“Bad basic service and rooms”
Review of Sun Beach Hotel

Sun Beach Hotel
Ranked #63 of 94 Hotels in Seogwipo
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Stayed at this hotel with during our trip to Jeju Island. The entire trip was quite pleasant except for this hotel.

We booked this hotel from a hotel booking site. I think the picture in the booking site was taken years back.

The moment we arrive at the hotel lobby, we were welcomed by a very tired looking lobby. During checkin process, the staff was alright but there was a manager (older chap) which is rude in my opinion. When I requested back my copy of hotel confirmation slip, the declined and when I suggested that he make a copy me, he obliged unwillingly (without any hint of smile on the face all these while).

Later during the day, I asked for some directions from the guy at the checkin counter. The young guy was trying his best to help me with his limited english and map drawings while a huge group of school children walked past to another building (I presumed to checkin). Then manager (the earlier old chap) came out and speak to the young guy with a sour face. From the body language and gestures, I suspect the manager is scolding the young guy that he is not attending to the group of new checkin and still talking to me. From what it looks like, the young guy insist with the old chap that he will help me first before attending to the big group. To save the young guy from more trouble, I told him that it is alright and tried to study my map again. Still finding difficulties with map, I approached the counter to ask for more directions. This time, the old chap is manning the counter and just pointed me to one direction without any details. All these while, there isn't a smile on his face and his body language tells me that he couldn't be bother about me.

The rooms was very old and everything looks worn out and dusty. The bathroom is barely alright and no amenities apart from a small bar of soap and a few small towels.

This hotel might have seen better years and I suspect that 8-10 years ago, it used to be very good. But too bad, the year is 2011 and the hotel desperately needs a new face and management.

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank KWong_11

Reviewed 16 May 2011

I recently stayed at the Sun Beach Hotel with my fiance in May during the long weekend. I read reviews about the hotel ahead of time so I didn't expect much except a great location.

To start off on a positive note, the hotel is in an excellent location and that would be the only thing ever to bring me back (if all other hotels in the area were sold out). It is a 10 minute walk to the local bus terminal. About a 10 minute walk to Cheonjiyeon and Jeonbang waterfalls. The limo bus 600 stop is basically in front of the hotel. Next hotel over you can catch the bus so a minute walk.

But, the hotel is in horrible, horrible condition. I am unsure what previous guests have done in the rooms and why staff haven't cleaned it up properly. The bathroom was dingy and I felt like I was going to fall through the bath tub. The furniture was broken and very old looking with pieces missing or shattered off.

What bothered me the most was the fan above our bed. It was caked with dust and probably mold too. We didn't want to even turn the fan on at all. It was absolutely gross.I have stayed at cheap motels before and never have I experienced a room like that. Also the bed sheets were clean but stained.

The motel and the rooms are in bad condition and it's unfortunate because the motel is in a beautiful location. Hopefully in the future they can spruce the place up to more decent and acceptable standards.

Oh, and the doors.... well didn't lock properly really. You had to force it shut and then had a chain lock and a bolt. Didn't always feel the safest. Not sure why the doors are in such horrible condition too.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher grade room..
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 May 2011

The hotel is on a cliff above Cheonjiyeon Falls but you cant see it for all the trees. If you go down the harbour below the tourist info office is there and the falls. There is also a footbridge to take you to a large rock island. If you follow the road south from the hotel it will curve and lead you to Jeongbang Falls about 15 mins away next to a Chinese Exhibition Hall.

The airport limousine stops outside the hotel. About a 10 min walk is the local bus station from where you can get to all parts of jeju island.

Best sea view is 6th floor room 22 or any of the 20s, but there is often mist over the harbour so you might not always have the view. If you book on agoda they dont send your special requests so email the hotel again and ask for a seaview.

I stayed here for two nites and would recommend and stay again. As far as the negative comments go, if they leave your door open when they clean you have to realize koreans are very honest and it wouldnt occur to them to go in someones room and take stuff.

Also the guy at the front desk didnt speak much english but the manager Mr Im Dae-Soon was always around and spoke good english. Its not as dated and worn out as people are making it out to be. You'll get three english movie channels but no CNN. Free internet in the lobby but the browsers were set to asian options

I really enjoyed my stay and its a good base to explore seogwipo, jungmun, and the southern coast. I might suggest renting a car next time instead of local buses

Room Tip: after booking email the hotel and ask for seaview
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 October 2010

Located opposite the aiport limosuine bus stop with a pleasant view over the harbour below. Make sure you ask for a seaview and on the top floor with bay windows. Try to negociate the price. Rooms and fittings are in desperate need of decent repairs and updating. Water fountain only available on ground floor. Resturant only open in very restricted hours.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 March 2010

The only reason I picked this hotel was location. It has a superb location - the airport limousine bus stops right in front of it. It's a 10 minute walk from the Jeongbang waterfall and a few other touristy areas. And it was cheap. I've stayed in cheap, dingy hotels before, but I've never regretted it as much as in this case.

The hotel seems to have been built for the 2002 World Cup event and then subsequently is living off its location. It's very run down, there was dirt everywhere. The receptionists didn't even seem to be interested in our existence. Often, the hotel will host tour groups staying overnight (like school trips, etc) - in our case, there was a tour group staying for 2 nights; their leader was given a microphone to make announcements to the kids/teachers. The announcements could be heard very clearly across all rooms because each room has speakers in it! So as a result, we were unable to read, sleep or rest at all until 1 AM each night and we were woken up at 4 or 5 AM each day because of the annoying speaker system being used for announcements, alarms, etc. (it was very loud).

But that's not the worst bit.

Twice, TWICE, we came back after a day out and our hotel room had been left OPEN. When I asked the hotel staff/reception about it, all I got was a blank look. That's the language barrier mixed with apathy, the language barrier serving as a convenient excuse to not respond of course.

So to summarize: insecure and dirty. You can very easily find another hotel nearby, there are a lot.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple