“Overall average stay”
Review of Sun Beach Hotel

Sun Beach Hotel
Ranked #61 of 94 Hotels in Seogwipo
Reviewed 12 December 2011

The hotel is large for jeju. The location is good, its by the water and there are food stores and restaurants nearby. He rooms are small and old looking but the beds are very clean. There's wifi in the lobby but not upstairs. If u wan luxery it doesnt have it but its clean(ish) and comfortable. The downside is that there's only one outlet in the room. And brinf your own slippers.....

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Wilhelmina Y
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 1 November 2011

Avoid this hotel!!!

This was my first trip in Jeju-do. i stayed in the Sun Beach Hotel for 4 nights. The hotel was really old with tired looking, all the furnitures in the room were very old. The room was dusty! The drawers were broken. The wardrobe doors couldn't close. The bathroom door was too big for its frame, the bathroom door couldn't close! The size of bath towel was smaller than a normal hand towel. All the towels, bedsheets, pillows look so old and dirty. Also, the room was very hot at night, the air-con couldn't turn on. I called the reception to turn on the air-con, he said ok, but there was no air-con for the whole night. Then i opened the window, it was very noisy on the street. People sat between two hotel buildings and spoke out loudly. i couldn't sleep all night.

Then i asked the reception to turn on the air-con in the next morning, but they didn't understand English, just said "NO ENGLISH!" And asked me to wait 2 hours for the manager because he was the only person who can speak English in the hotel. But the manage didn't solve my problem, just said the air-con was controlled by computer. He couldn't do anything with it because over 80% Korean prefer heating rather than air-con in winter. IT WAS JUST 20C. how could he said "IT"S WINTER!" I can say over 80% who stayed in the hotel were not Korean. The manager was very rude with a blank face. I asked for recommendation for dinner from the guy at the reception. He just said "turn right" without any details. Also, the breakfast was terrible, so i had breakfast outside the hotel for 3 days.

Please stay away from this hotel!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
6  Thank dudedlo
Reviewed 11 June 2011

Our stay at Sun Beach Hotel was such a joke in every aspect that it could've been story on a comedy like Saturday Night Live. It had a good location for the waterfalls and was easy to reach by the airport limo bus. The staff with their limited English tried to be helpful for directions on how to get to places. But we couldn't get anyone to mop up the totally wet bathroom floor. Then we found out the bathroom door was too big for its frame, so it wouldn't close! Finally they gave us another room with the barking dogs outside, but that was more tolerable than the other situation. Although I didn't feel safe plugging my curling iron in the bathroom's dirty black outlet.

We decided to eat at the hotel's "restaurant". My friend ordered a bulgogi pizza and I ordered fried chicken. My friend was getting a bit frustrated with the lady because he kept telling her he wants coke and she kept asking, "coffee?" and that went back and forth for awhile. "Coffee?" "No, coke!" "Coffee?" "NO COKE!" ..... Then we waited for a long time and we were wondering why it's taking so long. My friend said, "This place is such a dump, I wouldn't be surprised if they called in an order outside for our food." Finally the waitress brings over his pizza in a pizza box! My friend said, "See! They ordered the pizza from somewhere else because it came in a pizza delivery box!" She brings him coffee, too. Where's the coke? In the meantime, I still didn't get my fried chicken. How can chicken take longer than pizza?! I go back there to see if she didn't get the order or she's still cooking it. I see she's eating her lunch back there! She points to the stove with the pots and says my chicken is coming. But it didn't look like anything was cooking in the kitchen. I go back to our table anyway. Around 10 minutes later, we see this lady walking in the restaurant with a plastic bag. Yeap, that was my chicken being delivered from another place! Then the waitress brings my box of fried chicken on a baking sheet. What's up with that? That wasn't going to make it look like she cooked it herself. On top of that, there was my friend's coke with my chicken!

An another funny thing about this hotel are the towels. Holding a dish towel size hand towel, I asked my friend, "Is this our bath towel?!" And yes, it was! My friend said earlier he had to go outside the bathroom to get his clothes and the drapes were drawn open. The "bath" towel was too small to wrap around his waist, so he had to hold the towel as to carefully not expose the front side!

Room Tip: Don't stay at a 2 star hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Lynne000
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Stayed at this hotel with during our trip to Jeju Island. The entire trip was quite pleasant except for this hotel.

We booked this hotel from a hotel booking site. I think the picture in the booking site was taken years back.

The moment we arrive at the hotel lobby, we were welcomed by a very tired looking lobby. During checkin process, the staff was alright but there was a manager (older chap) which is rude in my opinion. When I requested back my copy of hotel confirmation slip, the declined and when I suggested that he make a copy me, he obliged unwillingly (without any hint of smile on the face all these while).

Later during the day, I asked for some directions from the guy at the checkin counter. The young guy was trying his best to help me with his limited english and map drawings while a huge group of school children walked past to another building (I presumed to checkin). Then manager (the earlier old chap) came out and speak to the young guy with a sour face. From the body language and gestures, I suspect the manager is scolding the young guy that he is not attending to the group of new checkin and still talking to me. From what it looks like, the young guy insist with the old chap that he will help me first before attending to the big group. To save the young guy from more trouble, I told him that it is alright and tried to study my map again. Still finding difficulties with map, I approached the counter to ask for more directions. This time, the old chap is manning the counter and just pointed me to one direction without any details. All these while, there isn't a smile on his face and his body language tells me that he couldn't be bother about me.

The rooms was very old and everything looks worn out and dusty. The bathroom is barely alright and no amenities apart from a small bar of soap and a few small towels.

This hotel might have seen better years and I suspect that 8-10 years ago, it used to be very good. But too bad, the year is 2011 and the hotel desperately needs a new face and management.

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank KWong_11
Reviewed 16 May 2011

I recently stayed at the Sun Beach Hotel with my fiance in May during the long weekend. I read reviews about the hotel ahead of time so I didn't expect much except a great location.

To start off on a positive note, the hotel is in an excellent location and that would be the only thing ever to bring me back (if all other hotels in the area were sold out). It is a 10 minute walk to the local bus terminal. About a 10 minute walk to Cheonjiyeon and Jeonbang waterfalls. The limo bus 600 stop is basically in front of the hotel. Next hotel over you can catch the bus so a minute walk.

But, the hotel is in horrible, horrible condition. I am unsure what previous guests have done in the rooms and why staff haven't cleaned it up properly. The bathroom was dingy and I felt like I was going to fall through the bath tub. The furniture was broken and very old looking with pieces missing or shattered off.

What bothered me the most was the fan above our bed. It was caked with dust and probably mold too. We didn't want to even turn the fan on at all. It was absolutely gross.I have stayed at cheap motels before and never have I experienced a room like that. Also the bed sheets were clean but stained.

The motel and the rooms are in bad condition and it's unfortunate because the motel is in a beautiful location. Hopefully in the future they can spruce the place up to more decent and acceptable standards.

Oh, and the doors.... well didn't lock properly really. You had to force it shut and then had a chain lock and a bolt. Didn't always feel the safest. Not sure why the doors are in such horrible condition too.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher grade room..
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple