See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 October 2009

I stayed here for 2 nights over Chuseok weekend and it was great. Just a little 11 room place so it was really cozy, the rooms are small but comfortable and some have a good sized private bathroom. In the morning there's bread, coffee and eggs in the kitchen for you to make at your leisure for free, that was a great touch. And free internet too. Really a steal and the couple that run the place are very nice. I highly recommend it.

Date of stay: October 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pickle81
Reviewed 25 August 2009

The place is exotic if you are not used to sleeping on a mat on the floor... It is perfect to taste the real taste of Gyeong-ju - traditional, welcoming, simple and cosy.
Homelike (why "-like"? it IS a real home of a Korean family) atmosphere and wonderful location. I enjoyed it completely. But be ready to fight some moskitoes in your room at night in August. And bring your towel with you (bathroom is very clean and comfortable, but no towel, which is OK for this type of hotel). Breakfasts are nice, and the deep well (200 years old!) in the owner's office is amazing!

Date of stay: August 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 16 February 2009

I stayed at this wonderful guesthouse with my dad for a night this past December. It was a bit more rustic than I had expected, but still a very fun place to stay. I would say it is somewhere between a b&b and a hostel, and as long as that is taken into consideration, it is fantastic. The hosts are so very nice and it is in such a fun neighborhood.

*** One decently obnoxious problem I did have was finding the place. Stupidly, I brought only my Lonely Planet guide to find Sa Rang Chae. The current Lonely Planet Guide to Korea has it quite wrong. It is near the location on the map, but certainly not there. Use the map on the guest house's website: http://www.kjstay.com/eng.htm, and it's actually quite easy to find. Again, this was purely my and Lonely Planet's fault, not Sa Rang Chae's.

Date of stay: December 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 23 October 2008

I cannot say enough about how wonderful my stay was at Sarang Chae. It was very easy to find, within a 15 minute walk of the bus terminal. The neighborhood is really quiet and the grounds of the guest house are so tranquil. Making a reservation was really simple, and I'd been worried since I asked about room availability the week I was planning on visiting.
The owner was so kind. He and his wife were truly gracious hosts and they showed us exactly how to get everywhere we needed to go. They even helped us with restaurant recommendations, and everywhere they suggested was delicious and inexpensive.
At night, the atmosphere becomes really cozy, with a firepit and quiet conversations out in the courtyard. When we came, the owner even treated us to a performance on his traditional Korean flute. The rooms were very clean, with bathrooms ensuite. We did have to ask for towels, but they were provided quickly and with a smile. The shower isn't your typical American shower inside a bathtub, but a showerhead attached to the wall with a drain on the floor of the bathroom, which is pretty typical of Korea. We slept really well, even for people who aren't used to sleeping on the floor.
All in all, it was a great place to experience traditional Korean culture. Oh, and the owner's Jindo dog was the sweetest thing ever!

Date of stay: August 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 June 2008

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this traditional, affordable guesthouse in historic Gyeong-ju, Korea. The small rooms are centered around a courtyard, where the owner can be found reading the paper and relaxing with his dogs.

The room was very simple, with a futon for the floor, traditional ondol floor-heating system and an attached bathroom with shower (though I don't believe all rooms are ensuite). The room cost 30,000 won a night.

The owner spoke good English and provided us with a hairdryer, converter plugs, towels and shampoo / conditioner upon request, free of charge. He also sat down with us and a map of the city and gave us his recommendations for things to do and see. Bulguksa Temple, The National Museum and Tumuli Park were all highlights. The guesthouse is literally next to Tumuli Park, and in a good central location.

The social life of the guesthouse was laidback and friendly. We got into many conversations with other guests in the shared common room, while making breakfast together and swapping guidebooks. The owner provides eggs, bread, butter, jam, tea, coffee etc. for all patrons to help themselves in the morning. We could also use the computer and internet freely, and peruse the books and games in the common room. Very convivial atmosphere.

3 nights at this guesthouse helped make Gyeong-ju by far the best part of our trip to Korea, and we highly recommend it.

Date of stay: April 2008