We were recommended Nihiwatu by a friend who went there on their honeymoon 5 years ago and have been itching to go since we moved to Singapore, we knew it was going to be a special place but we were still completely blown away.
The dates we wanted to travel did not fit in with the charter flight so we flew on the local airline which ran like clockwork (once you got through the building site state that Bali airport in currently in), in fact we landed early on both legs of the journey and the VIP Nihiwatu service was a huge help. Do not let the 90 minute transfer to the resort put you off either, it was a highlight for me to drive through the island seeing various villages on the way and stunning views it really gives you a feel for the resort.
From the moment we arrived at the airport the service was second to none, every member of staff knew your name and genuinely seemed delighted to welcome you to their paradise. We stayed in a two bedroom, family villa with some friends and their children. The villa was beautiful - the rooms were impeccably clean, well laid out, spacious and tastefully decorated. The family villas are located at the top of the resort so they are very peaceful and you have a huge veranda with day beds and plenty of room for the kids to play.
The food was consistently excellent and we LOVED sun downers served by Paulus! After 4 days on the water with Christian we all had the Aloha, our paddle boarding trip is something I will remember forever!
The new manager George is a huge asset to the resort, he has impeccable standards and is constantly on the go to ensure that everything runs perfectly and that you are getting that absolute maximum out of your stay. It was one of our friend's birthday when we were out there and he went to a huge amount of trouble to organise a private bbq dinner (beautifully decorated with lanterns and flowers) by the pool overlooking the moon lit sea - it was absolutely perfect.
When you return to Bali after your trip to Nihiwatu you are again hit by how special Sumba/Nihiwatu is - so tranquil, calm and genuinely off the beaten track. I cannot wait to return!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Voted #1 Hotel in the World for 2016 by Travel & Leisure magazine. An award-winning luxury resort on remote Sumba Island, Indonesia. A wide range of land and ocean-based experiences ensures all tastes are catered to. Attentive service and gourmet meals add to the refined and intimate ambience. A romantic getaway idyll with pristine private beach stretching in excess of 2.5km of length ideal for honeymooners and the unique tribal culture on the island offers guests a glimpse of a bygone era. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Hotels.com so you can book your Nihiwatu reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nihiwatu Hotel Sumba
- Nihiwatu Hotel Waikabubak
- Nihiwatu Resort Waikabubak