“Home away from Home”
Review of Okawati Hotel

Okawati Hotel
Ranked #114 of 199 Hotels in Ubud
Reviewed 7 July 2012

This hotel exceeded all expectations especially for the price that we paid. My girlfriend and I were pampered and treated like royalty from the moment we walked in the door. The food in the restaurant is also amazing.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Okawati Hotel

Reviewed 29 June 2012

This is one of the first 'hotels' in Ubud. Ibu Oka is a wonderful and beautiful host. She and her staff bend over backwards to help the guests. It's located in the center of Ubud, off Monkey Forest Rd., and very close to all the places you will want to go. BUT it is back from the noisy road and very quiet. The cafe and the pool are both very nice. The rooms are beautiful Balinese style architecture so you feel so Balinese when you are there.

2  Thank BaliBruce
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Can't say enough good things about this place. Beautiful rooms with private verandahs where your breakfast is served each morning. Nice view of a rice paddy with a great little swimming pool as well. Only complaint is that the rooms need thicker curtains at night - the light from the stairway shines right on the bed - but the great things about this place cancel out this one small issue a thousand times over.

It rained for an entire day while I was here and I didn't mind - just whiled away the hours on the verandah with a few books and my laptop. Oka Wati herself is frequently at reception and is a lovely woman with a lot of knowledge about the area. Monkey Forest Road is a one-minute walk away. Highly, highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2012

If you want a nicer-type place in a prime location, OkaWati is for you. The super nice places in Ubud tend to be outside of town. The ones in town are mostly home stays. There are a few nicer places on Monkey Forest Road, such as Cinta. Cinta's rooms go for $120USD/night. OkaWati is better located closer to Ubud Market, and it is around $55/night.

What you get at OkaWati is aircon room, beautifully furnished. Nice spacious room, very clean. Neat patios. Clean pool. Good, friendly service. Pretty good breakfast.

It is a bit quirky, but that's what happens when you get into budget-concious travel. For example, I think we had 5 minutes of hot water to share. We made it work, no big deal. A BIG plus, is we had great FREE WIFI in our rooms. Also, there are these wonderful leather loungers. Finally, you won't be bothered by hawkers and hassles staying at OkaWati. It's tucked just far enough back to be manageable. Just don't let the late night balinese music get to you--it's blocks away and there's nothing OkaWati can do about it. I doubt anyone on the market end of Monkey Forest can!

PS--scooter rental was crazy cheap. $5usd/day. Have fun!

Room Tip: If you have luggage, the upstairs room might be a pain for you.
1  Thank DallasFlysolofemme
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Okawat's is located in a central part of Ubud. Close to the soccer field, you will be walking most of the time in this smallish artisan town, and it is easy to get back "home" when you ask directions to the soccer field! I was a woman traveling alone, and felt safe and "looked out for" by the staff. For example, one night I was out late at a nearby Internet cafe. When I returned, Okawati herself was waiting at the gate for me! "I worry you get lost!" she said to me in broken English.

I had the upstairs room overlooking the pool. The bed was VERY firm, as I have found most beds are in the more simple and quaint homestays in Bali.The carved and painted shutters, doors, and furniture are authentic Bali. The breakfast was fruit and a simple egg type sandwich. With the ginger tea, it was plenty. One morning I went for a sunrise walk in the nearby rice fields. It ended up being longer than planned, as I happened upon a secluded spa, and proceeded to get a soak and foot massage! When I returned at almost noon, the staff asked if I wanted breakfast. From then on, I told them my plans, and the brought me breakfast when I asked.

The pool is cold, but refreshing if it is hot and muggy. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: The room above the pool, the larger one, was great!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo