“I really wanted to give 5 stars”

The Ubud Village Resort & Spa
Ranked #30 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 11 March 2012

I really wanted to give the Resort 5 stars, how ever to the detriment of the staff the Managers/Owners have the the whole team down

There are a lot of plus sides to the resort. It looks wonderful from a "far away: view. The pool looks magnificent, the dining areas are great, the entrance is inviting, and the views over the rice fields from the restaurant were all that I expected and the staff are courteous nearly to a fault. The hourly shuttle was a plus although it was a nice 1/2hr ish walk into the centre of Ubud which we preferred to do

However when you looks closer the resort is getting quite run down, and I cannot understand why they are building new rooms before performing much needed maintenance.

Examples
- On the paths they have nice slate reliefs but quite a few of the slates pieces are missing, sometimes they just replaced with concrete sometimes not.
- The bottom of the mozzie nets in my cabana were ripped
- One of the sandstone tiles in my cabana was broken with a big chunk missing
- A piece of decking in my room had been replaced, but with a piece that was a good 5mm thicker so it was a tripping hazard
- The bottom of the fridge outside was mouldy
- There was mouse droppings in the drawers in the outside kitchen
- Numerous lights globes were out
- This is a strange one, the mozzie netting on our bed went all the way around except for an approx 10 cm gap at the head of the bed... hello mozzie bites. Oh the mozzie came in through the toilet where the top of the window is just wooden bars, no glass
- The decking around the mail pool was extremely dangerous, with rotten boards, nails coming up and pieces just missing. i nearly went through the boards a couple of times
- A screw was missing in the support to the back of the sun lounge in my villa
- The Wifi is shocking, dont rely on using it in your room, you need to go to the main entrance.

The biggest single disappointment was our view. Was it nice, yes extremely but in the end we paid for a rice field view and and you can see from my picture "view from my pool" I couldn't see any rice field, which is why I spent an extra $100 per night, all I could see was the main pool area.

My wife and I had a big discussion on whether we would come back, it started with a definately, we had a wonderful time the resort is a nice walking distance out from Ubud, our rooms were comfortable but it came around to if we could find something similar at the same or similar price with nice reviews from Trip Advisor then no, but if we couldn't the yes we would come back. After looking at the reviews of other hotels, I think my answer might be No, i thinkwe can find a nice a view with as nice staff, just not so run down

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ironian
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The Ubud Village Resort & Spa

Reviewed 19 February 2012

This resort is in a beautiful setting. My daughter and I had a bad start. First room - a/c not working well . We encountered another problem in room 2 which was very well resolved by management and we moved to a third room. It was well appointed, pool wonderful....However, the resort overall seemed a little tired and in need of love and attention to detail.
it was convenient having the golf buggy to be driven back to our rooms at night as it can seem dark and quiet.
All the staff lovely, and special thanks to the General Manager.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank annerasmussen2003
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Well, we ve been in Ubud village Resort in ocotober 2011, everything was very nice, the place is like heaven, clean, quiet, the staff very amiable, it s really like heaven, I wish I have an apartmant like those at home. The restaurant, pool, garden, ricefield makes you feel extaordinary. Really one of the best place, I recommend it truly.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2012

At the time of our visit the hotel was undergoing renovations which in the short term caused some problems but overall the stay at the hotel was quite enjoyable. The room was a bit basic but adequate and the pristine swimming pool immediately outside the room was a bonus. The opening, about two metres long and 30 centimetres high at the top of the bathroom wall, was bit disconcerting as we envisaged it not only providing access for mosquitoes and other flying insects (even birds) not to mention some four-legged creatures. Breakfast was quite good and any shortcomings overall were more than offset by a very cheerful and pleasant staff. The hotel was very well located in central Ubud and provided all we needed for a short stay.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank williamphillipsa
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I booked this resort on the strength of the recommendations here. Whilst the property and location has tremendous potential am afraid that its beginning to show its age. It was very warm the day we checked into the resort (27th Jan 2012) and to our dismay we found the air conditioners in the room to be rather ineffective to cool a villa as large as the ones the resort provides. Don't get me wrong the villas are huge and spacious and comfortable, however just the 1 aircon for the entire unit is plainly insufficient. While they were on maximum throttle, they were barely wheezing out cool (not cold) air. To the resorts benefit, they provided 2 portable a/c units our the 2 villas we booked. The villas were otherwise well appointed. One other suggestion is that they should have built in lights for the wardrobes, as it gets pretty dark at night and you can't see what you are packing. Its an annoyance. All self-styled 5 star resorts have this, even the ones on Lombok, so why not the Ubud village resort and spa.

The main pool looks lovely in the photos of the resort and while its a nice size, the surrounding deck area needs a good sprucing up. The wooden deck was rotten in some areas with dangerous rusty nails sticking out. This is a real problem considering people go around barefoot at the pool. Another thing was that the deck chair cushions were often splattered with bird droppings and crawling with ants. I have stayed in Ubud before and know that wildlife is an accepted part of the stay there but the sheer ant infestation near the main pool is unacceptable as they are all over the deck chairs and the staff don't seem to clean the droppings and clear the ants frequently enough. There also seems to be a lack of staff servicing the pool area as its so difficult to order a drink or a snack as there is no one attending the pool bar. I had just come from the Jimbaran Puri and there was no such problem there. However I would say the service here is very good once you are able to catch the attention of staff.

I would not recommend this resort until it has gone through a renovation and the facilities are improved. its a shame really as the resort has a wonderful location and the scenary is wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family