See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 February 2015 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed 2 nights here, average hotel, customer service leaves a lot to be desired. But the room was clean, nice view of the river and temple opposite hotel, not very close to anything only shops and a market other wise you need to hire a moped to get anywhere attraction wise. Wouldn't recommend the area tbh, we've visited nicer places and surat thani is more of a pass through area.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had a great stay here. This is not a luxury hotel, and the price reflects that. We paid less than $40 for two twin rooms and free breakfast for five (2 adults, three kids). I felt we got much more than our money's worth. The air conditioner was too cold for me, though the kids were in haven so wouldn't let me turn it down. The view of the town was great. Good hot shower. Someone else's hair in the sink, but reasonably clean. Free drinking water.

I read that the staff speak little English. That was not our experience. The girl on the front desk spoke very good English and was kind enough to write the name of the night market (FANTASTIC! You must go) to give to the taxi driver, and the name of the hotel on the back for our return trip, as this town is the 'real' Thailand and many people don't speak English. Breakfast is adequate.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kelliephillipps
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Stayed one night between a flight from Bangkok and a boat to Koh Phangan. It is one of the funniest hotels I've ever seen. First, that's the LOCAL hotel, oriented at Thai thourists first. Thus, the staff does not speak English. They can not answer any questions about the boat, taxi etc. All the equipment in the bathroom is also for a local person (i.e. someone not taller than 170 cm). Rooms, corridor, elevator - everything is old and worn out. Downstairs there's a restaurant (also for local) with low prices, good food and a very funny singers. So if you have one night, want to save money and feel yourself in a 1980s asian movie, try Grand Thara.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sanchez73
Reviewed 5 March 2013

The hotel itself is nice enough for £10 a night you can expect a very dated lift, dated rooms probably from the 1970s ~ but the mattresses were comfy enough & the air con worked well. The shower worked perfectly enough for £10 a night & the room had a working fridge & a TV, with free WI-FI in the lobby. As I say perfectly pleasant enough to use as a stop over for the night or two whilst on route to the islands.

Going back to stop overs, the only thing to note about this hotel is the sheer number of red light massage shops in the area, combined with the hookers who blatently strut through the lobby & 30 minutes leave again. The clientele are mostly Thai or Japanese young males, with only a handful of genuine Thai couples seen here. Having stayed here with my boyfriend it was a shock to say the least when a young Japanese male knocked on my door & asked to be let in to my/our room. Thankfully my partner was with me at the time but it would have been quite intinidating had he nipped to the shop!

It's certainly a colourful hotel & not for the faint hearted!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Sophie D
Reviewed 17 November 2012 via mobile

I needed a single overnight stop before my flight to kl, this plaxe was perfectly located and was as expected so cant really complain. Reception service was poor, hitel seen better days but room and breakfast was fine. All in all ik but dont go expecting luxury!

• Stayed: November 2012