“Great place to stay for all types of travelers”
Review of Abangan Bungalow

Abangan Bungalow
Ranked #154 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 27 January 2012

A good place to stay if you are not after all the bells and whistles. Such good value for money.
They had no standard fan rooms available so we were upgraded for free to an air on bungalow which was fantastic.
The bathrooms are basic, but all you need, shower, toilet, sink and mirror.
The upstairs room has beds and a mirror and a wardrobe. Note there is nowhere to keep drinks etc cool, which isn't a big deal.
The best thing was the porch, with a day bed, table and two chairs. The super-friendly staff brought breakfast to us every morning to eat on the porch overlooking the most amazing greenery.
A good place to enjoy a relaxing breakfast with a book and a good place to rest your head once you're done exploring for the day.
On another note, it is well located, about a 5 minute walk from the ubud markets and monkey forest, so very accessible but tucked away so it remains peaceful.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elliet86

Reviewed 15 January 2012

Ubud is a wonderful place and the best part of Bali. If you are looking for beaches and partying - go to Kuta or Seminyak. If you want peace and relaxation, go to Ubud. It is serene, extremely lush and green, and offers plenty of good eateries, shops, and activities. This is a place where you can step off the main road and immediately be able to wander through rice fields and chat with local farmers. Abangan is located right on the main road so it is easy to get to everything. You can arrange cars/tours right through the hotel staff, Putu who picked me up from the airport and checked me in also drove me around everywhere. Probably cheaper elsewhere, but literally only a few bucks difference for a safe journey.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank Shri I
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Had a very comfortable stay in room 1A which is in a block of 4 rooms. The room had a huge balcony and lovely bathroom. Each morning breakfast was brought up to the balcony which was a lovely touch.

There is a small pool in the garden which is a great way to cool down after a day walking around Ubud. The walk behind the hotel to the organc restaurant is really pretty and worth a visit.

We arranged a private driver through the hotel which was a great way to see the local sights.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lucy_n_Lewis
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We booked this online with Agoda last minute and were so pleased that we did!! On arrival we were really early but they let us check in anyway. The room was spotless, large and had a brilliant balcony.

The room price included breakfast which was bought up to our room each morning so we could eat on the balcony, this was a really nice touch.

The staff are very friendly and chatty and will help organise taxis, scooter rental etc.

Location is fantastic, about a 2 minute stroll into the main part of town near a lot of restaurants, bars etc.

I would recommend this place to all of my friends.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Suz B
Reviewed 16 April 2011

I travelled to Ubud without a reservation and looked at a few places before settling in at Abangan. I enjoyed myself so much I ended up staying 16 nights. The staff are fantastic. No sooner had I stepped onto my patio in the morning than someone was there asking me what I would like for breakfast. And in low season I was able to negotiate a price of approximately $20 a night with breakfast which was the best value of any hotel I looked at in Ubud.

The bungalows are lovely two-story affairs with a bathroom and large patio on the ground floor and a sleeping loft upstairs. All of the bungalows are different- so if you can look at a few before choosing one. They are numbered 1-15 and the higher the number the farther you are away from the main street but the more likely you are to hear roosters in the morning from the surrounding fields. I liked bungalows 3 and 8 personally. The bungalows all face onto a small river gorge which give them all a sense of privacy.

There is a small swimming pool for cooling down at the end of the day. They also have free wifi in the lobby which I used frequently for skype and for emails but which wasn't fast enough on my Iphone to surf websites.

The bungalows are in a great location. 5 minutes walk gets you to central Ubud but they are right at the start of the rice fields which make for a lovely sunset stroll.

The negatives: I had to change pillows because the ones in the room smelled a little. Also, the mattress is made of soft foam so I wouldn't recommend the bungalows to anyone with back pain. Finally, I stayed there on 3 Saturday nights and on two of them the temple across the river hosted band practice from 930 am to midnight. It is definitely loud enough that there is no chance of sleeping until they are finished. I was already installed so didn't bother moving but had I known about this noise, I might have chosen a different hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo