“Good hotel/Ghost town.”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Good hotel/Ghost town.”
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Overall, 74 State was a fine hotel at a decent price (about $125 give or take for the night). Its only MAJOR flaw stems from being in Albany, which was a ghost town.

Location: I chose 74 State for both price and location. I checked in on a Thursday night and had planned to meet a friend in the area for dinner, then walk to a business meeting in the morning. So, from a business point of view, it was perfect. About a ten minute walk to the Capitol Building, with a Starbucks on the way. The problem is that downtown Albany at night is freaky quiet. When I arrived around 6pm, there were people milling about in the lobby, the desk clerk was discussing restaurants with another guest, people were getting in and out of the lobby. When I left for dinner at 8, the lobby was deserted. When I returned at 11, I think I scared the clerk.

Rooms: I was given the option of a room with a window or a room without a window. You'd think that the windowless room would come with a discount, but for some reason, both cost the same. The room was large and clean. There is no mini-fridge. The bathroom was massive. You could put another bed in it. The furniture showed signs of wear, but nothing to indicate decrepitude. The bed was very comfortable and I slept well. My biggest complain was that I couldn't figure out how to adjust the thermostat and I was freezing (Albany had snow at the time). I kept jacking the temperature up, and it kept resetting back to 66 degrees. This was annoying.

Value/Service: As I said, price was one reason I chose the hotel. It was cheaper than the Holiday Inn a few blocks away, but closer to the corporate section. Meanwhile, the Holiday Inn was right near the highway entrance ramp in an area resembling a Mad Max movie. 74 State has a restaurant and bar with (they claim) organic local cuisine. I didn't eat there, but the menu looked good. I had hoped to get a drink and read in the bar before bed the night I was there, but the bar closed at 11. Am I the only one who thinks that 11 is too early? The staff was helpful the few times I spoke to them (I didn't call about the thermostat for some reason). There is valet parking which you basically have to use if you drive and it costs an additional fee. I think it was $15 for the day.

Overall, I would definitely stay here again if I returned. My only complaint is that Albany shuts down and rolls up the sidewalks so early. Albany is in dire need of gentrification, but that isn't the fault of 74 State.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Hebrew first
New York, NY
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I would say the 74 State is a little better or on par with a Crowne Plaza or some other upper-middle range hotel. The room was really large, and the service was great. But I don't think it was $300 a night good.

Room Tip: The king size bed rooms (at least the room ending in 10 on each floor) are bigger because of they la...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Poughkeepsie, New York
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Twice in the past year, my girlfriend & I have attended concerts at "The Egg" in Albany, right across from the State Capitol bldg. That being said, it's located in a business district, so there's not much happening on the weekends other than at The Egg, or at Jack's Oyster House down the street. Most other local business appeared to be closed. However, both times we have stayed at 74 State we were truly impressed. The building, the staff, and the restaurant are all top notch. We were made to feel more than welcome - pampered would be a better word, especially on the most recent visit when we received a complimentary room upgrade. It's only blocks from "The Egg", a great place to see a show. So, take your significant other, book a fireplace suite and a couple of tickets for a concert, and have a wonderful romantic getaway.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Beautiful old Hotel very conveniently located near the state capital if you are doing business there. The rooms are stylishly decorated and have enormous bathrooms (seperate tub and shower). The ceilings are very high and the whole feel of the place is elegant "old school" charm. The service at the restaurant was prompt and pleasant and room service did not disappoint. If you have business to conduct in Albany, this would be the place to stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 February 2012

I needed at room in albany for the night with special attention to an early check-in at 11am.I understand a hotels policy with early check-in, but when rooms are available, make the customer happy. I contacted 74 State and spoke to Mary Ann and was I helped faster, and I was more satisfied, then any other hotel in the area. Thank you for your service!

David Ostellino