“VERY CENTRAL”

Ranked #154 of 554 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Sydney, Australia
“VERY CENTRAL”
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I have just returned from a two week holiday travelling around Bali. This is my fourth visit to Ubud and on my last visit I stayed at a beautiful villa but this was far from the shopping and restaurants. I decided that this time I wanted to stay Monkey Forest Road which is the main road full of the hustle and bustle of Ubud life. Most hotels in Monkey Forest Road are quite expensive because of their central location but Inata Hotel seemed quite affordable. I was actually expecting the hotel to be quite old and very noisy but was pleasantly surprised. Rooms are spotless and the staff are very helpful. The balcony outside the room is a good size but does need a higher wall between rooms as not much privacy on the balcony. The view is ok but would expect that in that part of Ubud. Pool is small but very cool. Would definitely stay their again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank sjmaxwell
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Singapore
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Once we cleared customs at the Depansar IInternational Airport, we proceeded to the toll booths at the airport exit to hail a Blue Bird cab to Ubud, as we wanted to find out the cab fare using meter, as opposed to the airport cab service (IDR 195K). I had a feeling that our Blue Bird cab driver took us on a round about trip and we ended up paying IDR185K using his cab's meter.

It was not easy to locate Inata Hotel along Monkey Forest Road, as this road was long and Inata Hotel sits on a real small piece of land, and her exterior is not visible on Monkey Forest Road, except for her green sign board that says "Inata". Even the local Ubud drivers do not seem to know the exact location of Inata Hotel.

This hotel has only 14 rooms, with 7 rooms on each of the floors. The ground floor rooms are called Garden View rooms, whereby the rooms' balconies faces a Rice Fields View rooms, whereby the rooms' balconys faces a small flat strip of rice fields, and not the graduated stepped-rice fields I expected.

There is a small swimming pool that faces the restaurant where we had our daily ala carte breakfast, consisting mostly of Western dishes. I asked for Indonesian fare and was told that I could not have it since I did not inform them about my choice for Indonesia fare the day before. Well, at the reception, the staff did not tell me that I should do that. Having said that, the Western breakfast was rather delicious! Try the delicious banana shake that you are entitled to.

My Rice Fields View room is clean and rather spacious. We love the balcony, especially the 2 arms chairs and the coffee table there! However, whenever we open our balcony doors, insects started flying in. So, most of the time, we closed the doors. Also, the rice fields do not belong to Inata Hotel. So, there will be rice fields workers walking about or riding their motorbikes about the rice fields early in the morning. For privacy, we closed our curtains.

The in-room safety box is small. We could not place our laptop in it. There is a DVD player and 2 DVDs in the room for our viewing pleasure. However, when we played the DVDs, there was no sound. We fiddles with the cables but to no avail.

There are a number of restaurants, minimarts, and a small shopping mall just ourside of Inata Hotel. Circle K convenience stall sells Coca Cola with the cheapest price as compared to the rest of the minimarts. The restaurants along the road from Inata Hotel towards the Monkey Forest Santuary have cheaper menus.

The Tourist Information Centre and Ubud Palace is about 20 minutes from Inata Hotel by foot. Along the way, as in many other parts of Ubud, we were accosted with private car srivers standing/ squatting/ sitting along the road. Cabs are not allowed in Ubud. Once the Blue Bird cab took us from Depansar to Ubud, the driver has to leave Ubud with his cap unoccupied. The way to travel in Ubud is either by walking or to negotiate a price with any of the numerous private car drivers. Do negotiate hard, as with the shop owners.

The Monkey Forets Santuary is about 5-10 minutes from Inata Hotel by foot. Do watch out for the monkey when you visit them. My kid was scratched and bitten by one. With the hlep of the friendly Inata Hotel staff, we called the doctor at Ubud Clinic, which is located some distance to the Tourist Information Centre, for rabis shot, even though the Monkey Forest Santuary ranger informed us that their monkeys are rabis-free.

Overall, Inata Hotel is value for money. It's a small hotel with clean rooms, delicious breakfast, friendly staff, but poor balcony views.

Room Tip: Don't waste your money by choosing the Rice Fields View. The view is just not worth it.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Actuarial_Math
Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2012

This is long but hopefully worth the read!

I've stayed in every kind of accommodation from a $7 hovel complete with cockroaches in Phnom Penh to The Four Seasons in Bangkok, so I like to think my reviews are fair.

The Inata Hotel has its heart in the right place. After staying in numerous places of varying prices and qualities in Ubud over the years, I think I can say that I understand what they’re trying to create here, but unfortunately they are missing the mark in a couple of key places.

