in the background.

I wish the hotel management can improve the wi-fi connectivity in the room. The connection was really slow and after 5 minutes into my teleconferencing, the signal suddenly disappeared! When I voiced the problem to the receptionist, she told me that the lobby area is the best area for wi-fi connectivity. Indeed, the connection is slightly faster but it meant that I have to do my work in a non-privacy environment.

Hotel restaurant: I ate at the restaurant during breakfast and dinner. I had to present breakfast vouchers for the buffet breakfast that was available between 6am to 10am. While breakfast items are few, the same cannot be said for the dinner menu. There are many Surat Thani local dishes plus other Thai dishes that you could choose from.

Overall, I really hope the hotel management could do some renovations to ‘modernise’ the entire hotel. Other than that, I find Wang Tai Hotel to be acceptable as I reminded myself that this is not Bangkok. Given a chance on my next visit, I would probably want to stay in another hotel.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2016

An average hotel with friendly service. But it is quite a old hotel. The interior room, lighting, bathroom etc. need maintenance and the central switching of the room lighting was not working in my room.

Stayed: August 2016