See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 March 2011

If you are just looking for a place to sleep that is in a great location then this is the place that you should book. They have both western and ondol (traditional Korean) rooms. It is a very old traditional place, nothing fancy and a bit overrun, and the rooms are tiny. Bring all your necessities including a towel, nothing is provided. The owner does speak English but he is hardly ever around, the wife is sweet and friendly. The rooms are warm but paper thin, get ready to know more about your neighbor than you should.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank Tracy E
Reviewed 21 March 2011

We really enjoyed our stay here. The room was clean and warm. The location could not be better. The owners were helpful in giving us directions. People have used the word rustic a lot to describe this place but I think that's to harsh. We stayed in the family room. Slept on very comfortable mats on the floor, took showers both mornings in a private bathroom, and ate a breakfast of toast and scrambled eggs. I don't think that is "rustic". Only complaint is that my shower went from hot to cold a lot. Otherwise comfortable place, memorable experience, and highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank jennteacher
Reviewed 20 December 2010

This was our first stop in South Korea and we loved this place. We requested a room with attached bathroom. It was more then we envisaged. We barely managed to squeeze our luggage into the room.
The owners were very helpful and friendly. Recommended a fantastic restaurant nearby for a BBQ dinner. Awesome.
The location of this guest house was excellent. It is walking distance to everything. (though the directions given on the map was unclear). 5mins walk to the main town area where you get shops, restaurants and the Hoff.
The heated floor was great for the brisk November temperature.
Loved the place.. a great beginning to our trip.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Family stayed two nights in their family ondol room.

ATMOSPHERE. You know that "if you stay in one hotel, you've stayed in them all" feel? This place doesn't have that. It feels VERY unique with its old-Korean architecture.

VIBE. Very backpacker. People clutching their Lonely Planet guidebooks as they arrive. We were the only family with kids staying there, but the owners made us feel welcome and we never felt uncomfortable or out of place. Owners spoke great English.

THE ROOM. We had the family ondol room - spacious with ensuite bathroom. No air conditioning, but plenty of fans.

SHARED FACILITIES. Plentiful eggs and toast for breakfast. Only one computer with internet access. No wireless.

LOCATION. A little hard to find because it's tucked in with houses and homes. Fortunately, being the only hotel/guest house in the area, locals were quick to point us in the right direction. The guesthouse is also in a neat location, right alongside Tumuli park. Plenty of restaurants in all directions.

VERDICT. How often do you get to stay in an old-Korean house? Great price and a great atmosphere.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 September 2010

I booked this guesthouse with much anticipation given how positive the reviews were. here's the break down:
service: its a husband and wife team. seems like the wife is running the place - enough english to communicate with travelers and their needs. beyond that, good luck with communication - call the tourist hotline. The wife is nice. Now the husband. Since the time i checked in at 3 pm till 8 pm, he was sitting in the courtyard drinking. When I first arrived and asked for the owner he just motioned me to his wife. First inkling that something was wrong.
cleaniless: yes this place is basic and old. But there are several things that should be a given such as a bug free room and a clean mattress. The source of my negative review all started with the mattress. The mattress i received was old, dingy, and its stuffing showing through several tears. There were even a cluster of what looked like to be black ink spots. could be bed bugs fecal stains.. But I figured i was being paranoid. Anyway went out and came back and decided to sleep on the floor. moved the matress against the wall to have some more floor space when I found a worm/(larvae?) wiggling out of the mattress. Now thats absolutely disgusting.
From bad to worse: I showed the wife who just killed the worm/larve and shrugged her shoulders at the black spots even when i showed her bedbug stains on the internet. here the language barrier starts becoming evident. She then calls her husband over who speaks angrily with the wife and removes the mattress. As I'm trying to communicate with the wife that I would like another room, the husband mentions in korean about having me leave to the bus terminal. Aghast, I then confronted the wife who just told me to ignore him. I decided to figure out my options. As i'm trying to figure out my options the husband orders me to come out of my room. He then motions me to look at the mattress when he placed in the middle of the courtyard on the table where he even has a magnifying glass. As i'm using my friend in seoul on the cell as a translator to explain to her my concern. the husband is snorting and even motions for another korean tourist to take a look at the mattress and telling her my "story". Even though i don't speak korean (understand a few words), body language is universal. He obviously thought I was crazy.
at the conclusion: i left. there was no need to deal with an owner who was uncooperative, unfriendly, and most of RUDE.
PROS: the wife despite her limited english was friendly and attempting to keep me calm. Was nice enough to call for a taxi and not charge me for the room when i left at 8PM.
location: excellent, though the hostel is hard to find at first by foot from the bus terminal. The map that is given has store names in english that is not always on advertised on the stores.
Conclusion: not sure where all these positive reviews came from. The wife was nice but the husband was a jerk.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo