“Vegan options and great food!”

New World Bistro Bar
Ranked #2 of 696 Restaurants in Albany
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: A farm-to table Bistro serving global comfort food at 300 Delaware Ave in the city of Albany, NY. Offering farm raised meats, sustainable seafood, vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options.
Reviewed 8 February 2015

My family and I went to this restaurant for my birthday. it has several vegan options and really has some interesting food choices. The food was wonderful, great atmosphere, great service. We also had vegan dessert options!! Give yourself a treat and come check this place out!!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 February 2015

First I have to say that the hostess and the water boy were very unfriendly and unimpressionable. Our waitress, Sara, though was very friendly and accommodating. We had the calamari and nachos for an appetizer, the calamari was underwhelming and was a tiny portion for the $12 it cost. The nachos were amazing and for once there were more toppings than chips and the pork was absolutely amazing! My husband and I each had a special item for dinner, his was homemade pasta in a cheesy sauce with bacon that all seemed like it was made in house! Mine was a lamb shank dish that was absolutely delicious. All the men in the restaurant were staring at my dish!

Reviewed 28 January 2015 via mobile

I always like to give a balanced opinion of anyplace I dine, but keep in mind, I am a foodie, I know how to cook, I am price conscious, and know good restaurants and staff.

I dined here yesterday evening for the first time. It was a date setting. We arrived slightly before 5 o'clock because we were going to catch a show after, which was beginning early. They do not seat until 5 p.m. and we believe prefer reservations because that was the first question we were asked rather stiffly, even though no one else was at the restaurant yet. We were told we could wait at the bar as they were still "setting up".

Pros:
- Our young waiter, Matthew, was pleasant, actually enthusiastic and helpful even when things got busy.

- The food was divine. I had the Bistro ribeye with bleu butter and my date had jerk chicken with pickled greens and mashed sweet potatoes. If you are not a fan of spice, you can look on the menu to see the heat gradient, which they do in numbers. Even at the lowest number, the jerk chicken was much too spicy for my date, but this is why they have the sweet sides, which he did not eat. I tried them together and it was a perfect pairing. Absolutely phenomenal. We also tried the piggy nachos as an appetizer and the pork in these inspired a new recipe for me. I even brought an order home for my young son and he devoured them and the first comment he made was how delicious the pork was on the nachos. That's how good they taste, although he would love to see some type of cheese when I make my version.

- Local brews on tap. I had the oatmeal stout, which was absolutely delicious. My date tried the only gluten free bottled beer, which tasted like Aqua Net hairspray with carbonation. Both he and I would not recommend it. They have a substantial wine list as well.

- They have a full vegan and gluten free menu. I mean, anything you want on the menu to be substituted can be. Including all their sandwiches. I really have never seen such an immense menu for people who cannot eat gluten. It was also a nice menu for vegans, I suppose, but I am an omnivore.

Cons -
- The female bartender was not that pleasant. She made a really good whiskey sour and a classic margarita for us, but they were very small to pay almost 19 dollars for the two. Stick to wine or beer to save money.

- I don't know if it was intentional as this was my first time at the restaurant, but when we were seated before anyone else as we were first, we were put in the worst possible table in the bar area that gets all the traffic. I normally do not like to be in the center of a room due to a weird OCD quirk, but I went with it and I think it would have been more enjoyable if we had just requested a table that wasn't right by the register and back stairs.

I tried to take as many pictures as possible. I would say on average for two people having a few drinks, you'll spend about $100. Most entrees were well over $20, but I believe it is a bargain for the type of food you are getting here, which is fresh, prepared to order, and seasoned to perfection. It is definitely a local favorite restaurant.

1  Thank Beth O
Reviewed 14 January 2015

My wife and I originally fell in love with Ric Orlando's restaurants when we visited the 'Mothership,' New World Home Cooking in Saugerties, NY way back when. Since then, we've been hooked. We come here just about once a month and always swear to try something different before we end up getting the same things we always get. Luckily, the menus they have are seasonal, so that forces us to change it up a bit sometimes. But with that said, you can almost always find me wolfing down some of the Seitan Wings or a pizza (or, often times, both). It can get very crowded and, with crowds, noisy, but make no mistake. The din you hear from the dining room is from customers who know to come hungry and leave happy. The best restaurant in Albany, hands down.

Reviewed 22 December 2014

We have been to New World many times over the years(gave it a great review in October, 2012) and have always liked it, so this meal to celebrate a graduation was a huge disappointment. It started when the hostess wanted us to sit at the worst table in the house(immediately adjacent to the service bar). This table is too cramped for 4 and they had it set for our reserved group of 5. When we asked for a better table we were given the full passive aggressive slow motion walk to a different table. The drinks were sub par. Bland mojitos, a tiny margarita with no sweet in the sweet and sour mix and something called an hedonic gin and tonic that was undrinkable(and all of us took a sip to confirm). The yellow curry with fat noodles and tofu had a couple chunks of ground beef in among the noodles(a bummer for the vegetarian eating it). The Asian guacamole was undistinguished. Grilled chicken breast was tasteless. Jerk chicken and Thai Italian Love were both good. The swordfish special was tasty, but the accompanying kimchi tasted of nothing but salt. I hope our experience was the exception and is not representative of a trend.

1  Thank Keenefleet

Been to New World Bistro Bar? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK