“Rather disappointed ”
Review of Coconut Sambol

Coconut Sambol
Ranked #7 of 168 Restaurants in Galle
Price range: US$ 1 - US$ 3
Description: Authuntic treditional Sri lankan curry's and Drink's freshly home made.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

After all the good reviews i somehow expected more. I am traveling a lot and always try to only eat local food. So I saw that this place is on the top spots and went there. It is as described they offer 4 dishes and rice and Sambal Oleg. The banana curry that had been highly recommended was good and tasty but very heavy. The second one was a Dhal that tasted Smokey - i am not into smoked stuff so did not fully like it. The third was a chicken curry - all bones and stuff in - you must rather like that and the forth was something like a dry fruit mango Curry - the fruit inside with the core so not able to eat almost broke a tooth. I can be picky with meat but for a reason and besides that I try and eat almost everything. I think you can get better curry (not all you can eat but for 850) in Galle. The staff was extremely nice I have to say. It was impossible hot in there - so I finished two portions of banana curry and left not full satisfied for what I expected.

1  Thank Katharina P

Reviewed 6 April 2018

It was a buffet style food and they had rice and five curries to offer. I got here at odd time (around 4 in afternoon) and nobody other guests were there (thought couple of people came while i was eating). The staff was kind enough to prepare fresh food for me and refill pots with hot food. I enjoyed my food. The four curries are vegi and one is chicken curry. Coming from Pakistan, curries in SL are very similar to what we eat. Having said that, i really enjoyed the eggplant banana curry and one curry with mango and dry fruit. All other curries were fantastic as well but these two were different from regular Pakistani food. The owner was a Muslim and ensured me that chicken was also halal. One of few places in Galle Fort that serves Halal food.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

How do I put this in words?! So simple, yet so delicious.

Coconut sambal, banana and eggplant curry, mango chutney, Dahl and many more, all homemade in clay pots. The most delicious passionfruit drink. An absolute experience for about $9 AUD and you’re welcome to refill your plate.

The boys are so friendly and accommodating for foreign travelers.

An absolute must for anyone traveling to Galle- we have been craving it ever since!!

Thanks boys !!!

1  Thank sampya
Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

Very tasty curries in this charming little place. The food is presented buffet style and it’s self service. For more on the food, see photos.

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

Highly recommended for lunch or dinner. Tiny place who recently opened and serves delicious curries.