“Pleasant Surprise”

Best Western Albany Airport Inn
Ranked #25 of 50 Hotels in Albany
Reviewed 19 June 2012

After doing a lot of research and reading a lot of reviews I decided to try this hotel because of it's location, reasonable price, and early breakfast. Yes, the building is older and could use some upgrading especially in the hallways. However, the rooms are clean, the beds are comfortable and the customer service is very good. Several reviews mentioned the bathrooms and I did notice that there were no grab bars to get in and out of the tub. Also the new bowed out shower curtain rods interfere with the door being able to open enough to clear the toilet so that a larger person would have to go in and close the door before being able to use it. On the upside, the free hot breakfast is very nice. There is fresh fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice, a make-your-own waffle maker, eggs, homefries, sausages, bagels, toast, muffins, donuts...much more than some other higher priced hotels offer. Upon checkout, Aaron even made sure our stay was added to my rewards program info even though I had forgotten my card. We do prefer upstairs rooms rather than have someone overtop of us. So, I was a little surprised that there is no elevator that I could find. Luckily, we were able to carry our suitcases upstairs so it wasn't a problem for us. Our first night stay was on the side of the hotel nearest the road and that was noisy, so we booked the next two separate one-night stays on the other side of the hotel overlooking the pool and had no noise issues. The A/C unit in the room was phenomenal because it did not keep cycling on and off and making clinking and clanking noises all night as some do and we slept very well. We will definitely be going back to this hotel.

Room Tip: My advice would be to choose a room as far away from Wolf Road, stair doors, and vending machines as...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Maybe I'm spoiled, but at these prices I expect free coffee in the lobby, 24/7. A room coffee maker just doesn't make a decent cup of coffee. The rooms are all on one floor so there are long hallways. Our room was in the back, so we used Entrance 6. As soon as we walked in, we could smell the cigarette smoke in this isolated part of the non-smoking hotel. It's not clear whether employees or guests were smoking. The bathroom exhaust fan didn't work so the mirror steamed after showering. Otherwise the room was comfortable and clean.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
SovereignHotel, Owner at Best Western Albany Airport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2012

First and foremost, I want to apologize since your stay was less than perfect. We try very hard to ensure that our guests are 100 satisfied with their stay and I hope you can contact us so we can make things right.

I appreciate your suggestion of having coffee in the lobby and completely agree with you. It would go nicely with the yummy chocolate chip cookies we already have at the front desk. I will talk to our food service vendor to what can be done about having coffee, tea, and hot chocolate for all guests.

As far as the smell of smoke goes, I am uncertain of it's origin. I will make sure that our staff pays special attention to any odors to prevent other guests from having the same experience. While your hallway was not near the smoking section, know that as of November 1, we will be going 100% smoke free.

I certainly hope you can give us another chance in future. Thank you.

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights Sat/Sun while visiting our daughter in Albany. The room was clean, king-size bed very comfortable, everything worked OK. One little complaint I have is that the wireless internet was somewhat slow by today's standards.

The free breakfast was about what you'd expect from this type of hotel, and the breakfast room was bright and clean. Someone was working there to keep stuff refilled and cleaned up constantly.

It was generally a quiet place, too, even though it's right by the road, and near the airport.

You can't go wrong staying here.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
SovereignHotel, Owner at Best Western Albany Airport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2012

Howard,

We appreciate the feedback regarding your experience at our hotel. Seeing that you have dozens of reviews under your belt, it was an honor to get such a great rating from you.

As you noted, we have a tremendous FREE full hot breakfast served daily. We regularly get rave reviews about our selection and quality.

As far as the internet, we have contacted our provider to investigate the cause of the signal strength issues you endured.

Thank you very much for taking the time to inform us and future guests of our property. The next time you are in town, please feel free to introduce yourself to us at the front desk.

Reviewed 12 June 2012

We had a block of about 45 rooms booked for wedding guests. Very friendly staff. A private breakfast ( breakfast was included with room) was set up for us for a small room fee. Rooms clean comfortable and for the price great. Location is minutes from airport but very quiet.

Room Tip: hotel is spread out and no elevators to 2nd floor. ask for a room near lobby and on 1st floor.
1  Thank organizerMA
Emilyinalbany, Manager at Best Western Albany Airport Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2012

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to leave us this review. I appreciate you commending my staff on their friendliness. We take pride in making customer service our number one priority!

In this economy everyone wants to get the most for their buck. We offer affordable rates, clean rooms, exceptional customer service, a free full hot breakfast and free shuttle service for all of our guests.

You would have probably thought that since we were so close to the airport that the noise may be bothersome, however we do have concrete walls which provide a nice sound barrier for our guests.

Thank you once again for your kind words and we will look forward to seeing you back during your next visit to Albany.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I stayed at the Best Western Albany Airport Inn on my way to Philadelphia. The hotel looks a little run down from the outside... but it's gotten a great face lift on the inside! Our room was very clean and comfortable and despite the proximity to the Interstate and the airport, it was completely quiet. Needless to say, I slept very well. The staff was cheerful and seemed excited to greet us. What a wonderful welcome... I'll definitely be staying there again when I'm in the Albany area. Oh, and the coffee's great.