All reviewshelios hotelhelios toursbring earplugstrain stationdouble bednice atmospheresunrise tourplace to staymalang citynice viewtraditional foodgazebobamboodormhostelrooftopaccommodation
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The atmosphere at this hostel was really nice and the food in the restaurant was tasty. However, the room itself had no windows and (perhaps due to being on the top of 5 bunks and having a really really small and thin blanket) was very cold at night time as well as extremely loud with noises from the nearby street (which normally do not disturb me).

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Kampong_Tourist, Manager at Kampong Tourist, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Dear Guest,

thank you for your review!
Our dormitory has Javanese window as we used a real old Javanese house (more than 100 years) to build it. Javanese windows means a window without glass but with wooden bars. The windows can be closed with wooden shutters.
It indeed is very cold these last weeks in Malang. It seems that Java also is affected by 'global' warming. This weather we normally have in December, January or February.
Please note that everybody is free to ask for another blanket! You will definitely get one....

Best regards,
Management Kampong Tourist

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

This hostel is as a hostel should be. Relaxing and with good atmosphere and the best about it: it's on the rooftop
Nice staff and a good dorm. Just the noisy street can be heard always, so I recommend to use earplugs.
All im all a cheap and nice backpacker hostel

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 June 2017 via mobile

Since we booked a trip with Helios Tours (Semeru - Bromo - Ijen) which started in Malang they offered us a free night at Kampong Tourist (which they owe) to start our trip from there. We gladly accepted and were surprised just how unique and cosy this place is. The gazebo's are great, spacious enough, with a good bed. Everything is very clean. It's located at a good spot close to the train station and a good base to visit Malang. The only thing we do have to mention is that the street noise is really loud up there. Especially the loud noise of all the motorcycles really keeps you up at night. When you do fall asleep the minarets of the mosks wake you up again... I slept with earplugs but my husband was up amost the entire night.
So really recommandable, but bring earplugs.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 June 2017 via mobile

Me and my friends stayed here, and we had a great time. The dorms are very cozy, but the best part is the staff. Each staff member was so service minded! One of them even took a cab ride to Surabaya airport to deliver a forgotten passport! We were positively surprised. Definitely the place to stay at Malang!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
Kampong_Tourist, General Manager at Kampong Tourist, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2017

Dear Guys,

thank you for staying at our hostel! Enjoy the rest of your trip through Indonesia.

Best regards,
Martine

Reviewed 3 May 2017

The hostel with nice atmosphere and so artistic. I like the place, because of its interior and clean. The location is strategic and helpful for me to walk around near Malang city, enjoying neighborhood, and look for some traditional food. I hope I can go to Kampong Tourist again while traveling to Malang. It's really recommended place.

But, too bad there's always noisy during 3 am. I don't know where the sounds come from.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo