“Wonderful Boutique Hotel in the Heart of Downtown”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Albany Downtown
Ranked #15 of 50 Hotels in Albany
GreenLeadersBronze level
Albany, New York
“Wonderful Boutique Hotel in the Heart of Downtown”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Rather than staying on the outskirts of downtown this fully staffed upscale boutique hotel is the perfect place to stay while doing business in our capital city. Great restaurant and valet parking. You will also find that another great restaurant is just around the corner. LeSerre - a longstanding fine french restaurant. The blackened caesar salad is a must. Gorgeous old wood decor. Outdoor dining in the summer.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Hebrew first
Camillus, NY
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We stayed here one night on our way to Boston. The staff could not have been more helpful. The rooms were very clean, comfy bed, nice bathroom. The location was convenient and easy. Price was amazing for the quality of the property. I do not understand the negative reviews. Don't hesitate to stay here.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
New York
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I need to be in Albany once or twice a year for business. I used to stay at the Crowne Plaza (now the Hotel Albany) until 2008 when I switched to 74 State. It was a great change from the customer unfriendly Crowne Plaza where one year I had to wait a full 30 minutes on line just to check in. In that respect, it still is.

It is a much smaller boutique hotel, and the staff remains as friendly and helpful as ever. It is nice to be greeted by name when you return from a long day at the Legislative Office Building which is only 4 blocks (uphill all the way) away. The rooms are more than adequate, the bathrooms spacious, and the bed is extremely comfortable. Easy to get a good night's sleep. The hotel is 100% non-smoking so there is never a problem with cigarette odor (a problem in the Crowne Plaza).

That being said, this stay was not without any disappointment. When I first stayed there in 2008, the hotel was fairly new (it opened in 2007 in a converted office building). Over the years, maintenance does not seem to have kept up with necessary items. The same stained elevator carpets that I saw last year, had not been adequately cleaned or replaced. The deadbolt lock in my room would not operate properly and could not be easily fixed (they did offer me a room change). While the pluses far outweighed the minuses, it just seemed to me that not enough attention was being paid to repairing or replacing those things subject to normal wear and tear.

Summary: The extremely friendly staff and superior service made up for any shortcomings in the physical plant. However, now that the Hotel Albany has become part of Hilton family, they might be worth a second look.

Room Tip: The 01, 02, and 03 rooms on each floor overlook State street.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank rxman48
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Overall, 74 State was a fine hotel at a decent price (about $125 give or take for the night). Its only MAJOR flaw stems from being in Albany, which was a ghost town.

Location: I chose 74 State for both price and location. I checked in on a Thursday night and had planned to meet a friend in the area for dinner, then walk to a business meeting in the morning. So, from a business point of view, it was perfect. About a ten minute walk to the Capitol Building, with a Starbucks on the way. The problem is that downtown Albany at night is freaky quiet. When I arrived around 6pm, there were people milling about in the lobby, the desk clerk was discussing restaurants with another guest, people were getting in and out of the lobby. When I left for dinner at 8, the lobby was deserted. When I returned at 11, I think I scared the clerk.

Rooms: I was given the option of a room with a window or a room without a window. You'd think that the windowless room would come with a discount, but for some reason, both cost the same. The room was large and clean. There is no mini-fridge. The bathroom was massive. You could put another bed in it. The furniture showed signs of wear, but nothing to indicate decrepitude. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. My biggest complain was that I couldn't figure out how to adjust the thermostat and I was freezing (Albany had snow at the time). I kept jacking the temperature up, and it kept resetting back to 66 degrees. This was annoying.

Value/Service: As I said, price was one reason I chose the hotel. It was cheaper than the Holiday Inn a few blocks away, but closer to the corporate section. Meanwhile, the Holiday Inn was right near the highway entrance ramp in an area resembling a Mad Max movie. 74 State has a restaurant and bar with (they claim) organic local cuisine. I didn't eat there, but the menu looked good. I had hoped to get a drink and read in the bar before bed the night I was there, but the bar closed at 11. Am I the only one who thinks that 11 is too early? The staff was helpful the few times I spoke to them (I didn't call about the thermostat for some reason). There is valet parking which you basically have to use if you drive and it costs an additional fee. I think it was $15 for the day.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again if I returned. My only complaint is that Albany shuts down and rolls up the sidewalks so early. Albany is in dire need of gentrification, but that isn't the fault of 74 State.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
New York, NY
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I would say the 74 State is a little better or on par with a Crowne Plaza or some other upper-middle range hotel. The room was really large, and the service was great. But I don't think it was $300 a night good.

Room Tip: The king size bed rooms (at least the room ending in 10 on each floor) are bigger because of they la...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business