“Best cafe on the beach”
Review of Soul on the Beach

Soul on the Beach
Ranked #17 of 472 Restaurants in Sanur
Price range: US$ 3 - US$ 9
Description: Serving creative dishes and drinks made from high quality ingredients. We're a proud sister restaurant of Soul in a Bowl.
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

This is a great little cafe on the beach at Sanur, friendly staff, great food, nice fresh decor. I am a vegetarian and they had good options for me as well as lots of healthy options for both food and drink. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 24 August 2017 via mobile

What a find! We love eating at Soul in a bowl on busy Main Street at Sanur so when we saw that a new restaurant by the same people had opened on the beach we were excited. We are staying at the Fairmont Sanur and it's about 2.2km north along the walking/bike path. We made it part of our daily exercise routine by with walking or cycling there an back. The service is fantastic but the spot on the beach is what really gets us going back daily. Oh and the food of course. Corn fritters are outstanding as are the eggs in the Moroccan sauce. The juices fresh and beautiful. The cost compared to the bigger resorts is such value for money.. So excited to have such great flavorsome food at this amazing spot. Ps. Great decor, check out the bathrooms!!!

Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

We went there a few times for lunch and dinner during our two week stay. Service was good, a little slow at times when busy but staff were always apologetic of this. Food was brilliant we particularly loved the sweet corn fritters and the calamari starters. The view was amazing. One of the best places on the beach to eat.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

We went there because of how many people were eating and thought it was a good sign.We waited 30 mins for drinks and the were hot.Out of 6 of us 2 people were happy with their meals the rest were terrible.The owner wouldn't let us pay after we complained.It was the worst food I have ever had in Bali. Very disappointiing night.

4  Thank Glenda P
Soul on the Bea... B, Underwhelm Team Leader at Soul on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2017

It's always a relief when the victims are oblivious. Of course, we want to be busy but reducing the popularity of our restaurants so that we can make them more accessible to the appreciative elements of the general public is an ongoing challenge.

Glenda, I’m now convinced that we were correct to target you as a recipient of our ‘Underwhelm Policy’ even though that decision was taken based on somewhat sketchy intelligence from other food and beverage operators in our area. They let us know that you and your guests were stalking popular establishments in the area and that we should be on the lookout for a group who were impossible to satisfy. Of course, this sort of intel gets us all buzzing with nervous anticipation..

We were fortunate that this information came our way prior to our weekly management meeting thus enabling us to properly prepare for your arrival. We sent out well-disguised scouts every night for the next couple of days. The night your group were spotted on the promenade by these forward lookouts the alarm was raised and we dimmed the restaurant’s lights to the lowest level in the hope that you would pass us without notice. Unfortunately, the restaurant's popularity and the noise level generated by the other guests enjoying themselves and their meals must have caught your attention. Once we realised that our ruse to make the restaurant less obvious had failed; it was all hands on the floor to immediately implement 'Plan B'. This involves the speedy execution of our long-established and well-practiced 'Underwhelm Policy’.

On my signal, our staff cranked up the restaurant's heating system to maximum the instant your group were seated while I whispered to the floor manager "give them the warm ones" and quietly giggled in anticipation of the events to unfold. I then withdrew to the war room with my other co-conspirators.

Much to my horror, and ignoring the clearly laid out plans agreed in the weekly meeting, our head chef felt terrible that you were not enjoying your meals and decided to intervene to try and remedy the situation. Maybe he had been dozing during the weekly staff briefing. I tell you…I was flabbergasted when I saw him approach your table and apologise profusely. I was compelled to jump in to save the situation and ensure Plan B wasn’t scuppered.

(Rest assured we have subsequently terminated his employment, returning him to the ketchup gun at what I am sure is one of your favourite fast food restaurants)

As I entered the dining room all of my senses detected your dislike of fine and quality things. However, I was shocked to discover that, even with our best efforts to underwhelm your entire group, we had failed with two of your guests. My only recourse was to offer to compliment the entire cost of your meals in the hope that you would depart as quickly as possible. It was no surprise that you jumped at the opportunity.

On a side note, you really let the staff and other guests down that night by not making more of a noise. Usually, victims of our Underwhelm Policy are much more vocal. We keep a decibel meter in the war room and have a running bet on who will reach the 120 db level, you’re group only made 114 which was very disappointing. However, the staff were very happy that you prolonged my lambasting. They do so look forward to seeing people confront me at length.

So for now our hot table sits empty, and we are settling back into our routine of serving our scores of lovely and appreciative guests, while drinking fine wine and smoking cigars in the war room, and strategizing our next campaign. Happy days.

Reviewed 19 August 2017

So this is a little more expensive but the quality of the food is noticeably better. We had a very nice dinner (just over $70 Aus including drinks - still good, right!!) and breakfast the next day (without drinks $36 - again, still pretty good!). The only gripe I have with this place is that it takes a tad too long for food to come out - when it was busy and when it was quiet in the morning. Anyway, would recommend this one. New place and getting their groove I reckon. My wife loved this one - kids preferred Tootsy's as the milkshakes there rocked!!! :-)