“Just ok.”

Ranked #3 of 35 Dessert in Medan
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 11 February 2012

The people watching and semi-historic setting were more inspiring than the food. And the roadside location is noisy with traffic. Popular for the ice cream and desserts. Not much good for us vegans.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

Went to Tip Top four times in four days. Food fantastic - well-prepared, cheap, abundant, wonderful. The restaurant itself is in a dire little neighbourhood in a double-dire city, and it was a pure oasis. Gloriously disinterested staff (until you smile, when they lit up), 50 year old busboys and older waiters, original decor, cold beer and crisp, tasty bitter ballen. I'd go back to Medan just to eat there again, it was that good. And then, twice a week (our stay only allowed us to see them once) they have a seven-piece mariachi band. Five guitars. Five. They were doing unbelievable reaching harmonies on wild versions of My Way and Country Roads and Hotel California. The rain was thundering down four feet away from our table and the band were WAILING and I sat there with my knife and fork hovering over my plate, mouth hanging open, stunned by the music. Astonishing. It was maybe Wednesday night they were playing, and one more. Worth a trip to Indonesia just for the band, and the food tip-topped it off. Go.

Reviewed 2 February 2012

for people who like to enjoy old history of Colonialism Deutsch time can come here. its long history restaurant

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Used to like this place a lot when I was a kid. Now, I guess time has worn this place down. I hope the owner will do some improvement to the place, it has so much potential. The ox-tongue steak is a must try.

Reviewed 16 January 2012

I came to this restaurant is accidentaly actually. My main destination was Tjong Afie's house, but tht house was still close and I must wait about an hour till it open.I decided to walked around the area and found this resto. But I have heard about this restaurant long time before for it;s antique and history. So I was so happy and spent an hour here. Many visitors was foreigners, perhaps because it;s history that this resto was build since Ducth Occupying in Indonesia. I love the ambience of the resto, but I cant give the value for the food because I just ordered the ice cream (i have taken my breakfast when I came there). It was a handmade ice cream, simple and worth the price :)