All reviews raw food steam room detox program zen villas coconut water juices and smoothies colonic irrigation healing massage green juice herbal tea spirit package hot ginger river room spa treatments body and soul rice fields new wing
Reviewed 10 January 2018

Ubud Sari is a nice place, if firmly situated in the three star experience. Founded in 1996 as a fasting detox spa, it has had time to grow. The grounds are beautifully kept, carved out of what would be deep jungle, with lovely open areas, old growth trees and hundreds of Balinese and Papuan statues, many in a state of ‘pleasing decay.’ The resort is split into two halves with the front, closer to the road, the older area. This is the more charming part of the resort, as it has had time to settle into itself. The rooms here are more rustic though, many made as split-board wood houses with accompanying outdoor seating.

Dividing the resort is a steep ravine with a swiftly flowing river that goes over a roaring waterfall that accompanies the Zen Cottages area. The developers have created a fishpond and a lovely bridge to connect the resort’s halves, which now are the centerpiece of Ubud Sari. These are accompanied by a number of sitting areas where you can relax, meditate, and just watch the world go by.

Up the hill on the far side of the ravine is Ubud Sari’s newer section. It is a bit of a hike up, especially if you’re fasting. This includes stand-alone rooms looking down the slope and a larger building complex that houses rooms overlooking the new, beautiful infinity pool and a long hallway of additional accommodation, all of which is situated under the yoga and meditation room. This open-air meditative space is one of the highlights of Ubud Sari, designed in a colonial-cum-Bali style that is entirely fitting to its purpose.

With respect to services, Ubud Sari is a self-styled spa, fasting, and detox facility. Many of the guests are here for this purpose. Staff claim that Ubud Sari is the first such detox facility in Bali, and that it was founded by an American who managed it until his death some years back. Unfortunately there is a sense that something important left with the founder’s passing. Ubud Sari feels a little worn by time.

Top of the list in this respect are the spa facilities. They need an overhaul. There is a box they call a sauna that has space for two people only. It seems somewhat beyond the staff to manage it, and at times it appears to be too hot for reasonable occupancy (e.g. 65 degrees centigrade). The steam room isn’t a space I would want to spend much time. It is grotty and doesn’t achieve an appropriately high temperature. Finally there is a small whirlpool (4 people max), which is cold. I’m sure that during Bali’s hot months, this is a welcome relief, but I was there during rainy season, which can get chilly. What the spa lacks is a standard hot pool, which is a real oversight. Beyond this, the facilities feel as though they’ve been there for twenty years. In many locations (changing rooms, etc.), I found I wanted my flip-flops on.

Ubud Sari has a long list of spa treatments. I thought these were all done with a good degree of professionalism and skill, although some practitioners are more skilled than others. One point of note is the number of male therapists, which is surprisingly high. If you’re a guy, you’ll almost certainly get a guy massaging you unless you ask for a woman, which can feel awkward for some. The massage rooms are built on stilts above a pond, which is charming unless the mosquitoes are on the up that day.

Ubud Sari prides itself on its colonic facility, which includes a colonic machine, imported from Arizona in the U.S. So unlike some other detox resorts, no, you don’t have to do your own colonic. There is a team of two ladies who accompany you for the experience and do all the ‘tough’ stuff. They’re surprisingly charming to talk to, and good at the stomach massage during the process. The machine makes it easier than doing it yourself, but I did find that there is something odd about doing colonics in the company of others.

Meals at the resort tend towards its main clientele, the fasters and detoxers. There are an abundant set of menu pages for mixed juices, turmeric shots, and the like. Much of the menu is vegan, which if you’re detoxing is welcome. Staff is attentive, but the speed of service is relaxed.

If you’re going to Ubud Sari for a detox, I’d rate it as a more relaxed style of fasting. They have a doctor on call who checks you before starting, but that’s really the only inclination towards rigor. The resort does not get in touch with you about what you should do in advance of fasting and has no post-fasting routine. If you’re there and you want to eat while fasting, that’s not an issue. The actual practice is just a juice fast with some supplements and psyllium husk caplets. Ubud Sari does not use bentonite clay as do some other detox resorts. This said, if you’re there for weight loss, I found the routine a lot easier than some other places I’ve been, and I lost more or less the same amount. So less pain for the same gain. On the front of detox expertise, this seems to have gone mostly with the founder. The Balinese who staff Ubud Sari understand what the routine is, but appears to know little more than the rote basics about what to do. There’s no literature on site about fasting and the detox experience that I could find, and my sense was that the staff members really don’t know much either.

One thing to be sensitive to is that if you’re going to Ubud Sari for a fasting detox on a several day package, all the rooms are treated the same. The rustic wooden accommodation on the older side (room numbers in the single digits) has bed nets, and you need them. You’re pretty ‘close to nature.’ There are some rooms on this side that have outdoor bathrooms that got mixed reviews from my fellow travelers, especially on rainy days. Rooms 21-23 are in on the new side under the yoga area and next to the pool, made of breeze blocks and stone. Rooms 24-29 are part of a hallway addition that has a much more ‘dorm’ feel than the others. Had I had to stay in one of these, I would have been quite disappointed.

