“Wonderful in Every Way”
Review of Villa di Abing

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Villa di Abing
Ranked #133 of 571 Speciality Lodging in Ubud
Vancouver, Canada
“Wonderful in Every Way”
Reviewed 8 January 2012

As many have noted, this is a unique and beautiful villa. We also found it very comfortable to live in. It is right in Ubud - just a short walk to the shops and restaurants - yet nature surrounds you.
This villa has so much going for it but what really made it so enjoyable for us was the amazing hospitality of the staff. Of course the Balinese are famous for their hospitality but we thought the staff and the management of the villa here were extra special. We truly felt they just wanted us to be happy. Drivers, scooters and laundry were all arranged for us at such reasonable cost it was apparent that nothing extra was being charged (two bags of laundry for the week cost about $5 US total!). We were inquiring about some large peculiar fruit on one of the surrounding trees and Ilu - the manager - picked us up some delicious white mango from the market to try. Also, on departing, I was given a package of incense as I had inquired what type they were burning in our bath area. These personal touches have created warm memories. Ilu was also great to talk to for insight into Balinese culture. The staff are friendly but discrete and I sense experts in sensing how much privacy is desired. Also loved watching the many, many beautiful offerings and blessings made around the property twice a day (5 just around the pool!). Finally, the value is perhaps unbeatable in "downtown" Ubud. Compare with the price of a midrange two bedroom hotel room on Monkey Forest Road which is really no comparison to this huge spacious beautiful villa.

Room Tip: Loved the pretty overhanging patio from the master suite and the fantastically huge indoor outdoor b...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank masha_d
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 November 2011

If everyone finds out how beautiful Villa di Abing is, it might not be available next time we want to book. Stayed 5 nights, with my husband and two of my girlfriends, using all three rooms. Sad to leave and could have stayed longer.

Agree with all the positive comments here. Just loved it. Loved the friendly staff - thank you Ilu, Made, Putu and Gede! Good breakfasts. Loved the rooms (although our friend who stayed in the Coconut Suite did find the trip down the steps to the bathroom a bit cumbersome at night). Loved the pool. Loved the roosters (always lets me know I'm in Bali). Loved the location. Oh, and did I mention - we loved Villa di Abing?!?

The stairs to the pool (and our room) just means we can have dessert, doesn't it?

It's not far to walk along Jl Jembawan up to Jl Raya Ubud, with Bali Buddha restaurant (great pizza and organic food) on the corner, and other restaurants including Nomad, not far along the road. Alternatively, a walk through two lane ways will bring you to the shops and restaurants on Jl Hanoman and Jl Dewit Sita. From there you can stroll to Monkey Forest Road. So many restaurants, so little time!!

The packs of dogs can be a little intimidating at night, but they really just bark and make a lot of noise. None of them growled or snarled, and I think that's when dogs mean business (didn't stop me pushing my husband in front though). So if that was a problem for you, probably best to get transport home. The lane ways are a bit dark in places, but I always carry a small torch in my bag (also handy for some restaurant menus at night), so we were prepared for that. Mosquito spray is also recommended at night, as for anywhere in Bali.

SangSpa is next door to the villa, and they do a great massage in a very pleasant environment (around Rp120,000 from memory). There's also a few other little massage spas along the road with less salubrious rooms, but we tried one and they did a great massage for Rp60,000.

Only improvement would be either extra sun beds, some triangular pillows or a mattress that could be put in the bale for lounging. Also, the security guard, Gede was away for a night to attend a wedding and his two very sweet replacements didn't seem to know where to turn the power back on after the switch was tripped to our half of the house, so we had a night without air conditioning or a fan in our room (still managed to sleep). Wonderful Ilu fixed it immediately upon her arrival in the morning.

Gorgeous villa and great value. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Ok firstly a bit of a background of myself. I've been in the international travel industry for 10 years and have seen a lot of hotels/villas around the world. Some of them live unto their hype others are a poor excuse of the accommodation industry.

Villa Di Abing was the best 6 days and 6 nights of my life. This cosy little villa definitely lived up to every little bit of hype that I had read on previous reviews on Trip Advisor and while there are little things that I feel people need to be aware of that may impact their stay, the vast majority of things very easily outweigh these little issues. I will get to these little issues shortly.

Upon arriving to the villa, my wife and I were greeted by Iluh and throughout our entire stay she was very courteous and mindful of the desires that we wanted during our stay at the Villa. Iluh was very helpful in recommending a few restaurants and a spa for a massage and showed us where everything was.

Can I just say my wife and I were in absolute awe of the villa when we were showed around and couldn't believe the shear size of it all.

For the entire stay we both stayed in the main suite as we felt it was the cosiest out of the 3 suites and for the next 6 nights had the best sleeps of our life.

