“Love this place”

Hotel Tjampuhan & Spa
Ranked #65 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Not the place to go if you have mobility issues or are adverse to climbing stairs as there are many. That aside, this place is lovely, set in the side of a mountain overlooking a valley. Basic, but lovely rooms with authentic Balinese doors.

We had 3 rooms booked out and two of our party requested to move due to the noise from the street. This was absolutely no hassle. We were moved to the bottom of the hotel away from all the noise!

All rooms had fans and air conds, but only some have a fridge.

Depending what you want out of your hotel... I think this was perfect. We weren't interested in TV or anything like that, we just wanted a nice and comfortable room to collapse in between outings.

The room service was very affordable and delicious.

The breakfast was very good and the staff always very happy.

I had a few issues with wifi internet but they had 2 public computers which were free to be used.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Rhee B
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 April 2012

stayed last week in this hotel with my partner, we had 4 nights and I can recomended to anyone, from honeymooners to families (as long as you dont mind having no tv on room) is in a very tropical place, you are kind of the middle of ubud, a very busy city by the way, but when u get into the hotel tou feel you inmerse ypourself in your own tropical paradise, really beautifull gardens, and a very good service, people are super friemdly and were extremely helpfull, even when my partner got sick they organize breakfast in the room and asked me what he would like, no problem, we had a lot of room service, great and we even got late check up, with a fee of course but they were very flexible, the only thing the spa is really good, but a bit overprice and since i got my massage in the evening, they were a lot of mosquitos, so avoid that hours. xoxoxox

Room Tip: we had the raja rooms and they are very big with big balconies
1  Thank Catherine W
Reviewed 27 April 2012

On first impressions, this hotel looks lovely, but, then you step inside.
Amenities. VERY basic. No TV. No coffee making facilities in room. (When asked about this, I was told "We no do that here."). No mini bar.
Staff. The women seemed angry about something the whole time. They should learn how to smile. The men were friendly enough, but had an "Oh, its all too much bother attitude".
Food. RUBBISH. Thats all I can say about it. Stale, and not fresh bread and cereals.
Cleanliness. Really not good. When I asked for a teaspoon to stir my morning mud, sorry, coffee, I was given a used one from another guests saucer. Found LONG hair in the jam. Not good.
Do not recommend this place for anyone with any sort of infirmity. there are HUNDREDS of steps to anywhere you want to go in the hotel.

Room Tip: They have a sister hotel in Ubud, That may be better.
Reviewed 24 April 2012

If you only like a rubber stamp hotel room and resort as found anywhere in the world this is not for you. If you want a completely different experience to the norm you should try this. Whilst right on the main road, once inside the resort you are in a jungle/rainforest and the outside world is forgotten. Rooms are of a traditional type with bamboo plaited ceilings, ceiling fan and air-conditioning. Whilst our room did not have a fridge, a phone call resulted in one being delivered promptly. Large comfortable bed and a fabulous balcony with a view over the forested valley made for a relaxing holiday. Two guest rooms are contained within each thatched cottage and sound proofing could be a problem depending on your neighbours although I don't feel this type of resort would generally attract the rowdy, partying types. Bathrooms are small but adequate. Grounds are fabulously vegetated and the main pool, whilst small by resort standards was refreshing and largely under-utilised. Staff were pleasant and obliging, particularly the unfortunate ones who had to carry our 20kg suitcases on their shoulders a long way up many stairs to our room. Breakfast services were a little slow in supply and setting of tables however staff responded well when asked. A quirky, wonderful experience we will forever remember.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Woolly-Bully63
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Dear Mr. Gusti Dwipayana,

Tonight, my friend and I had a massage at 7:00 p.m. in the Tjampuhan Spa. It was by far the worst experience I have had in a spa ever. I don't mean in Bali, where all spas are superior. The Tjmapuhan Spa is really a disaster. Let me explain:

I was asked to come 15 minutes early for our appointment. When we arrived, the very courteous attendant at the front desk took my credit card and just told us to walk around the Spa. I expected to be asked to seat and relax while having a tea or a glass of water, but OK, I figured that might come later. Instead, another staff member asked us to wait by a massage cabin with two massage tables. There were no sits there so we sat on the floor, assuming we were going to have the massage there. Then, another woman came and took us to a cabin in the opposite side of the compound. There, we were told to undress but leave our underwear on. In absolutely every Spa I attended in Ubud, the normal procedure is that they give you a disposable underwear but they do not ask you to keep yours on. Next, two women came and asked us to lay face down. The head rests were incredibly low and hurt my neck, so I asked them to lift them. Apparently that was not possible, so they brought a towel to lift our heads. Then the so called massage started. They spread on my body a thick oil that smelled like rancid coconut oil, and the "masseuse" started to stroke the side of my trunk repeating the same upward movement over my hip bone so many times that the muscle started to be damaged against the bone. I asked her to stop. She had worked only on the half of my back that was close to her, not on the whole back. Then she moved to the other side of the table and started with the same bad movement. I turned my face to look at her to see if she would get the message that it was not working but apparently she did not comprehend. Then, still facing down, she proceeded to work on my arms!!! I have never had anybody massage my arms while facing down. Arms bend to the front, not the back, so the logic time to massage the arms is when you are facing up not down. To add insult to injury, she proceeded to twist my fingers backwards, rather than pulling from them. At this point I was about to leave, and I would have done it except that I did not want to cause a scene in front of my companion.

The front side of my body was massaged with equal artlessness, including smearing my face and my air with the rancid oil. At that moment, the clock struck 8:00 p.m. so the massage was considered finish. We did not get even a couple of minutes to rest. They told us it was done and we had to get up. I asked to take a shower and they told me, with a smile, that there was no shower. I replied, with a smile, that I was not going to dress up with my body covered in oil. They told me I could use the bathtub showering device. I asked for soap and, again with a smile, they told me there was no soap. I asked her to go and get one. She came back with a bottle of shampoo with which I showered.

When I went by the front desk, the graceful receptionist asked how it all went. I told her it was bad and wanted your email. She was very reluctant to give it to me, but finally she brought it up while I was having dinner.

In sum: The Tjampuhan Hotel Spa has a privileged location next to the river with natural noise of water and crickets. The setting could be fantastic to create a wonderful experience. Instead, this was an awful one that I will try very hard to forget.

Room Tip: I did not stay in the hotel. I just went to the Spa and it was absolutely terrible.
2  Thank carballodieguez