“Exotic real "royal's-villlage" of Indonesia. Superbly beautiful !!”

The Mansion Resort Hotel & Spa
Ranked #62 of 198 Hotels in Ubud
Jakarta
“Exotic real "royal's-villlage" of Indonesia. Superbly beautiful !!”
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I definitely regret for only staying 1 night here. I was impressed as they upgraded us from Deluxe Room to Residence Villa with the same name as mine !!! Thank you !! They also arranged us a flower bath + bed with rose petals. The villa has 2 bedrooms (we paid less that $100 which is a very very great value). Maybe it's quite dark at night, but for us, it is exotic. If you want an experience living in a real "royal-palace-village" of Indonesia, it suits you well.

We had breakfast provided by the hotel @Indochine, we choose to sit next to cliff-side swimming pool, it was great scenery and nothing we can complain about the food. They provide proper selection of western menu.

The mansion area was big and beautiful. I always love something traditional and this place was the answer. There are enormous unique crafts, and they display some used branded bags (there even a blue birkin !) that you can buy. The atmosphere was quite, relaxing, and you can take a walk on its big garden that adjacent to BaliWood garden. The staffs are friendly, like we're on our grandma's home, not a hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SrikandiSekar
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Reviewed 7 July 2012

I spent 9 days at The Mansion with a friend on a special deal for USD $120 per night. The hotel is self-rated as 5-star, but as other writers have mentioned a more accurate rating for Bali would be 3-3.5 star. Still, for the room rate we paid it was very good value.

We had a two bedroom Frangipani residence (one double and one single bed). There was a swimming pool just outside the residence and most days when I used it I was the only one there. The rate included a breakfast selection of juice, fruit, pastries, eggs and some local cooked dishes. It's not the usual expansive hotel buffet, but it was tasty and sufficient for us.

The staff were a highlight of the hotel and everyone was very friendly and helpful. When I had a problem with the cleanliness of my room this was quickly resolved, though it was the sort of problem that shouldn't have happened at all. I get the impression that The Mansion was once a very grand hotel - possibly 5 star in its day - but that the owners have let general maintenance and management of the property slip. I hope this is being addressed as The Mansion has a lot of potential. If I were in charge the first thing I'd do is give it a really good spring-clean throughout, pull down any fittings that were looking a bit tired and worn, and remove the unnecessary bric-a-brac which is detracting from some really lovely pieces in their collection.

The Mansion grew on me the longer I stayed there and it has a lot of things going for it for the price. Because I know what else is available in accommodation in Ubud I probably wouldn't return to The Mansion, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy my stay. Apart from the room cleanliness issue I'd recommend The Mansion, as long as you are only expecting a 3 star property.

Room Tip: If you book a two bedroom residence you need to know that only one of the bedrooms has a double bed...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Chelsea_Girl33
Reviewed 6 July 2012

Really loved this hotel. Big enough to provide everything you require but small enough to feel special, quiet and relaxed. Beautiful colonial style building (which is much younger than you think) with lovely gardens in extensive rooms, 3 pools, 2 spa/massage areas and plenty of areas to just sit and relax, and maybe enjoy a quiet drink or two.
The rooms are big and clean with strong, hot showers. Our only minor complaint is that like so many hotels the rooms have poor lighting, especially if you just want to sit and read, and no comfortable chairs in the room?
Breakfast was delightful sitting out by the sunrise pool, we managed to nab the gazebo most days, and although the selection is huge it was all fresh and offered all we needed/wanted in a delightful spot with great views. Dinner is served in the same area and is well worth staying in for. We dined in the hotel one night and we had a beautiful, well priced, meal that we all really enjoyed. All the while being very well looked after - a beautiful night!
Staff are extremely friendly and all try to be helpful.
The Mansion is a great place to stay and I am looking forward to my next visit

Room Tip: Al the rooms we saw were great, but if you can the rooms near or in the Mansion seem to be bit bette...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I got a last minute deal of 65AUD per night including breakfast and was given a free upgrade from deluxe room to a small private villa. For the price paid this was an excellent stay! The hotel is very unique with lots of art and it's grand furnishings, with very pretty relaxing gardens and pool spaces, however it is quite run down when you look closely. Dirty, old and worn out towels. Bed linen is def not 5 star, and slightly grey. Pool area seating is also a little dirty and some chairs in the restaurant are also rather worn. The shuttle service into Ubud centre is brilliant, free and very accommodating. Hotel spa is vey pricey, can get much cheaper in Ubud. Our outdoor bathing area was very pretty although just needed some maintenance, cracks in the wall and a bit of mould around walls. Breakfast was ok, but not brilliant. The hotel has many places of relaxing and nature and art and grandeur to explore. For the price I paid this was truly an excellent stay. Not sure I would come back, for a more expensive price.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank S B
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Having read some of these reviews, you can almost pick the personality from them! I stayed by myself at the Mansions to get some relaxation after a friend's wedding in Legian, and loved it. Walking into the main lobby with huge curved grand staircases, art exhibits everywhere and slightly faded opulence made me think I had picked the right place. The gardens were beautiful and not over manicured. I had a suite room for a bargain of $250 a night, with a living area and daybed, leading to a huge bedroom with four poster bed, and into the very large marble bathroom. Everything was yes, perhaps not brand new, but clearly good faded quality and I loved the colour schemes and timber blinds. I ate breakfast every morning and dinner by myself twice, and found the service to be a little over the top but still very friendly, which is what you want when dining alone. The food was adequate, leaning to very good at times, but the menu can do with some improvement. However the room service was good and the staff overall very friendly and willing to help in any way. The massage and wrap was very expensive for the quality of it - the masseuse seemed very disinterested and not well trained - however, there are plenty of spas you can visit for most of the day for the same price that are much better, including Bali Botanica in Ubud.
Overall I would recommend the stay; I love the faded grandeur and the comfort of the rooms, the quirky gardens and pool, and food and service. If you want perfection and modern 5 star - go elsehwere, if you want to be interested in your surroundings of lush greenery and a mix of modern and local art - the Mansions is the place for you. I will definitely be going back one day.

Stayed November 2011, travelled solo