Overall, Ubud Sari was a positive experience. I met really wonderful people there, which may have been just good luck. The facilities worked for what I wanted, and that was fine. I would go back again at some point in the future if Bali detox beckons again, and hopefully the spa facility may have enjoyed an upgrade.

Room Tip: Rooms 24-29 are dorm style, and not very nice. They also have loud geckos.
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled solo
4  Thank PaisleyTie40
Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

Lovely hotel, amazing healthy food and juices, great service , in the jungle so it has amazing view from the room, pool,and they provide great treatments like reiki, yoga etc ..
The room was very clean . The hotel is in ubud so has around a lot of shops, restaurants, Starbucks etc..
Overall I do recommend it .

Stayed: January 2018
Reviewed 5 January 2018 via mobile

This is my second time at the resort and I find it a wonderful sanctuary to rest and relax and the ground are beautiful and lovingly maintained. The detox program is good value and I found the food / produce to be all really delicious.

A couple of sore points. The Zen villas where I stayed are run down. The air conditioner, mosquito device and shower were faulty abs not workingI without hot water and no pressure. Numerous requests were made and investigated however nothing changed. No apology or anything else offered.

Also children are allowed at this resort. The first night and most of the morning I spent awake due to the children next door. Also a couple of families with kids. Don’t get me wrong I love children but this place advertises itself as a peaceful tranquil resort. And it’s not.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank Vinx28
Reviewed 4 January 2018

I have been to the Ubud the fourth times now. I keep on coming back since the location is fantastic, staff very helpful and the treatment packages are not too pricey and you get a lot in return.

I took the healing week, which is a 7 day programme consisting of massages, colonics, reiki, sauna, detox, etc etc. The list of services and treatments offered is certainly very long and if you decide not to use a treatment or specific session the spa either refunds or offer you another one instead. Some of the massage therapists are great, I can recommend especially Mrs. Malini.

However, an issue that I have already complained about several times is the cleanliness of facilities and rooms. Things even seem to have gotten worse since the founder and owner of the place (a well known Bali gentlemen called Nomad) passed away some years ago. Common bathroom/shower facilities for the sauna and massage treatment facilities are dirty and not regularly cleaned. The bathroom in the colonic treatment room is also dirty though this very place should be the cleanest of all. There also used to be two therapists, now there's only one in the session.

What was most annoying is that the rooms still seem to be infested by fleas. We stayed in one of the nicer Zen cottages in the front part of the resort and had again (same as during previous visits) a lot of flea bites (from the mattresses).

They also added a new building in back, up the small hill to cater for the crowds, including a new pool overlooking rice fields. I hope that some of the returns will be invested in upgrading of the other facilities and into introducing better hygiene and flea-free beds.

Room Tip: We love the Zen cottages in the front part of the property.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Barnskybeat
Reviewed 2 January 2018

I enjoyed the Healing Week in Bali seven-day residential retreat at Ubud Sari Health Resort and I can honestly say it was excellent. The program included cleansing, fasting and a variety of other health activities, guided by two program Leaders who look after you everyday. Any of the nominated activities you are free to modify and/or remove from the program, with the cost then deducted from your overall account at the end of your stay.
The staff are incredible, they check in on you regularly making sure you are having enough water etc, and at the slightest headache they'll have an alkalising shot ready in a moment!
The location of the Resort is such that you're just 5 minutes walk from the main Ubud shopping drag. A few days it's quite hard to get yourself moving, as you're detoxing and naturally pretty low on energy, however it is nice to have the option to walk around when you're feeling up to it. Mind you, some people commented they found that too tempting since you're fasting though I didn't have that issue as the juices, smoothies and soups were incredibly filling, delicious and nourishing.
The resort isn't brand new by any means, however some of the rooms have been renovated and are really beautiful. That said, the grounds and gardens are just gorgeous and I felt the relaxed vibe the resort portrays further enhances the healing experience. There certainly aren't any pretentious feelings about the resort - it is homely, comfortable and just perfect.
There are two pools, I did not swim at the main pool up by the yoga room as I was lucky the smaller pool was right near my room. Both pools have ample poolside lounges and towels for guest use.
Treatments wise, I elected to not have the colonic cleansing however massage wise I thoroughly enjoyed all with particular note on the deep tissue and Balinese healing massage.
The accommodation is varied - there are zen cabins and riverside/deluxe rooms. I enjoyed a deluxe room which was upstairs, gorgeous views of nearby gardens and trees and was simple, huge yet perfect. There was a large bed with full mosquito net, a lounge and table area, large bathroom (shower water pressure wasn't brilliant but I managed) and a separate dressing room with ample storage for bags and personal items.
There are personal safes available for guests in the lobby behind reception, which is monitored by security camera 24/7.
Laundry is done for you - you simple put your clothes in the basket and they magically appear back that afternoon stunningly clean and pressed (including underwear)!
At the end of the week I felt I was truly refreshed, re-energized and relaxed. I thoroughly enjoyed the week and was actually sad to leave the beautiful grounds and staff for my next stop in Bali (Kuta).
Since my retreat, I have since returned not for accommodation but for massage treatments.
I look forward to returning for another retreat, hopefully, in 2018. And without hesitation, I would recommend Ubud Sari Health Resort to others.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo