US$ 82
  • Pool
US$ 36
US$ 31
US$ 30
Kertanegara Premium Guest House(Malang)(Great Value!)
US$ 23
US$ 42
US$ 41
US$ 32
Cancelon
TripAdvisor
All reviewshelios hotelhelios toursbring earplugsdouble bednice atmospheresunrise tourplace to staymalang cityclose to the train stationnice viewtraditional foodgazebobamboodormhostelrooftopsleep
Reviewed 19 August 2017

I stayed in Kampong Tourist for 2 nights on July.
The hostel itself is in rooftop of Helios hotel. You need to take 4 flight of stairs to reach Kampong Tourist.

The location is surprisingly convenient, very close to train station (only like 2-minutes bike ride away), and there are also stores close by to buy cigarettes or bottled water. I didn't eat in the diner around the hostel, but I noticed there were food hawkers within the walking distance. One was right in front of the hostel and it sold fried rice.

I took double bed in the dormitory for 120K IDR/2 persons. Bed and pillow sheets were provided, just you gotta put them on by yourself. They also gave us blankets. Malang at night was pretty chilly and I felt like the blanket didn't give enough warmth.

There are 2 toilets, 4 showers, and 1 wash basin. You have to bring your own toilet paper. The hot water in the shower was kinda tricky, it went from super hot to super cold in like 5 minutes and another 5 minutes to go from super cold to super hot, so I took shower using cold water just to make it easy. I realised the water was not clean either. Once when I took shower, the water was murky and there were dirt and sand-like particles in it.

The kitchen in the hostel offers meals and beverages at rational price, for example coffee for 5K IDR and chocolate milk for 12K IDR :) All in all, it was a great package. That's why next time I'm traveling to Malang again, I will stay at this hostel.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2017 via mobile

This hostel is built on the roof of another hotel and is a nice place to stay. Eventhough the breakfast is not included, it is worth coming here for different reasons. First, the beds are very comfortable. Then, from time to time there is a imam from a nearby village which maybe invites you to come to his village. He is an english teacher and might ask you to come to his english school. We went there on a sunday and felt a bit bad because all the children had to show up especially for us on a free day.
Anyway, if you take a single bed it is possible that you will sleep very high above the ground. If you roll around during sleep, the hight might be a bit scary. Since there is only one bed with mosquito net, we highly recommend to bring along your own. The walls are made of bamboo and everything just flies in. In the morning you will hear the muezin loud and clear, which will help to stand up early.
It's a good base to go to Gunung Bromo. After a sunrise tour to Bromo you might want to take earplugs along.
All in all we enjoyed our stay here.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The atmosphere at this hostel was really nice and the food in the restaurant was tasty. However, the room itself had no windows and (perhaps due to being on the top of 5 bunks and having a really really small and thin blanket) was very cold at night time as well as extremely loud with noises from the nearby street (which normally do not disturb me).

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Kampong_Tourist, Manager at Kampong Tourist, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review!
Our dormitory has Javanese window as we used a real old Javanese house (more than 100 years) to build it. Javanese windows means a window without glass but with wooden bars. The windows can be closed with wooden shutters.
It indeed is very cold these last weeks in Malang. It seems that Java also is affected by 'global' warming. This weather we normally have in December, January or February.
Please note that everybody is free to ask for another blanket! You will definitely get one....

Best regards,
Management Kampong Tourist

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

This hostel is as a hostel should be. Relaxing and with good atmosphere and the best about it: it's on the rooftop
Nice staff and a good dorm. Just the noisy street can be heard always, so I recommend to use earplugs.
All im all a cheap and nice backpacker hostel

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

Since we booked a trip with Helios Tours (Semeru - Bromo - Ijen) which started in Malang they offered us a free night at Kampong Tourist (which they owe) to start our trip from there. We gladly accepted and were surprised just how unique and cosy this place is. The gazebo's are great, spacious enough, with a good bed. Everything is very clean. It's located at a good spot close to the train station and a good base to visit Malang. The only thing we do have to mention is that the street noise is really loud up there. Especially the loud noise of all the motorcycles really keeps you up at night. When you do fall asleep the minarets of the mosks wake you up again... I slept with earplugs but my husband was up amost the entire night.
So really recommandable, but bring earplugs.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple