“Watch your fruit”

Ranked #4 of 128 things to do in Ubud
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: In this unusual place of worship, mischievous simians throng among sacred temples and lush greenery.
Buddina, Australia
32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Watch your fruit”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Buy fruit for the monkeys at your own peril. They will have them off you before you even get in the gates. Its good fun watching the tourists having the fruit stolen from them as soon as they have paid for it!

Visited April 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow

• Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Be sensible and you will enjoy the experience”
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Apart from tourists teasing the monkeys, I found Monkey Forest a nice walk. One day the monkeys were swimming and were quite hilarious dive-bombing each other. Don't forget to look at the art gallery while you are there.

New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Proceed With Caution”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The long and short of this review is these are cute little guys but they'l turn on you in an instant so just be careful!

Everyone will want something different out of their trip to the monkey forest so decide what you want and go for it. If you interested in getting pictures with the monkeys climbing on you then buy some bananas and carry a water bottle, it will attract them instantly! But just know that these area very smart wild animals so their behavior is unpredictable and they will bite you.

If you don't want them to bother you and just want a few pictures (like I did) just take off all jewelry and sunglasses and keep you hands where they can see them! For the most part they left me alone, but these little rascals are so smart that when I put my hand in my bag to get my camera, they would approach me. I asked my guide why they do that, he said "because they think you're going to pull out food and they want to get to you before the others." See what I mean smart!

In the spirit of planet of the apes please respect that these aren't dumb animals and they will do what's necessary to get what they want from you.

Overall it was a cool experience, more of a check the box activity because everyone said I HAD to go if I was in Ubud. I'm an animal lover and these guys were super cute (especially the babies), but for some reason being there made me uncomfortable, if they decided to revolt we'd be in trouble!!

Visited May 2012
Doha, Qatar
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great fun”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

The monkeys were great fun, not aggressive. We were advised not to buy food, so we were not jumped all over. We just sat with them and some of them came and sat on my lap and played with my hair. Great to see all the monkeys free and happy in their own environment and not in a cage, loved it!!

Bangkok, Thailand
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Nice forest coin in the center of Ubud”
Reviewed 5 May 2012

We really didn't expect to find such great forest in a place so developped in tourism like the center of Ubud. We found really amazing that they still have a place where monkeys can be around without problems and still feel that the tourism haven't steal all the nature for them. Is really great. A really nice walking experience and touch with nature.