Each morning after one of the best sleeps we were greeted by Made and Petu every morning with a hot cup of coffee, tea or a cold glass of juice along with a plate of fruit and our choice for breakfast from the menu that was provided to us. All the previous reviewers that commented about the Banana Pancake are dead true. These need to be tried to be believed. I now can't wait to get home and try and make these for myself. I'm sure they will be nothing like the ones at the villa, but if it brings me just a little step closer to reliving the memory of our stay I will be happy.

Iluh was also very kind to organise a driver for us during our stay to take us around to some of the sights and I wish we had more time. Arya and Moose were both very helpful, always on time and would do little diversions for us. For our trip to the sights around the area, I provided a list of places where my wife and I wanted to go and she organised with Arya the best of the list that we could do in a day which was very kind. Also both Moose and Arya were very reasonably priced and I tried to get a better price trying to negotiate with one of the many touts offering transport in the area and couldn't get anything better. In fact a lot were more overpriced than anything.

Iluh also offered me the use of the villa's scooter but unfortunately the battery was dead but I'm sure this would be looked at and sorted out in the future if anyone else wanted to use it.

Now to the little issues that may impact some travellers.

1. There are roosters in the area that do crow a lot in the morning and the afternoon. Personally I think it adds to the experience and find that I'm now missing the sounds of the roosters while I'm sitting here in Benoa.

2. There are stairs. All up from the main living area down to the pool and Princess suite there are 26 in total so this may not be the place for little children or for the elderly.

3. Bring mosquito repellant. Unfortunately there are little gaps in the sliding doors of the main suite where bugs can still get through so I would recommend to use the mosquito net that is over each of the beds including the day bed but also bring some mosquito repellant if you have skin that mosquitos love like my own. Also the villa does provide mosquito coils as well if you would like to use them.

4. Ubud does have a lot of stray dogs and some people may not be comfortable walking the streets at night. I know that we did find it a little confronting having a pack of stray dogs near us as we were walking home from dinner and I'm a 6'3 very large guy. This has nothing to do with the villa but people may not like this. If you don't, my advice to you would be to get Moose or Arya to take you to dinner.

All up these were the only issues that I could think of and they are very small.

Iluh, Made, Petu, Arya and Moose. thank you so much for a fantastic time for the last 6 days. We will definitely be back next year and you each have a special place in our hearts. It was very sad that we had to leave but we will be back.

Keep up the good work and see you all soon.

Kind regards,

Matt Alison

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Matt A
Australia
Reviewed 7 November 2011

Having booked over the internet, it is always with some trepidation to arrive late at night for the 1st time in a new City with the whole family. Will we get from the airport to the accomodation OK? Will the accomodation be suitable? Is it to far from Town? etc etc.
I need not have worried as soon as we exited the airport Our driver was waiting with an airconditioned minibus (organized by the Villa) and delivered us safely to the Villa in Ubud (about 1 hour from Denpasar).
The Villa itself is far nicer than pictures on the website suggest, the rooms, fixtures and fittings would put many 5 star hotels to shame. On arrival we were met with cool drinks, refreshments and by the staff - Made & Gede and owner Ketut. They made us feel right at home (even though it was almost midnight) and you felt that nothing was to much trouble.
The villa is impeccably maintained, the staff continually look after you and the surrounds without ever intruding.
The pool is amazing and very welcome (we were staying in Mid January) so after mornings exploring UBUD, the midday heat was often avoided by swimming in or lazying around it.

The food was especially good with 2 fussy eaters (kids) never complaining about the delicious breakfasts prepared each morning. Indeed everyone was incredably impressed with the standard of restaurants throughout Ubud, not one bad meal was encountered and you would rarely pay more than $5 AU per person.
Whilst I did have initial safety concerns with travelling to Bali - these concerns were quickly dispelled in Ubud. The Balinese are a kind and gentle people who are genuily caring and helpful, we never had any problems during the 10days of our stay. By the 2nd week we were quite happy for the kids to go off on there own even at night.
The heavily touristed areas of Kuta, may be different but we avoided them.

So to some up this was an affordable but luxurious holiday and I would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Ground floor room whilst sacrificing some view is more private and a little quieter. Whilst most nig...
  • Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
Alice Springs, Australia
Reviewed 5 November 2011

We spent 5 nights at the villa with our 4 teenaged kids and we all had a wonderful, relaxed time. The villa is a gorgously designed and decorated space , open and spacious with plenty of space for everyone to spread out . The two main bedrooms have huge luxurious bathrooms with deep baths and outdoor showers. It is a quiet haven - excpet for theneighbouring roosters who wake early! The pool is lovley though a little cool when we stayed in October 2011. The stafff are charmimg, friendly and very very helpful - and the Balinese dinners were superb. defnitely better than any restaurant we ate at in Bali.The villa is a short 5-10 minute walk to the main centre in Ubud so the kids could go off by thyemselves any time.
We would return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family