All reviews helios hotel helios tours bring earplugs train station double bed nice atmosphere sunrise tour place to stay malang city nice view traditional food gazebo bamboo dorm hostel rooftop accommodation
Reviewed 18 March 2016

This is a really cool place to stay for a couple of nights. It is situated on the roof of another hotel (Helios), is very basic, but has a nice bar/restaurant. View from the roof over Malang is cool. You can stay in the dorm, but we took one of the gazebo's. They are basic, with two mattrasses on the ground and a fan. You share two toilets and two showers with the other two gazebo's (so 4 other people). Expect to wake up early from the sounds of the mosques. You can book tours to Bromo downstairs, at Helios tours, but don't forget to haggle.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
Kampong_Tourist, Manager at Kampong Tourist, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2016

Dear guest,

thank you for your review. Appreciated by us and your fellow travelers.

Best regards,
Kampong Tourist

Reviewed 22 February 2016

I stayed at Kampong Tourist for two nights, after which I was very happy to leave in search of better places. The gazebos are nice, but are a bit overpriced, the hot water, nay the water, didn't work for the time I was there, just like the internet. I had to pay for my own toilet roll (since there were none in the toilet). All of this can be ok, as long as the staff is communicative about the issues and tries to resolve them. I did not have the sense they did this or wanted to, since I had to push them to do something about the internet situation (they did not seem to care) and ask them again repeatedly after, just like the water, which did not work at all the whole time I stayed there. I unfortunately did not feel welcome at all, especially after the staff asked me and my friends to be quiet after ten, and then waking me up around two talking loudly and playing music. I would definitely not recommend anyone staying here, until they have sorted out the basics and taught their staff how to make people feel at home.

Stayed: January 2016
Kampong_Tourist, Manager at Kampong Tourist, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2016

Dear guest,

thank you very much for taking time to write us a review.
I would like to respond to the issues that you shared with us.
1. indeed we had a water problem. We use a water pump to get water from our well to the showers. One of the water pumps needed to get repaired which took time, a little too long.
2. internet problems come and go as we are in Indonesia. We work with the biggest provider to avoid problems, Telkom, who is a semi-privatized, but mainly state-owned company. We have to wait for their response in case of problems. We reported the problem as soon as we knew, as we need internet for our business as well.
To have a back up, we now work together with the hotel, we are on the roof of Hotel Helios. We can connect to their WiFi if needed (and if they aren't experiencing the same problem).
3. we have problems with toilet paper, that gets thrown into the toilet in stead of the available dustbins. As the sewer system in Indonesia differs, way smaller pipes, our toilets get blocked often. Therefor, we stopped providing toilet paper for free. This eased our problems and we now try to explain the problem to our guests. It might be an idea to hang an explanation with the Indonesian sewer system at the toilet to make people aware and understand the problems.
(Indonesians don't use toilet paper, just water).
4. Kampong Tourist has 11 rules that are displayed. Rule number 4 is to be quiet after 10 pm. The bar also closes at 10 pm. That is because we want to serve the guests that like to sleep, and not to be disturbed by those who are drinking at the bar. You were talking with our own internship students from Holland who know the rules.
Just in front of our hostel, there is a small bar mainly visited by local students. Mondays they have live music till 12 midnight, unfortunately.

I am sorry if our staff didn't manage to explain our rules/problems in a friendly way and made you feel mostly unwelcome. We have meetings in which we discuss how to treat guests to avoid undesirable situations. We will discuss your complaints again.

Reviewed 7 February 2016

This is the place to stay in Malang!
Great value for the money and yet you can get more...
The internship students that work at the reception (Reno and Ricky) did a great job making my stay in Malang memorable!
Young guys motivated by desire to practice their English and learn about other countries/cultures. In exchange they will make sure you have a good time in their city too.
They can take you to city tour and show around for free (or if you like you can invite for a lunch or just a drink :) And if you ask they can offer off the beaten trek tour as well - the back streets and some other cool places!
If the Malang city is not enough - there are some other great places around (waterfalls, viewpoints, etc..). But the special thing is alternative (non touristy) way of visiting Bromo National Park with possibility to experience real rural life visiting villages around. Definitely recommend to stay for couple nights in village’s homestays: beautiful nature, rural life, home food and all this with Zero tourists around :)
Had an unforgettable experience!
Just ask and they will help :)

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2016

This is definitely one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in. As with travelling in general, it's the people that make an experience, and the staff here are so friendly, helpful and fun to chat to that you straight away feel comfortable there. Each morning you can have breakfast on the terrace looking out at the city as it stirs awake, and also relax in the evenings with a drink and food from the restaurant/ bar in the hostel. The accommodation itself is basic, but it feels a little adventurous and all the facilities are kept clean (watch out for wee lizards in the showers, they're harmless!) If you're looking to explore the area, you can also organise some great excursions with Helios tours; the guides are hilarious, talkative and happy to arrange a tour to your wishes, including temples/ hiking/ hot springs. The prices for these tours are very reasonable and allow you to see parts of the region you never would if travelling alone. Overall, a great place to stay a few days, not just a transit spot!

• Stayed: December 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 January 2016

Good value and great atmosphere Wonderful views and

good location. Very helpful staff . Its worth a visit for a coffie or drink ,just to see the place. Quite Unique ! Take the lift from the lobby in the Helios Hotel, and walk up to the next rooftop level. Edward (Ted) Bromfield, Perth West Australia.

• Stayed: March 2015, travelled solo