First and foremost: if you are going in search of one of those tranquil oases in Ubud with extensive grounds, lush gardens and rice field views that tend to make you forget you’re in a city at all – and there are many of them in Ubud - the Inata is not one of them. They’ve tried to cram an awful lot into a very small space, and while it’s definitely set back from the hubbub of Monkey Forest Road, it’s not quiet. The hotel brushes up against (almost literally) a family compound on the north side, so from the second floor balcony of the hotel you can peer down into their daily life (of course I did!) and you can hear their daily comings and goings from everywhere on the grounds. Most unfortunately they have a very boisterous, loud baby who is prone to frequent meltdowns, as was the case on my arrival when I was trying to take a relaxing dip in the pool. There is no escaping it, even when you are in your room (that screaming baby was also my wakeup call at 6 am on the first morning). On the south side there is a narrow strip of rice field a few meters wide and right next to it, a through-road where pedestrians and motorbikes pass. Beside that are more compounds with families you will also hear. I found all of this to be quite disappointing.

The balconies on the hotel are all situated next to each other with only a short wall separating, so if you’re sitting outside or even when you are in your room, be prepared to listen to the conversation of your neighbours on their balcony.

Another note on location: Yes the hotel is conveniently located in the heart of Monkey Forest Road, but so is every other one of the dozens of hotels lining this street, so as far as I’m concerned they don’t get any extra points for their location.

Now for the next disappointment: The room had that musty air-con smell, all the time. I know this is a constant challenge for hotels throughout Southeast Asia, but for the price they’re charging for a room here, they need a solution and fast. I mentioned it to the reception and they did try to do something I think (maybe a spray), but the smell just kept coming back. I bought a can of room spray and some incense but they were all just band-aid fixes. I woke with a sore throat the first morning that I still have the next day as I am writing this. I’d say this was the single biggest drawback of my stay at the Inata.

Finally, they need to make sure they stay on top of the cleanliness. While the room was very clean and passed my “bare foot test” (is it clean enough that I feel I can walk around in bare feet, or do I need my shower shoes?), they need to get into the corners of the bathroom where mould and mildew are growing. Again, I know these are constant problems in tropical climates, but also again for the price they are charging, they should be rolling up their sleeves and getting their scrub brushes out. This is a new hotel and if they don’t get on top of the mildewy corners fast and stay on top of them, their rating is going to slip even faster and they’ll need to lower their room rates.

Enough complaining! On good notes I can tell you that the rooms are otherwise very clean, attractive and spacious, the balconies are big and lovely, and the hotel staff is absolutely the best I’ve seen in all my stays in Ubud (to the point of being almost over the top at times, but I won’t fault them for that). Both mornings of my stay they were having a staff meeting in the eating area, which I found to be a good sign. They all knew my first name, were extremely pleasant, and kept an eye on my every move and responded to every request. A+.

The breakfast menu was varied and the meals large (they even have an attempt at a BLT, which I found to be charming, if not tasty). I find it odd when reviewers go on too much breakfast quality in Southeast Asia; these are not countries that typically “do” breakfast as we know it so I don’t think one should ever expect much in that department. Stick to a local-style breakfast (rice or noodle soup, nasi bungkus etc) and it will always be good (that being said, their American Breakfast was pretty darned good, and so big I almost couldn’t finish it).

The pool is clean and lovely. The grounds are kept very clean and orderly.

All in all, if this hotel were $50/night I’d say it’s a pretty good deal. At $60 I’d say it’s sort of an ok deal, but at the $70 a night they’re charging on Agoda I’d say keep looking. I simply didn’t have the energy to do my usual door-to-door slog searching for a place upon arrival this time, so I booked ahead on Agoda. But I’d dare say for the money, if you’ve got patience and time you could find a better place for the same money (or as good a place for cheaper). It’s been a couple of years but if my memory serves me correctly, the Nyoman Karsa at the foot of MFR was just as good, and quieter, for about $40/night.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank GiliGirlie
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 8 May 2012

This is a small hotel ( only 14 rooms ) in the center of Ubud just a few minutes walk you can easily find all shops, spa and restaurants near by. The price is very competitive. We had a room on second floor with balcony, Simple decoration, clean with the rice field view. The staffs were lovely and always helpful at all time , The breakfast were lovely portions for an individual person served with fresh juices. The pool was the comfortable size to relax with family. I would love to go back again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Thailand
Reviewed 5 May 2012 via mobile

Stayed at Inata Hotel from April 29-May 3, 2012. It was the best hotel selection I had made for the duration of our stay in Bali (I'm writing this review from the Intercontinental Bali) The positives include 1.Location is superb, walking distance to most places of interest in Ubud e.g. monkey forest road, Ubud palace, Ibu Oka Warung and the Ubud Market. 2.Friendly and very attentive staff who are so eager to please. 3.Clean and well maintained surroundings and rooms. 4. Very cheap laundry! 5. Value for money
The only things I found a little bit wanting are the selection of set breakfast, which got boring after 3 days and the restaurant service which took about 30+ minutes on both times that we ate there.
All things considered, I'd rate Inata 4.5/5