Hotel Happy Happy
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$ 22
  • Free Internet
Rima Hotel(Ruteng)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Free Internet
All reviewshomemade breaddutch coupleplace to staythe ownerhot waterclean roomsin towngreat wifiexcellent breakfastfree coffee and teaother hotelsbook swapwifi worksbig breakfastnice hotelpancakesno frills
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I loved my stay at the Happy Happy. I got advised by a friend to stay here and I was NOT disappointed at all. The hotel is very clean, spacious and it's wonderful to relax here after a day of traveling. The beds are wonderful and comfortable, but best of all are the hot showers. Very unique in Flores and so great to have. But the amazing breakfast (home made bread) and the free wifi are a bit plus too. You couldn't wish for a better host than Marie (and Henk).

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Very nice couple that can provide a lot of information about the area and arrange day trips with local guides.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 March 2012

The rooms are clean and the beds have a good mattresses. Moreover, free wifi is available. In the morning a delicious breakfast with fresh fruit is served. The owner and his staff are friendly and helpfull.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2012

My husband beat me to the punch and posted a review of this wonderful hotel without telling me first, so I decided to write my own review too.

Many accommodations on the island of Flores are not quite as clean or friendly as what you might hope for. Hotel Happy Happy, on the other hand, is an oasis of comfort and whimsy. When we visited, we could tell we were in for an experience, just based on the bright purple exterior and those big yellow smiley faces. Inside, everything was fresh and clean--gleaming floors, fresh paint, clean bedding--completely spotless. We had our choice of rooms and selected one near the back, away from the road. We had clean sheets, clean towels, free drinking water, free Wi-Fi, and best of all, a wonderful Western-style flushing toilet that actually worked. In the morning, our hosts prepared a delicious breakfast for us including several kinds of fruit, freshly made (homemade!) bread, butter, jam, real coffee, freshly squeezed juice, hot scrambled eggs, cheese, and tomatoes.

The owners, Henk and Marie, were super friendly and helpful in every way. They gave us lots of hints and tips on area attractions. When I'd mentioned to Marie that I would like to buy a quality piece of Ikat, she immediately offered to take me on her scooter to the local market to look at pieces made by villagers from surrounding communities. Unfortunately we were getting ready to hit the road, or I would have taken her up on the offer.

In summary, this hotel really lives up to its name. If you find yourself looking for a place to stay in Bajawa, don't go by the recommendations in your most likely outdated guidebook. Instead, stop in at Hotel Happy Happy. We would recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone looking for that proverbial port in the storm.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back and away from the road are quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I'm glad that tripadvisor FINALLY got this setup. We asked for it back in Sept. Yay!

We took the road trip across the island as many people do. We did have a private car, but that didn't help with all the bumps and switchbacks. After another long day of driving, we pulled into Bajawa and the driver took us to the "best" place to stay in town. We took a quick look around and thought we'd check out this somewhat funky place we spotted as we first got to town. I saw "funky" since it was a purple building with a big smiley face painted on the wall. As we pulled up, I noticed a couple sitting out front. I decided to ask them how the accommodations were. They replied, saying that the place is great! They then added that they are the owners. :-) Our hosts, Henk and Marie, had recently moved from Holland to open the motel. They said they had only been open for 10 days. We asked to look at the rooms and they gladly obliged. The common area is spacious, with rooms along the perimeter and a dining area in the front. The rooms are spacious enough - plenty for two people. They gave us a welcome drink and made us feel at home. They also offered to tune the TV to whatever we liked, as well as to share their living room. Other nice touches were unlimited purified water and liters of Bintang for purchase (try finding cold beer in Bajawa outside of a restaurant - good luck!) There is a decent (barely) restaurant just a short walk from Happy Happy called Dito's. We ate there twice and didn't get sick. That's a good sign.

I can't say enough about the hospitality that Marie & Henk showed us. They were very informative and simply fun to talk with. Plus, the accommodations were great, especially when you consider just where in the world it is located. Here's a tip for anyone that is passing through Bajawa: As you pull into town, the road turns to the left, and there is a purple building on the right smiling at you - STOP! That is where you should stay the night.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple