“Very unique”

Ranked #90 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Melbourne, Australia
“Very unique”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

We had a lovely time at this hotel.

By far, it's best feature, were the cheeky monkeys that came to visit every so often. I found myself constantly looking out for them ... They provided so much entertainment!

We had a deluxe room which was one of the best rooms I have stayed in. very spacious and beautiful. The location is amazing. Right next to the forest. Felt very relaxing.

The hotel grounds are lovely and the pools are very nice.

Down sides were... No wifi in your room, very few TV channels and the food was truly terrible. We didn't bother waking up for breakfast cause everything was cold, stale and bland. Room service food was bad too.

We went as a young couple and felt a little out of place as the hotel was full of people aged 50+ but overall I would definitely recommend it... Unless you love food.

Room Tip: Get the deluxe room!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Brendan C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 4 nights mid March 2012 and absolutely loved our stay at this hotel and in Ubud and would definately return. This hotel has everything a traveller could want, perfect central location, amazing service even if you don't expect to be waited on hand and foot, clean, stylish and comfortable rooms with views over the rice paddies at the back of the hotel and a great pool area as well for those wanting to catch a few rays! We booked on Agoda as that is seriously the only way to book hotels unless you like to set light to your wallet and watch it burn. We asked to see the available rooms on arrival, and negotiated a small fee to upgrade to their best room which we loved and didnt want to leave after the 4 days. The hotel staff would ask us as we came past reception if there was anything they could do for us, they recommended an amazing cooking class and even called up and booked for us, then gave us a wake up call in the morning and packed us a small takeaway breakfast each which was very cute and thoughtful. The hotel staff also sang me happy birthday at breakfast on my actual birthday and presented me with a cake which was adorable! There are also resident (and cheeky) monkeys who loiter around at breakfast and one daring monkey jumped up on our table and put his hands in my cake, put cream on his face, stared straight at us with his cream faced grin before taking off just as quickly - I've never laughed so much! What a great experience! Definately recommend Champlung Sari to all travellers!

Room Tip: Book on Agoda! Travel agents are a waste of time and money. I am not sure what kind of room we actua...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
blackpool
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Lovely hotel, good sized lobby area and two great pools.
On arrival we were shown to our room which was quite out of the way, sadly it was full of mossies! I went around a swatted over half a dozen before running a shower, the water did not drain away properly so we called reception and asked politely to change rooms. (This is a first for us - we are not complainers)

The next room we were given was obviously an upgraded room (no.309) it was much larger and had a canopy bed, which after the run in with all the mosquitos previously was very welcomed! It was also better located and just near the pool.

The pool is lovely and the setting of this hotel is really beautiful.

Breakfast as you can read from all reviews is full of monkeys - we enjoyed watching this, it was fun and entertaining.

Location of this hotel is excellent, it is at the bottom of Monkey Forrest Road which seems to be one of the main tourist roads in ubud, it is full of shops, warungs, bars etc and the market is at the top of the (very long) street.

Wifi- shame you cannot have this in your room, however no problems getting a good connection in reception and pool area.

Tips;
lovely place to eat in gorgeous setting is cafe lotus on champung st? and also murnies (ground floor is best view) on same street but a lot further down the road, bridges is another place which is highly recommended on trip - pricier- however as munies is next door you are really having the same beautiful setting at cheaper prices.
monkey forest is fun way to spend half hour or so and just next door.
some great live music on in the bars at night time.

enjoy
pm if any questions etc.
sarah

Room Tip: if you are not happy with room, just politely ask to change as we did!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sarahnphil
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We stayed at this very nice hotel in Ubud recently. Lovely open lobby and pool area. Good for using your laptop if you can't get good reception in your room. We upgraded to a room closer to the main area of the hotel. It had an enclosed patio. Very large bathroom with an unusual floor. Champlung Sari is next to the Monkey Sanctuary so sometimes the monkeys come over to see what's for breakfast. Staff is adept in chasing them off. Nice if standard breakfast buffet. The hotel is nicely set back from the busy Monkey Forest Road so it's quiet. The shops and restaurants are right outside, but it was nice to go back to this oasis in the bustle of Ubud. Helpful front desk staff too.

Room Tip: The garden rooms are far from the main desk and uninspired. Get an upgrade.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Granville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 February 2012

I had booked a deluxe room primarily because I wanted the canopy bed. From the pics on line, I didn't notice a discernible difference amongst the rooms aside from that. I was taken to a room and was disappointed to see no canopy, but I asked to be moved and they were able to do so. Also, the clerk at check in asked if I would be interested in a bike tour the following morning and in fact I was. A friend had stayed at this hotel just a few weeks prior and recommended the tour. He said he would book it, but when I arrived the next morning I learned after waiting 45 minutes he never did so. When I saw him later that evening he didn't apologize, even though I'm confident the morning clerk mentioned the faux paux to him. I should mention he error was fortuitous, as I had the best day my first day there. Went to a wonderful yoga class at yoga barn (highly recommend), rafting in the afternoon, then had a much needed foot massage and manicure at Venezia Spa, a short walk away. Took the bike tour the following day, and I was underwhelmed.

The other reviewers are right about the monkeys! They are hysterical and add quite a lot to the overall experience at this hotel. I should also mention that I was traveling alone, and the convenient location was a plus. I would return to this hotel in the future with my husband, as I know he would LOVE the monkeys freely roaming about as well.

Room Tip: If you don't care about the canopy, go for a standard room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo