“Good hotel but service needs improvement”

JW Marriott Hotel Medan
Ranked #1 of 72 Hotels in Medan
Wien
“Good hotel but service needs improvement”
Reviewed 29 March 2012

The Marriott is the best hotel in town with a nice lobby and well equipped, clean and spacious room. There is a variety of restaurants available but as in most of the 5star hotels quite expensive to the same quality outside. As a recommendation there is a very good fish and seafood restaurant around the corner, when you leave the hotel go left and pass the road then you find the restaurant on the left side.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 4 March 2012

I think this is the greatest hotel in Medan. It is nothing to complaint about this hotel, only the its location in Medan has nothing to offer except for the cheap consumer products like electrical appliances and clothing. Not to forget, the beautiful panorama in Lake Toba.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hafidz M
Surabaya
Reviewed 4 March 2012

When we came nobody gave us greetings. Even on the check in desk, we were waiting for about 15 minutes without being noticed. We could check in after we asked the check in officer "can I check in now?" Check in process took long time and not efficient and check in officer seemed to be not properly trained.

And our problem beginning from here, the reception did not give my id card back after the check in process. Realizing she had my id card, she should have called or sent it to my room and for that, she had given me a very serious problem. I went to restricted and conflict areas in Aceh without knowing I didn't have my id card along. No one even remember to give it back when I was checking out.

After returning home, I called to ask for the id card to be sent to me and the reception asked for the shipping cost. I found it very funny that I was asked to pay the shipping cost of the ID card left on the check in desk which was not even my mistake. I said no, I'm not paying the shipping cost, and the guy on the phone promised to send my id card on the next day (I called on Feb. 27). I just received my ID card after 5 days, they use bad courier service that I believe affected to Marriott reputation as well.

This hotel look like two star hotel than five star hotel due to employee performance.

Room Tip: Ask for high floor, you will see awesome sunrise or sunset scenery.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Medan is sprawling, polluted, and chaotic, so it was nice to stay in such an elegant hotel. The lobby and room definitely is worthy of five stars, but I found the overall service to be lacking.

Pros
- About 15 minutes from the airport. A taxi voucher is IDR55,000 at the airport desk, which is easily double what you'd pay on the meter. But that's a separate topic about the sad state of Indonesia's airport facilities.
- About 10 minutes from any of the few local sites in Medan.
- Huge lobby area with fast and free wifi.
- Nice selection of pretty good food across several restaurants.
- Heavy security presence upon entry, even if you're a guest. This includes bomb sniffing dogs and metal detectors. Perhaps a bit alarming, but I found this standard across Java as well.
- Beautiful swimming pool, which was always empty.
- Their deluxe room was stunning, with such comfortable beds and an elegant bathroom, complete with rain shower and soaking tub.

Cons
- Service was strangely bipolar. The women at check in seemed sullen and stared at me for a good ten seconds in silence when I told them I was checking in for two days. They only seemed to warm after discovering I'm a Marriott Rewards member from the US. Perhaps the tanned Asian face and backpack threw them off?
- Upon approaching the concierge to locate the ATM and ask for assistance in booking a flight, she actually waved me
off and pointed me to a doorman instead. To his credit, he was able to help with my former request.
- To be fair, the service "behind the scenes" was great and friendly, so it's a shame that both the front desk and concierge were so lacking in training and (frankly) decent manners.
- They advertise wifi access for a fee in rooms, but I wasn't able to get a signal on the 26th floor.

I would recommend this hotel for anyone using Medan as a quick jumping off point to other destinations, but don't expect the level of service you would get at other Marriotts.

• Stayed February 2012
Jakarta
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Despite the kocation that needs one to go around to get to the city central,a reliable taxi is always available
Other than that,they really deliver the quality they boast in their brand

• Stayed January 2012