“Careful if with small children”

The Payogan Villa Resort & Spa
Ranked #90 of 195 Hotels in Ubud
Sydney
“Careful if with small children”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

This is a beautiful hotel in a lovely setting with extremely helpful staff. Our stay did not start on exactly the right foot as we expected our "two bedroom pool villa" to have two interconnected rooms - beware as they are not. They are a duplex style meaning the kids bedroom was going to be outside the main entrance and up a stairway to a separate keyed entrance. For us with 2 small children this would not work as we not hear our 18month old if he waked in the middle of the night as well as other security fears. The staff were very attentive to our concerns and this was clearly an owner issue but we felt the owners should not be allowed to rent this accommodation out if they were aware of the ages of our children (which they obviously were as we had a cot made up in the master bedroom - which meant leaving a 4 yr old alone which is also not acceptable in our opinion).

The staff and manager - ms henny - was great and we made do by using the separate dining room in our duplex as a second bedroom. While not ideal as we had to walk through this bit to get to the pool or out the front door, there were curtains on all sides that at least made privacy ok. And staff made up for the change with free dinner or spa treatments on each day of our stay.

A lovely place with great views, good breakfast, not too far from Ubud (50k and about 10 mins) just be aware if traveling with small children. By the way not all duplexes were like ours so may not be a solution for everyone. We were in room 203.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Selenial
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Geraldton, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

our very first visit to Bali and our first 4 nights we stayed at the Payogan. We had a one bedroom valley view pool villa. The villa was spotless, cleaning was done daily while we were having breakfast never saw them in the room. Privacy was respected while on our stay. Food was devine, we had room service 3 nights and just wonderful. Views over the valley we beautiful, outside bathroom captured views in all their splendid. We wish we stayed there the whole time now. Staff were friendly and chatty. JUst a wonderful experience.

Room Tip: go for the Valley View pool Villas, you wont be disapointed
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Leonie B
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

Just returned from 6 nights in Ubud staying at the Payogan and my wife and I were thrilled with the hotel's location, appearance and spectacular views and upkeep. Our 1 bedroom pool villa was outstanding and staff were extremely friendly and courteous. A wonderful stay...

• Stayed January 2012
Perth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

I defiantly enjoyed this hotel, but don't think I will be back. When I read the past reviews I thought people were just whinging, but now I can see where they are coming from. I went with my family, but booked a separate garden room for myself. My family booked the duplex villa with private pool and that was very relaxing with a great view. Unfortunately the garden villas are located right next to a surrounding village (as in share the same wall) and this does tend to send some bad animal smells over every now and again. My worst experience was with the rooster(s)that would start cock a doodle doing from 4am right through to 2pm, non stop! I was also too scared to sleep in the room alone as my husband couldn't make it so I made my mum abandon my dad and come sleep with me for the 4 nights we were there. I think that if you are wanting to stay here you should book a private pool villa as they are away from the village wall and have a great view. yes it is old looking, but that's what ubud is like and it gives the place character. For those sick of walking through massive hotels to get to and from the lobby, they have a free golf buggy that can pick you u and drop you off. I wouldn't stay here again, but I may recommend it to friends as long as they booked the right room. Service is great.

• Stayed December 2011
4 Thank mbtravelPerth
Jakarta, Indonesia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2011

We were staying for 3 nights, came during quiet season. We found it a bit difficult to find it, we drove a rent-car from Denpasar, and had to pass Ubud town, while actually we didn't have to.
Staffs were very nice and friendly, we received all the services we requested.
Foods are not recommended. If you can, just try to dine in Ubud town since they have numerous cheap and nice foods around (a small restaurant next to Bintang grocery market is cool, can't remember its name though).
I agree this place is a bit overpriced, I stayed in one of the villa with private pool. The room is nice, everything works fine. I take visits from local insects as a perfectly normal thing to happen in this kind of location.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple